Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Missed last night's Vostok show, just watching a recording and was not disappointed in case i missed a lie or two.

First watch and Mason "Exclusive to IW and not available elsewhere."

Yeah very exclusive.

BTW it's just an N1 Rocket with Biakal stuck on the dial and a different case back.

Oh and next up we had the "Took me 3 years to get my watch" story. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I caught some of the Swan & Edgar show last night, the great Peter S presenting. He mentioned having 40 years experience in watches, funny, it was 30 years on another show but hey, what's being a decade or two out between friends ;)

With all those decades of experience however, I was slightly confused by him. Why? Cause he was recommending buyers put a £199 S&E on the ... yes you've guessed it ... household insurance :) :) :)

And both he and the S&E guy mentioned the S&E store and its links with watch-making. Was it known for that? I appreciate it's not always 100% accurate, however Wiki doesn't say anything about the original store being a place/byword for anything timepiece related. I don't doubt they sold watches in the store, but was S&E known for watches back then?

I chuckled during the show as the S&E guy was saying Milanese and Peter S was saying Milanesey. There was even a bit where it was like this, one speaking right after the other:

S&E guy: Yes this has the Milanese strap option.
Peter S: Yeah, beautiful Milanesey this one.

Peter also mentioned 'Milanesey straps alone are costing around £60 just now, right?' (looking at the S&E guy). I've never heard a quieter or more reluctant 'yes' being spoken in my life :) :) :)

As for the straps, you get them cheaper than this but just as an example ...

I pronounce it milaneseie too, but I am autistic and say things literally as they are spelt. Not to excuse my good old friend pete. We've been friends since our days selling to the ancient Egyptians. Yeah, those stone age gullible fools.

Okay I'll leave it be after this. Maybe Peter has some Italian in him? Skip to 40 secs ...

Nah, don't think he's Italian, just he lucked out on how Italians pronounce it, It's not like he's actually making any effort to pronounce words/watch terms or anything else as they sound in the Country of the words origin, so why pick just Milanese, but given he's speaking to British audience then he should just pronounce it as it is pronounced here.

I caught some of the Swan & Edgar show last night, the great Peter S presenting. He mentioned having 40 years experience in watches, funny, it was 30 years on another show but hey, what's being a decade or two out between friends ;)

With all those decades of experience however, I was slightly confused by him. Why? Cause he was recommending buyers put a £199 S&E on the ... yes you've guessed it ... household insurance :) :) :)

And both he and the S&E guy mentioned the S&E store and its links with watch-making. Was it known for that? I appreciate it's not always 100% accurate, however Wiki doesn't say anything about the original store being a place/byword for anything timepiece related. I don't doubt they sold watches in the store, but was S&E known for watches back then?

I chuckled during the show as the S&E guy was saying Milanese and Peter S was saying Milanesey. There was even a bit where it was like this, one speaking right after the other:

S&E guy: Yes this has the Milanese strap option.
Peter S: Yeah, beautiful Milanesey this one.

Peter also mentioned 'Milanesey straps alone are costing around £60 just now, right?' (looking at the S&E guy). I've never heard a quieter or more reluctant 'yes' being spoken in my life :) :) :)

As for the straps, you get them cheaper than this but just as an example ...

I'm waiting for the latest Fields Luxury Ltd accounts to be posted at Companies House, last one was April last year, total employees then was 1, and that includes James Field, so will be interesting to see how the work force has grown with all these designers and watchmakers Swan & Edgar allegedly have. ;)

Probably a true reflection on Swan & Edgar prices is at TK MAXX, scroll down the page and you can see the prices for these luxury horological wonders. ;)

I'm waiting for the latest Fields Luxury Ltd accounts to be posted at Companies House, last one was April last year, total employees then was 1, and that includes James Field, so will be interesting to see how the work force has grown with all these designers and watchmakers Swan & Edgar allegedly have. ;)

Probably a true reflection on Swan & Edgar prices is at TK MAXX, scroll down the page and you can see the prices for these luxury horological wonders. ;)

All I'm going to say is heads will surely roll at TK Maxx. They've evidently missed a zero or two off those prices!

It makes me laugh when they're selling the S&E Tourbillion and Peter extols 'TOURBILLONS WOULD NORMALLY COST YOU THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS!!!'

From what I can see online, yes, you can find very expensive ones. Equally, you can find ones that are emmm, very cheap. I'm not saying they have any quality about them, however my limited research indicates they can be had from under £100 upwards. So they don't HAVE to cost thousands.

It makes me laugh when they're selling the S&E Tourbillion and Peter extols 'TOURBILLONS WOULD NORMALLY COST YOU THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS!!!'

From what I can see online, yes, you can find very expensive ones. Equally, you can find ones that are emmm, very cheap. I'm not saying they have any quality about them, however my limited research indicates they can be had from under £100 upwards. So they don't HAVE to cost thousands.

That's not a tourbillon watch, just an automatic open heart watch movement, seller is just trying to con folk, quite a common practice on Ali etc to see open hearts described as tourbillons. All you see moving in an open heart movement is the balance wheel spinning back and forth and the escapement is rigid in place, which is what the video on that page is showing. In a tourbillon the whole escapement including the balance wheel is rotating, If you watch the video on this tourbillon watch you see how it should look. :)

But 100% agreed with the point you're making, they don't have to cost thousands and can be had for a few hundred, which the link above shows.

Not copying Omega at allo_O
1630175892727.png

You would think that, considering the Nubeo tourbillon is the watch of all watches, incredible etc etc watch, and these two are mesmerised by it and it's has an RRP of £4500, that at that kinda price they would tell you what tourbillon movement is in it. Not a peep. What point is having a guest expert if he NEVER ever mentions who's or what movement is in the watches when the movement originate in China, which covers most of the watches he sells, he's never slow to mention when a watch has Slava movements, although on some occasions he's actually wrong, he's never slow to mention when it's Swiss movements, but when it comes to Chinese Movements, the silence is deafening, in fact I don't think I've ever heard China pass his lips.
And how it ain't that big a bargain, although it's a big reduction from the RRP and £1899.99 on IW, the American shopping channel were selling it at approx £900. :eek:

Wish i worked in the sound dept at IW, when he's on flogging his watches, I'd have T'Pau's "China in your hands" as the background music. ;):ROFLMAO:

Oh Jonathan now blowing his own trumpet, he's been around the world, visited many watchmakers, held watches up to £15,000,000 (could have been 50 hard to understand him) blah blah, yet no mention bankruptcy which he's an expert on, or the failed online retailer him and his wife ran.:rolleyes:

Thought IW were bad, was just flicking channel late last night to TJC and my god they are worse than IW. :eek:

Some youngish guy, mark i think his name was, with a poor attempt at a beard, speaking some absolute :poop:, and i mean absolute and utter :poop:, worse than Miss precision, Launching a brand new watch, Christophe Duchamp 'Etoile', reduced from £1495 to £299. Honestly even £299 is way, way over priced. Oh and the price was all down to this guy Mark persuading the higher ups at TJC.

At one point they had sold 86 and he said they had saved customers combined over £100,000. :eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

They ended up selling 125, geesh lot of idiots watching late night shopping channels. :eek::(

Christophe Duchamp - "A collection of prestigious, high precision, quality time pieces. Designed and developed in Switzerland, a Christophe Duchamp timepiece combines classic style and functionality with high performance and innovation."

They even show a picture of a factory in Mendrisio, Switzerland.

All sounds good until you investigate and it's a new brand set up in Surrey last year, and the picture of the factory is actually a picture, which is obviously pinched and being used fraudulently, of Swiss Military/Roamer's factory in the opposite side of Switzerland, it's no where near Mendrisio. They say they have Swiss movements, and according to Mark "Swiss quartz movements, the most expensive movements you can get for watches" :ROFLMAO:, but given the watches are made in China it's more than likely they are Chinese "Swiss" movements from Hong Kong. Oh and in Mark stupid brain it's a fully working chronograph, but in the real world it's just has a month, date and day/night sub dials, not a chrono in the slightest. :ROFLMAO:

On their web site (Christophe Duchamp), coming soon, they want £1800 for a skeleton chrono with a £25 Chinese movement in it. :eek:

Another new brand trying to con folks into spending a fortune on cheap Chinese watches.

World is full of con artists these days. :mad:

Latest posts

Back