White Gold no longer as white

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

discolouration.

Proper 'white' gold is actually an alloy of metals, as is 'rose' gold, whether its 9 or 18k. I beleive silver is used with yellow gold to give the 'white' colour, and its copper to give the 'rose' colour, but this is done during the manufacturing when the metals are molten, and should not ever 'wear off' or 'discolour'

Plating is a different process, and just a coating(s) of one metal over another. This can wear off over time, (espcially if the plating was thin or poor quality to begin with, but also just with general wear & tear.)

This can often happen with rhodium, as it is mega expensive to use,(costlier that platinum) and is also quite a soft metal, so cost apart, its also not practical to use in the same way gold or silver is to set 'gems' into, and usually just used to 'enhance' a setting or stone.

Whichever way its done, I beleive a company should make it perfectly clear exactly what you are buying.

Hope this helps. A friend of mine who is mega physics/chemistry boffin at Oxford University explained all this...however....it did take almost 4 hours, 3 bottles of wine and a very thready pulse at times!...so hope all the facts are correct!:22:

oooo...missed a bit! Its normally silver mixed with yellow gold to make white gold, but platinum & pallidum is also used, and usually 1 of the 3....not a mix...

My brain aches now.:52:

I got my ring back from Outwork yesterday and it is lovely and white again!!!! :D

Brilliant result, shame you had to put up such a fight to get it done but all's well that ends well.

Got any before and after pics?

Brilliant result, shame you had to put up such a fight to get it done but all's well that ends well.

Got any before and after pics?

No I don't have before and after pics, should have done some I guess. Mind you I am not good at taking photos of jewellery.

As soon as I opened the packaged the ring just sparkled at me, could see it was no longer yellow but overall test was putting it beside my new ring and there was no glaring yellow tinge coming from it so I am a happy bunny now. :)

Sure someone did a great post some time ago which stated the standards for white gold have changed, hence some people have pieces that are donkeys years old and still great whereas some of the newer pieces aren't so good.

Sure someone did a great post some time ago which stated the standards for white gold have changed, hence some people have pieces that are donkeys years old and still great whereas some of the newer pieces aren't so good.

I have a vague recollection of a post like that too.

All golds (white, yellow, rose, etc including even the exotic coloured ones used by Patek Philippe et seq) are alloys unless they are 24 carat.

Some white golds are, in fact, distinctly yellow when placed next to a genuine silver surface for comparison. Many are rhodium plated before sale and as the plate wears off the underlying colour comes through.

It's the way of the world, I'm afraid.

Huge amounts of information re gold is available at www.24carat.co.uk and also at www.familysealrings.com/Die-Stamped_Rings.html

Latest posts

Back