Divine Fragrance

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

His buddy Pervy Pete is on screaming about the products and how we should rush to "buy it!" He's just screamed, and I mean screamed "I've never seen a halogen oven for £40!!!!" The stupid git mustn't remember that they had them on three weeks ago for £40 with free p&p, and Bid come to think of it, honestly the fool is insufferable".........time to change the channel now.

He's exhausting to watch this evening - he's becoming quite hysterical (and I don't mean funny haha). I needed ear plugs when I flicked over for the Williams Car Collection. The guy with him must have earplugs in to maintain his good humour in the face of the incoherent, incomplete sentenced ranting spewing forth from Peter's mouth. I'm surprised he wasn't foaming at the mouth, so hyped up was he!

He's exhausting to watch this evening - he's becoming quite hysterical (and I don't mean funny haha). I needed ear plugs when I flicked over for the Williams Car Collection. The guy with him must have earplugs in to maintain his good humour in the face of the incoherent, incomplete sentenced ranting spewing forth from Peter's mouth. I'm surprised he wasn't foaming at the mouth, so hyped up was he!

Totally agree May, his performance is ridiculous and I've absolutely no idea how he's getting away with acting like this, all I can think of is he's got something on the Bosses at IW.

Oh dear - made the mistake of flicking back. Worse than Charlie Brook - he's chewing and speaking at the same time. Camera zooming in on his mastication.... :puke:

Plus this rotisserie seems to burn everything - why would you want burnt offerings???

When I watched him before it was bizarre to watch, he was rambling and shouting at the same time, you know the excitement you'd expect if he just won the Lottery, not over a halogen oven that he's seen a hundred times before, I just don't get it.

Agreed about the luxury bit. Personally I would rather spend £40 on a decent perfume than two cheaper ones. They may be perfectly OK but I would rather put the money towards something decent. And there are so many brands out there I would not bother with something I cannot smell that I probably would have to send back. And the design of the bottle is really important with perfume, we all know that.

Totally agree with this. I woudn't buy an aftershave with a hipflask or Shelock's other cheap looking tat.

My take on this. A guy with a passion for fragrance wishes to enter into business and launch his own brand. This probably takes a lot of money and backing. Firstly to buy the raw materials, packaging, and means of production and to then market the fragrance. I'm guessing Peter Sherlock isn't a rich man by any stretch of the imagination and so he's probably had to borrow a lot of money and convince investors to get on board. Like any small business he's not going to be challenging the major brands over night and so he's focused on making the best fragrances at the lowest possible price point to try and cover his own costs and make the brand which is new and unknown appealing to new customers. Obviously he's not going to heap costs onto the consumer by sticking it in expensive bottles and fancy packaging, and neither can he afford expensive advertising. So he's found a niche selling via shopping channels to people who recognise him which will hopefully generate wider interest and allow him to expand.
I bought a bottle of his mens aftershave and based my decision on the fact that at £15.99 I wasn't going to be out of pocket if I hated it and I'd be left with a nice hip flask to boot. As it happens I rather like the smell and I've spent a lot more on stuff that's not as good. I'm not pretending its as good as Tom Ford but it doesn't cost 70 quid either. If you look on his FB page you'll see he's sold many thousands of bottles of his own brand perfumes and has lots of satisfied customers. Here's the thing; nobody is forcing anyone to buy it. Nobody is forcing anyone to watch him on TV. We all have freedom of choice about where we shop and the products that appeal to us. If you prefer the big name brands because you like their adverts or the way they look on your shelves or that you can test them out first in Boots then that's entirely your prerogative. Maybe the haters need to cut him a bit of slack?

Last edited:
When I watched him before it was bizarre to watch, he was rambling and shouting at the same time, you know the excitement you'd expect if he just won the Lottery, not over a halogen oven that he's seen a hundred times before, I just don't get it.

Did you see the pork joint? The crackling was fine but when a slice was cut from the pork, it looked underdone. They looked at each other with mild horror and then turned the joint round and moved on.........'now, we're very busy'

Obviously the medication needs major adjustment....again. I keep missing Pope Pete when he's doing an hour, and sad person that I am I must admit to suffering from withdrawal symptoms, hearing "buy it! Just buy it!" in my head, and a garbled variety of percentage figures that have "gone". Must be the Power of Pete, that Icon of TV. I suppose they'll all get increasing manic as Christmas approaches, so the volume control's going to get a lot of use!
His buddy Pervy Pete is on screaming about the products and how we should rush to "buy it!" He's just screamed, and I mean screamed "I've never seen a halogen oven for £40!!!!" The stupid git mustn't remember that they had them on three weeks ago for £40 with free p&p, and Bid come to think of it, honestly the fool is insufferable".........time to change the channel now.

My take on this. A guy with a passion for fragrance wishes to enter into business and launch his own brand. This probably takes a lot of money and backing. Firstly to buy the raw materials, packaging, and means of production and to then market the fragrance. I'm guessing Peter Sherlock isn't a rich man by any stretch of the imagination and so he's probably had to borrow a lot of money and convince investors to get on board. Like any small business he's not going to be challenging the major brands over night and so he's focused on making the best fragrances at the lowest possible price point to try and cover his own costs and make the brand which is new and unknown appealing to new customers. Obviously he's not going to heap costs onto the consumer by sticking it in expensive bottles and fancy packaging, and neither can he afford expensive advertising. So he's found a niche selling via shopping channels to people who recognise him which will hopefully generate wider interest and allow him to expand.
I bought a bottle of his mens aftershave and based my decision on the fact that at £15.99 I wasn't going to be out of pocket if I hated it and I'd be left with a nice hip flask to boot. As it happens I rather like the smell and I've spent a lot more on stuff that's not as good. I'm not pretending its as good as Tom Ford but it doesn't cost 70 quid either. If you look on his FB page you'll see he's sold many thousands of bottles of his own brand perfumes and has lots of satisfied customers. Here's the thing; nobody is forcing anyone to buy it. Nobody is forcing anyone to watch him on TV. We all have freedom of choice about where we shop and the products that appeal to us. If you prefer the big name brands because you like their adverts or the way they look on your shelves or that you can test them out first in Boots then that's entirely your prerogative. Maybe the haters need to cut him a bit of slack?

Yah. OK. Yawn.

Forgive my cynicism but we are talking about former Bid TV / Sit-up associates here. Having witnessed some of their dodgy and questioable selling/presentation practices of the past, I am inclined not to be so forgiving particularly as some of these presenters are doing the same/similar things on Ideal World, i.e. Peter Simon not telling the whole truth about the cost of the products and Peter Sherlock pulling a fast-one on anti-ageing serums and potions...

As far as I am concerned, their reputation will follow them where ever they go. It is to Ideal World's discredit that they are re-employing these characters, in my opinion.

Well first of all, I'm talking about Peter Sherlock not Peter Simon. I'm not into this guilt by association thing. But the thing is Greg, I understand why people have reservations about buying unknown fragrances but what I don't get is the level of bile Peter Sherlock attracts from some quarters here. I bought some, it was less than 20 quid, it smells pretty good and it was delivered quickly. What's not to love about that?

Well first of all, I'm talking about Peter Sherlock not Peter Simon. I'm not into this guilt by association thing. But the thing is Greg, I understand why people have reservations about buying unknown fragrances but what I don't get is the level of bile Peter Sherlock attracts from some quarters here. I bought some, it was less than 20 quid, it smells pretty good and it was delivered quickly. What's not to love about that?

Oh I see, sorry Peter, I mean Chad, I suppose Peter Shlock was forced to say that the Charlie perfume he sold on Bid was the cheapest price around at £24.99 for three plus £7.99 p&p, almost £33 when they sold them in the Home and Bargain for £4.99 each was he? There are people with not much money out there, so believing him they've actually been ripped off! Yes ripped off! Mind you, 128 fines by the ASA can't be wrong hey.

Yah. OK. Yawn.

Forgive my cynicism but we are talking about former Bid TV / Sit-up associates here. Having witnessed some of their dodgy and questioable selling/presentation practices of the past, I am inclined not to be so forgiving particularly as some of these presenters are doing the same/similar things on Ideal World, i.e. Peter Simon not telling the whole truth about the cost of the products and Peter Sherlock pulling a fast-one on anti-ageing serums and potions...

As far as I am concerned, their reputation will follow them where ever they go. It is to Ideal World's discredit that they are re-employing these characters, in my opinion.

Excellently put Greg, well said. Must admit, I got to Chads post and I've read shorter novels, so I've not read it.

Charlie - that takes me back! You can get it at Beauty Base for £4.99 for the different "colours" - they don't have the original at present from what I see.
There are a number of very cheaply priced fragrances but they are nicely boxed and well presented. We taste our food first with eyes and noses... we smell our fragrances first with our eyes - and if it doesn't look appealing we won't get as far as spraying a little to try, in my experience.

Oh I see, sorry Peter, I mean Chad, I suppose Peter Shlock was forced to say that the Charlie perfume he sold on Bid was the cheapest price around at £24.99 for three plus £7.99 p&p, almost £33 when they sold them in the Home and Bargain for £4.99 each was he? There are people with not much money out there, so believing him they've actually been ripped off! Yes ripped off! Mind you, 128 fines by the ASA can't be wrong hey.

He should be burned at the stake at the very least.

Actually what happens is:

Go to a chemical company which makes fragrances for many many many brands, their are loads which will make a special fragrance to your wants quite cheaply. Unless you are using very expensive ingredients and not synthetic(many perfumes today use mainly synthetics), 10 gallons it not an arm and a leg to buy. The actual cost of the liquid is really a lot cheaper than many thing, its the advertising etc which costs the big money. If you are selling via a website cuts costs no end. Glass bottles well look at the knock off Chanels etc, buy them cheap from China. Its said there is a warehouse in China where many cosmetic companies go(not highend which have their own), you pick out the colours, packaging etc and they make them up for very very little money. Then sold on for 3 times the amount cost to make. Take the niche brands which are turning up in TKMaxx at them moment. L'Artisan Parfumeur going for £24.99-39.99, since on the L'Artisan's own site and even House of Fraser at full price of £70-115. So it shows how cheaply the juice actually is, if TKMaxx can make profit. By the way not fakes but no doubt bought from the Grey Market. The Grey Market is where the original brands sells to a country, usually far east but they do not sell the amount of stock expected. So what they do as they now own the products is sell it back to the West to make money. No good products just sitting on shelves forever not selling.

Tom Ford good deal for that price, so not his private collection then.

Actually what happens is:

Go to a chemical company which makes fragrances for many many many brands, their are loads which will make a special fragrance to your wants quite cheaply. Unless you are using very expensive ingredients and not synthetic(many perfumes today use mainly synthetics), 10 gallons it not an arm and a leg to buy. The actual cost of the liquid is really a lot cheaper than many thing, its the advertising etc which costs the big money. If you are selling via a website cuts costs no end. Glass bottles well look at the knock off Chanels etc, buy them cheap from China. Its said there is a warehouse in China where many cosmetic companies go(not highend which have their own), you pick out the colours, packaging etc and they make them up for very very little money. Then sold on for 3 times the amount cost to make. Take the niche brands which are turning up in TKMaxx at them moment. L'Artisan Parfumeur going for £24.99-39.99, since on the L'Artisan's own site and even House of Fraser at full price of £70-115. So it shows how cheaply the juice actually is, if TKMaxx can make profit. By the way not fakes but no doubt bought from the Grey Market. The Grey Market is where the original brands sells to a country, usually far east but they do not sell the amount of stock expected. So what they do as they now own the products is sell it back to the West to make money. No good products just sitting on shelves forever not selling.

Tom Ford good deal for that price, so not his private collection then.

Thanks for the reply. Given what you say then Peter Sherlock's range doesn't seem over priced. The only debate then is whether they smell any good and whether you'd take a punt without smelling it first. I did and I'm not diappointed. I think the issue is whether it's fair to judge his fragrance range based on perceptions about his previous employers (Bid TV) and the other people who worked there. Reading some responses it seems that some people are suggesting they won't buy Divine Fragrances because they don't like Peter Simon or because they'd prefer to shell out on expensive bottles and packaging. I wouldn't judge them for that but why the need to heap personal abuse on Peter Sherlock?

Latest posts

Back