Divine Fragrance

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Oh I see, sorry Peter, I mean Chad, I suppose Peter Shlock was forced to say that the Charlie perfume he sold on Bid was the cheapest price around at £24.99 for three plus £7.99 p&p, almost £33 when they sold them in the Home and Bargain for £4.99 each was he? There are people with not much money out there, so believing him they've actually been ripped off! Yes ripped off! Mind you, 128 fines by the ASA can't be wrong hey.

But he's not on bid any more! And yes we do know that the producers did actively encourage its presenters to exaggerate and lie, can't think offhand of any bid presenter that I didn't hear spouting BS..No Andy Hodgson seemed ok, however my point is this. Peter Sherlock is trying to sell his perfume, he obviously has a passion for what he does and if people are prepared to take a chance and buy a perfume in an amateur looking bottle without smelling it first (although I think the reusable hipflask is a lovely touch) then good luck to him! I've said this time and time again and that is I think they should sent out samples of the perfumes say with other orders, or even supply mini phials for a nominal price so potential customers can not only smell them but try them out for staying power.

But he's not on bid any more! And yes we do know that the producers did actively encourage its presenters to exaggerate and lie, can't think offhand of any bid presenter that I didn't hear spouting BS..No Andy Hodgson seemed ok, however my point is this. Peter Sherlock is trying to sell his perfume, he obviously has a passion for what he does and if people are prepared to take a chance and buy a perfume in an amateur looking bottle without smelling it first (although I think the reusable hipflask is a lovely touch) then good luck to him! I've said this time and time again and that is I think they should sent out samples of the perfumes say with other orders, or even supply mini phials for a nominal price so potential customers can not only smell them but try them out for staying power.

Er........my comment was about guilty by association, obviously I know he isn't on Bid but the sales tactics seem to be the same, as they are with Peter Simon, but poop sticks as they say. I think the bottles and the name of his perfumes are rubbish, you buy with your eyes on shopping tv, so an ugly bottle just doesn't do it and as a perfume expert you'd think he'd be aware of this, but not to worry, I'm not arsed either way, just making observations.

I just visited the IW website and watched a couple of videos of the two Peters flogging these scents. Yet again, they prove to be beyond parody and, yes, La Simon went into full-on worry angel mode: "When you fight that unbeatable foe, when you dream that impossible dream..." What that piffle has to do with selling fragrance is anyone's guess. Imagine the perfume saleslady spouting that line to you in a shop?! And how many unique ingredients does your scent have, Mr Sherlock, 71, 81? Seems you couldn't make up your mind. Neither could the IW graphics people, who called the Matinee Idol fragrance "Matinee of Love" on the text on screen. A real hark back to the old days of Bid and therefore the biggest laugh I've all had week.

Er........my comment was about guilty by association, obviously I know he isn't on Bid but the sales tactics seem to be the same, as they are with Peter Simon, but poop sticks as they say. I think the bottles and the name of his perfumes are rubbish, you buy with your eyes on shopping tv, so an ugly bottle just doesn't do it and as a perfume expert you'd think he'd be aware of this, but not to worry, I'm not arsed either way, just making observations.

I think Sherlock as a'perfume expert' is somewhat exaggerated. What pedigree has he outside of the seedy TV shopping network bubble? Is he well-known and an established figure within the major European perfume houses? Does he regularly contribute articles in the major fashion magazine publications?

I think Sherlock as a'perfume expert' is somewhat exaggerated. What pedigree has he outside of the seedy TV shopping network bubble?

Not that seedy that it gets in the way of you watching it though Greg? How do yo square that circle? What qualifies you to comment on Peter's fragrance range. Have you ever smelt any of them?

Not that seedy that it gets in the way of you watching it though Greg? How do yo square that circle? What qualifies you to comment on Peter's fragrance range. Have you ever smelt any of them?

Isn't that what selly telly is all about? Viewers watching their products? To be honest I can get better deals on the internet than on any of the TV shopping networks.

Quite honestly, I'm not drawn to Peter Sherloock's products. They look cheap and tacky. I haven't seen any of them in the High Street to test them out, which would be the first thing I would do if drawn to a particular product. I never bother buying aftershave without testing it first. I would look at the track record of the company/persons behind the aftershave on offer. This is why I am interested in Mr. Sherlock's track record/background because anyone nowadays can produce and market these products. Celebrities do it all the time, but it doesn't mean any of them are any good... As a consumer, I am as qualified as anyone else to comment on a product or claims by presenters/advertisements/recommendations. This is what the forum is here for.

I think Sherlock as a'perfume expert' is somewhat exaggerated. What pedigree has he outside of the seedy TV shopping network bubble? Is he well-known and an established figure within the major European perfume houses? Does he regularly contribute articles in the major fashion magazine publications?

I agree it is exaggerated, IW are for some reason carrying on the ridiculous notion that ex Bid tv presenters are somehow "celebrities" if you remember Peter Shlock done fragrance there too and the most laughable thing ever to hit shopping telly, when they made a Peter Simon doll (I know, hilarious!) The stupid name Shlock gave his perfumes and the most plain, boring bottles the fragrance was put in, just shows that it was a token effort at getting in the perfume game and most certainty not a serious, genuine attempt.

I agree it is exaggerated, IW are for some reason carrying on the ridiculous notion that ex Bid tv presenters are somehow "celebrities" if you remember Peter Shlock done fragrance there too and the most laughable thing ever to hit shopping telly, when they made a Peter Simon doll (I know, hilarious!) The stupid name Shlock gave his perfumes and the most plain, boring bottles the fragrance was put in, just shows that it was a token effort at getting in the perfume game and most certainty not a serious, genuine attempt.

I remember that too, shopperholic. Bid had a habit of buying crap from China and the Far-East and peddling it as high-end luxuries with fancy names, exaggerated claims and little in the way of proving provenance. Sherlock's smells appear to be no different, in my opinion.

I remember that too, shopperholic. Bid had a habit of buying crap from China and the Far-East and peddling it as high-end luxuries with fancy names, exaggerated claims and little in the way of proving provenance. Sherlock's smells appear to be no different, in my opinion.

No mine neither, buy cheap and knock it out at a high profit, they played on the fact he was liked by their customers so put his name on the bottle then voilà! profit written all over it, pretty much like they played on peoples insecurities with those Worry Angels, they missed an opening there though, if they'd have whacked "Peter Sherlock presents the Worry Angels" on the box, they'd have probably shifted the lot.

I get the impression as with alot of folk in life Peter Sherlock got into cosmetics/perfumes/make up/aftershaves some years ago and as he has been in that type of work for so long he doesnt want or know how to get out of it and get a full time occupation in another sector (nothing personnal btw as I am talking from my point of view also)

Its like a last throw of the dice going on IW, and IW are probabaly the only last chance left for Peter in telly selling terms and IW wont be losing much if anything as they are probably paying peanuts to him (this probably is the same for all the ex bid TV salesfolk on IW)

By the way on this debate, like many others I find it utterly bizarre for anyone to but a perfume/aftershave etc without known the smell, thats just crazy to me haha

Btw as stated above this is nothing personnal just my own take on the situation.

Isn't that what selly telly is all about? Viewers watching their products? To be honest I can get better deals on the internet than on any of the TV shopping networks.

Quite honestly, I'm not drawn to Peter Sherloock's products. They look cheap and tacky. I haven't seen any of them in the High Street to test them out, which would be the first thing I would do if drawn to a particular product. I never bother buying aftershave without testing it first. I would look at the track record of the company/persons behind the aftershave on offer. This is why I am interested in Mr. Sherlock's track record/background because anyone nowadays can produce and market these products. Celebrities do it all the time, but it doesn't mean any of them are any good... As a consumer, I am as qualified as anyone else to comment on a product or claims by presenters/advertisements/recommendations. This is what the forum is here for.

Fair enough. But you haven't smelt any? I've got the aftershave and it's great.

It really doesn't matter! With fragrance what one person thinks is great, the other might think smells like poop, so it doesn't really matter wether he's smelt them or not, doesn't make a blind bit of difference. Same with presentation, we think it's awful, you think it's great........me personally I think the bottles look ugly and cheap, could be the best perfume in the world but the bottles still look ugly and cheap. I've found my perfect fragrance and it's called "Just Pink" by Next. It's not expensive but it's beautifully presented showing that Next have put some love, time and effort into it, something I feel PS hasn't done.

It matters if he's passing judgement on it and has zero knowledge of the most important thing about it, namely what it smells like. Basing a decision on buying perfume on Peter Simons personality or Bid TV's selling tactics strikes me as bizarre.

That's great! Congratulations!

But it will take a lot more other than a random user to convince me to buy Sherlock's stuff. For example, I googled 'Matinee Idol review' and found nothing related to a fashion or lifestyle magazine website article, no endorsements by real fashion experts, no reviews or recommendations in any of the fragrance description/base notes sites, no evidence of marketing or advertising, except through the Ideal Word website. There needs to be something more for it gain my attention and confidence. There is a whole process that potential buyers go through before purchasing.

It matters if he's passing judgement on it and has zero knowledge of the most important thing about it, namely what it smells like. Basing a decision on buying perfume on Peter Simons personality or Bid TV's selling tactics strikes me as bizarre.

Why does it strike you as bizarre? I wouldn't buy a thing from Peter Simon either, the man is the most disingenuous person ever to grace shopping TV, if he can't give you the right details on price "it's twenty pound!!" Er.....no it's not, it's £40, £20 is one easy payment, but of course he fails to add that. Can I just ask, if you went in to a shop, say to buy a car, and the sales assistant described it to you as "just buy it, just buy it"........and that's it, would you? No I didn't think so, so nothing bizarre about it, he's the most untrustworthy sales assistant ever and how he's still employed is anyone's guess.

That's great! Congratulations!

But it will take a lot more other than a random user to convince me to buy Sherlock's stuff. For example, I googled 'Matinee Idol review' and found nothing related to a fashion or lifestyle magazine website article, no endorsements by real fashion experts, no reviews or recommendations in any of the fragrance description/base notes sites, no evidence of marketing or advertising, except through the Ideal Word website. There needs to be something more for it gain my attention and confidence. There is a whole process that potential buyers go through before purchasing.

Yes but marketing costs money. Lots of money. Peter Sherlock clearly doesn't have the budget, even for a small scale advertising campaign targetting niche magazines or web sites. It doesn't seem unreasonable then for him to sell via a medium he knows well and to people who recognise him in the hope that he has some success that gives him a platform to build on. I take the view that he's putting his money where his mouth is and actually getting out there and doing something. To me that deserves praise and if he makes a few bob doing it then good luck to him (although I bet his profit margins are wafer thin). I understand if people don't want to buy his stuff untested but I don't get all the posts that are knocking him down. He works in an industry with zero job security and he's branching out trying to make a living by diversifying. If this was America he'd be a role model.

No-one is knocking him down. I don't think he would be considered a role model in America either, frankly. Advertising and marketing is only part of the picture. Mr. Sherlock says he is a perfumes expert, so where are his contacts in the industry? Has he not made use of the his network developed over decades of dispensing his expertise?

Who ever you are Chad, you can paint it anyway you like, collecting miniature perfume bottles does not a perfumer make.

Really? Are we reading the same thread? Anyway, I've nothing to add to what's been said. I hope he does well.

I don't think anyone want's him to fail, and I believe he has a passion for his brand, and his ability in his business. The problem is not by association with other presenters from Bid, but as I/W is showing a marked move toward what Bid was, people are drawing similarities with his previous employers, and they (and some on here), remember the "Antics", and let say fibs. The ASA findings can't all be wrong, or can they?
From my point of view, all the ex bid mob helped to make the bid channel fail, so whether they acted on initiative or by being told what to say or do is now irrelevant. Some now are on I/W, and with them goes the failings of the channel that was Bid. I think to his credit, he has put his money where his mouth is and he should be applauded for that. I wish Peter Sherlock all the best for the future.

Latest posts

Back