Divine Fragrance

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ROLE MODEL???????

You have a very very very very very strange idea what the hell a role model is. Its not someone selling stuff! Making something that saves a life ,someone who stands up to help others. That is a role model!

Well why not send samples to say Grant the owner of Basenotes(UK based) forum, get him to review? Quite cheap I would say and Grant is very honest. Perfume is a very personal thing, one person's smell like crap is another's holy grail. I do many blind buys(buying without actually smelling the perfume), been very lucky as I read reviews study the notes. Not just a few notes given but finding the near as can full list. Not the airy fairy descriptions given of stormy oceans, great duke duck face wore this. Different reviews give different opinions, I then make a decision yes or no. Sometimes I read loads of bad reviews of a perfume, but buy and love it.

I own quite a few niche brands but also love Coty Wild Musk Oil(worn that since a teen), has to be oil version for me.

Role models come in all shapes and sizes and from all walks of life and aren't just limited to your rather narrow description. I would say that someone starting their own business from nothing in a very tough industry is a role model yes. Somebody who is fed up of just "selling stuff" and has decided to make stuff and put his name on it and stake his own money and reputation on it is in my opinion a role model. You sound well informed about the fragrance industry and how it works, but how do you know if Peter decided that selling his stuff via shopping tele was a better way of getting his products out there than sending samples to Basenotes? Perhaps he has sent free samples out to other outlets? He did personally offer on another thread to send samples to some of the people making disparaging comments without having smelt the perfumes. It's pretty easy to criticise from behind a keyboard, but maybe you should recognise how difficult it is to stand up and be counted and give the bloke a break? Has he personally slighted you in some way? What is it that angers you so much about him?

Last edited:
Some of the posts here show a level of animosity towards him that I don't personally understand. I don't do Facebook but my wife had a look on his page after we bought Matinée Idol and it appears that he interacts with people on there. Why not post your suggestions and feedback on there? I'm sure he'd welcome constructive criticism and positive ideas. The suggestion about sending samples to Basenotes seems reasonable for instance.

Oh by the way, does he know there already is a French perfume house called DIVINE which has been going for a number of years. Gorgeous fragrances. Someone might be hit with copyright over the name, not the French House.

He doesn't seem to come on here these days which is understandable. Why not ask him on his Facebook page?

He doesn't seem to come on here these days which is understandable. Why not ask him on his Facebook page?

Oh get over yourself, he doesn't come on here "which is understandable" why? because people don't like his sales techniques or perfume? Bid went bust for a reason and untrustworthy, unbelievable presenters contributed to it and they're carrying that legacy on at IW too, and I personally don't like it. As for "role model" he hardly started from scratch now did he? he had the financial backing from two shopping channels and free publicity costing millions of pounds that reaches thousands, with a potential to reach millions of people, so no I'm sorry, I'm not buying that, the poor woe is me act! You're obviously a friend of Peters if not Peter himself, but let him know it's not personal it's his job and perfume that's getting commented on, not him personally and as for "give him a break" I think being on Shopping TV which gets his profile out there to millions is more of a break than most talented men and women will ever get.

I wish he'd go away and get a job. Since Bid, he's been hovering around with his foot in the door. He'll do anything to get his mug on the telly. He was Bid's perfume buyer which has escalated into him being a 'perfume expert'???

If you like his stuff, fine. I won't ever buy any, fine. End of!

Silly me for trying to write something positive, I forgot that's not the way things roll here. I like his aftershave, I thought I'd share my review and give him some kudos. You don't like it because he once sold Charlie at a pricepoint you thought was too high, and you don't like Peter Simon, or Bid TV, and he's not an expert. You haven't smelt it but you don't need/want to in order to pass judgement. Oh and I must be him, or his best mate at least, or I worked at Bid TV. I think I understand now. Nurse!. :headbang::headbang:

Silly me for trying to write something positive, I forgot that's not the way things roll here. I like his aftershave, I thought I'd share my review and give him some kudos. You don't like it because he once sold Charlie at a pricepoint you thought was too high, and you don't like Peter Simon, or Bid TV, and he's not an expert. You haven't smelt it but you don't need/want to in order to pass judgement. Oh and I must be him, or his best mate at least, or I worked at Bid TV. I think I understand now. Nurse!. :headbang::headbang:

No that's just two reasons, Bid went bust for a reason and were fined 128 times by the ASA, that's proof enough to "how they rolled"

Chad, I think you are overlooking the downright whoppers that were told frequently - not just a one-off or genuine slip of the tongue, but deliberately. As far as I'm concerned, what's been said on here about PS has not been vitriolic, but genuine opinion. No one's accused him of being a mass murderer, so please don't be so dramatic. If you are in the public eye, people will comment - Fact. Get over it (heat? kitchen?). I also haven't forgotten the self-pitying whining that went on (from him and Sally Jaxx, and probably others) when Bid went bust - overlooking the fact that many anonymous people had paid good money for things they would never receive. Who whined for them? Were they even mentioned by the "I'm so sorry for myself" brigade? No, don't think so. Peter and Sally Jaxx made themselves look rather silly at the time IMO - I for one cannot believe that the presenters who worked there did not know they were in dire straits long before the final crash, so they might fool some people with the "who would have thought it?" act, but not most, I'm afraid. And as someone on here has said, he's looked increasingly desperate moving from one selly telly channel to the next over the past year or so.

I didn't watch Bid so have no axe to grind. I am going purely on what I personally expect to find in the perfume proposition... and for me that does include attractive packaging. However cheap a product is, it's still got to be paid for, and I have only bought perfumes online that I have been able to try first.

I think it would be an excellent idea if IW / Peter Sherlock did a sampler for the perfumes he's selling. I would also strongly encourage him to put a bit more focus on the packaging as however much time and effort he has invested in the contents will be in vain if people are too gunshy to try them in the current dire packaging.

Maybe that makes me superficial, that the trappings are important, but there it is... and I sincerely doubt I'm alone.

Last edited:
Chad, I think you are overlooking the downright whoppers that were told frequently - not just a one-off or genuine slip of the tongue, but deliberately. As far as I'm concerned, what's been said on here about PS has not been vitriolic, but genuine opinion. No one's accused him of being a mass murderer, so please don't be so dramatic. If you are in the public eye, people will comment - Fact. Get over it (heat? kitchen?). I also haven't forgotten the self-pitying whining that went on (from him and Sally Jaxx, and probably others) when Bid went bust - overlooking the fact that many anonymous people had paid good money for things they would never receive. Who whined for them? Were they even mentioned by the "I'm so sorry for myself" brigade? No, don't think so. Peter and Sally Jaxx made themselves look rather silly at the time IMO - I for one cannot believe that the presenters who worked there did not know they were in dire straits long before the final crash, so they might fool some people with the "who would have thought it?" act, but not most, I'm afraid. And as someone on here has said, he's looked increasingly desperate moving from one selly telly channel to the next over the past year or so.

I'm not overlooking anything. Personally I couldn't give a @#!* if Bid TV had a rubbish business model or charged extortionate rates for their phone lines. People tuned in, they made their own choices about what they bought and how much they paid. More fool them if they paid a gazillion pounds for some worry angels because Peter Simon turned on the water works. That's life. The presenters had a job to do, or do you think that everyone in sales should direct their customers to the cheapest available website or outlet? They got paid a wage for selling tat and no doubt they had targets and bonuses and sales managers chewing their ear off if they didn't sell enough stuff. It wasn't the presenters who set the phone rates or delivery charges and it wasn't them that made it go bust. It went bust because it sold sh1te that could be had cheaper on the web. I'm pretty sure that the staff knew that the company was in trouble before it went bust but unless they had a load of money in the bank or another job to go to what did you expect them to do? Go on air and tell people to shop elsewhere cos we're bankrupt?

Anyway, none of this has anything at all to do with what Divine Fragrances smell like or whether they provide value for money. Are you sure you're not just looking for a reason to justify being nasty about Peter Sherlock? Don't let me stop you, it's of no consequence to me.

For someone who says "it's of no consequence to me" you really are hot under the collar, aren't you? Can only think it touched a very raw nerve. I notice you don't mention the whinging and whining about their own predicament, (stuff the customers waiting for goods)? But of course, if Pete and Sal had targets to meet, that makes it all fine to whinge, doesn't it?

QUOTE=Chad;830886]I'm not overlooking anything. Personally I couldn't give a @#!* if Bid TV had a rubbish business model or charged extortionate rates for their phone lines. People tuned in, they made their own choices about what they bought and how much they paid. More fool them if they paid a gazillion pounds for some worry angels because Peter Simon turned on the water works. That's life. The presenters had a job to do, or do you think that everyone in sales should direct their customers to the cheapest available website or outlet? They got paid a wage for selling tat and no doubt they had targets and bonuses and sales managers chewing their ear off if they didn't sell enough stuff. It wasn't the presenters who set the phone rates or delivery charges and it wasn't them that made it go bust. It went bust because it sold sh1te that could be had cheaper on the web. I'm pretty sure that the staff knew that the company was in trouble before it went bust but unless they had a load of money in the bank or another job to go to what did you expect them to do? Go on air and tell people to shop elsewhere cos we're bankrupt?

Anyway, none of this has anything at all to do with what Divine Fragrances smell like or whether they provide value for money. Are you sure you're not just looking for a reason to justify being nasty about Peter Sherlock? Don't let me stop you, it's of no consequence to me.[/QUOTE]

For someone who says "it's of no consequence to me" you really are hot under the collar, aren't you? Can only think it touched a very raw nerve. I notice you don't mention the whinging and whining about their own predicament, (stuff the customers waiting for goods)? But of course, if Pete and Sal had targets to meet, that makes it all fine to whinge, doesn't it?

QUOTE=Chad;830886]I'm not overlooking anything. Personally I couldn't give a @#!* if Bid TV had a rubbish business model or charged extortionate rates for their phone lines. People tuned in, they made their own choices about what they bought and how much they paid. More fool them if they paid a gazillion pounds for some worry angels because Peter Simon turned on the water works. That's life. The presenters had a job to do, or do you think that everyone in sales should direct their customers to the cheapest available website or outlet? They got paid a wage for selling tat and no doubt they had targets and bonuses and sales managers chewing their ear off if they didn't sell enough stuff. It wasn't the presenters who set the phone rates or delivery charges and it wasn't them that made it go bust. It went bust because it sold sh1te that could be had cheaper on the web. I'm pretty sure that the staff knew that the company was in trouble before it went bust but unless they had a load of money in the bank or another job to go to what did you expect them to do? Go on air and tell people to shop elsewhere cos we're bankrupt?

Anyway, none of this has anything at all to do with what Divine Fragrances smell like or whether they provide value for money. Are you sure you're not just looking for a reason to justify being nasty about Peter Sherlock? Don't let me stop you, it's of no consequence to me.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry I don't have knowledge of the specific incident you're referring to re Sally Jacks and Peter Simon but to be honest I don't care. If people were out of pocket because they didn't receive goods they'd paid for in good faith then of course they have my sympathy (personally I always pay by credit card to avoid that sort of thing happening to me). But if you're asking me to care about people who paid over the odds for junk that could be had a lot cheaper on Ebay or Amazon then no I don't. They're probably out there buying Park hampers or shopping via the Littlewoods catalogue now instead and still paying over the odds. Now there are people who are getting hot under the collar on this thread but I'm not one of them. It's just words on a page to me. The internet is a funny place which brings out the worst in some people. I paid 15 quid for some half decent aftershave and it's turned into world war 3.

Chad, no ones been nasty about Peter Sherlock, we've said we don't like deceitful sales techniques (or lies as I like to call it) and that his perfume is in an ugly bottle and wouldn't buy it, I really don't see why you're taking these comments so personally on his behalf. I'm sure he'll appreciate it but at the end of the day, watching him and Peter Simon on IW and the show they put on is absolutely pathetic, this has a knock on affect where as, wether you like it or not, will make people not buy anything the Bid crew has to offer, I'm sorry but that's just the way it is.

Chad, no ones been nasty abojt Peter Sherlock.

Really? These comments came from this thread and they're not exactly complimentary are they?

It turns out that one possible anagram for this word combination is ‘Vain Face Grinder’.

What pedigree has he outside of the seedy TV shopping network bubble?

stupid name Shlock gave his perfumes

I wish he'd go away and get a job. Since Bid, he's been hovering around with his foot in the door. He'll do anything to get his mug on the telly

also haven't forgotten the self-pitying whining that went on (from him and Sally Jaxx)

You know what Chad, I'm going to hold my hands up and blow the whistle now, it's obvious you're going to keep this going as long as physically possible, you know what we mean, and if you wasn't happy you could have left this thread a long time ago but because you haven't I'm assuming you're trolling. We won't change our opinion and will continue to have a laugh and light hearted comments between us so I suggest you turn away.......or not it's up to you. I personally don't see anything else that can be added to your comments, so I'm just going to carry on having a laugh with like minded people, so I'll Bid (pun intended) you goodnight.

Fair enough. I did try and bale out but if people keep quoting my posts then of course I'm going to reply. Like you say there's not much to add anyway. Not only because it's all been said, not only because we've exhausted the subject matter, not only because we're at the busiest point in the thread etc etc etc.

Latest posts

Back