Amanda Holden is now a Doctor (Honorary)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Twilight

Registered Shopper
She's received an Honorary Doctorate of Letters from Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts. She graduated from this 'leading drama school' in 1992 & apparently hasn't looked back since.

Letters as in lecklie bill or scrabble? The only letters I would give her is F and useless B.

Just goes to show you how little value is placed on these doctorates.

People work hard for these, but turns out all you had to do is go on Blind Date with Cilla Black and marry a celebrity........who knew? :mysmilie_3:

People work hard for these, but turns out all you had to do is go on Blind Date with Cilla Black and marry a celebrity........who knew? :mysmilie_3:

Exactly my sentiments, indeed this is what I posted on the DM site (I know, I know!):mysmilie_17:

'I can never understand the 'Honorary Doctorate', I mean to me it belittles all the people who have spent hard cash and studied hard to earn a 'true degree'. I am aware that they can't use them and I am aware that there are as a publicity for the University, but to me it just seems at odds with a University ethos that of 'hard work for good reward'!

I mean for the last 13 years, he 'career' (if you can call it that), has consisted of pressing a buzzer, giving 'words of encouragement' (if you can call it that), having on-air 'cat-fights', being a 'living doll' (ageing) and selling 'tat' (reasonable quality of course). If that is what a person who has studied hard and got a degree in the 'proper way', aspires to then there is something wrong with the education system. I am of course aware that it was the Theatre School, but still only 1 out of say 1000+ will get anywhere near the 'success' she has. No, the whole system of Doctorates is wrong as it does undermine! Sorry rant over!

Last edited:
I feel exactly the same with companies who use these celebs to be the face of xyz when we know that there is no way on earth they use the products. Do you think M Carey lets a crisp pass her lips? At least that is mildly amusing for the first few viewings.

Didn’t Helen Mirren say that all face cream was rubbish whilst coining it from O’real?

Im sure there are personalities who do eat crisps or do use face cream - why not use them and at least we wouldn’t think we are being taken for fools.

And don’t get me started on the Botoxed to the eyeballs/hair extensions/teeth jobs people insisting that it’s all done by gloop in a jar.

That’s my rant over:mysmilie_51:

She's received an Honorary Doctorate of Letters from Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts. She graduated from this 'leading drama school' in 1992 & apparently hasn't looked back since.

:mysmilie_15:

She must have paid them for this.

She clearly has great management behind her. Who else could make headline news out of attending a red carpet event in a wheelchair ! and was it really necessary to let the world know how she almost died when giving birth a few years ago - and then returning to work a fortnight later ???? publicity is her life oxygen.

I feel exactly the same with companies who use these celebs to be the face of xyz when we know that there is no way on earth they use the products. Do you think M Carey lets a crisp pass her lips? At least that is mildly amusing for the first few viewings.

Didn’t Helen Mirren say that all face cream was rubbish whilst coining it from O’real?

Im sure there are personalities who do eat crisps or do use face cream - why not use them and at least we wouldn’t think we are being taken for fools.

And don’t get me started on the Botoxed to the eyeballs/hair extensions/teeth jobs people insisting that it’s all done by gloop in a jar.

A few years ago Pamela Anderson was doing an advert for some Pizzza company and there was an article about it somewhere. One of the crew said she had a bucket and stuck her fingers down her throat to throw up after each take .

I know but how many 'endorsements' from 'celebs' do Q have, I mean Ruth Langsford, Rylan and the 'delectable' Amanda Holden are the latest.
My motto is if I want the product I will buy! I am never drawn by a so called 'celeb', truly marketing and advertising are lost on me (thank goodness for 'catch-up' as I can miss all out!

Any kind of celeb endorsement would actually make me less likely to buy. It might sound a bit snooty, but I'm not, and don't want to be a 'follower'.

Not since my Bay City Roller days, anyway.

:mysmilie_11:

Clooney and coffee, Vorderman and equity release, Titchmarsh and death cover, Peter Andre anything that'll pay, Ant n Dec mortgages (really?), and so it goes on. Slebs will front anything if the pay is right - just look at the Beckhams and their millions - hardly gained through his football or her fashion. Years ago I remember Katie Boyle fronting Camay soap, so its being going on for decades.

Any kind of celeb endorsement would actually make me less likely to buy. It might sound a bit snooty, but I'm not, and don't want to be a 'follower'.

Not since my Bay City Roller days, anyway.

:mysmilie_11:

They were such naughty boys... Shang a Lang :mysmilie_17:

With regards to honorary degrees etc, all universities award them as a way for (in some cases) attracting publicity but many of those awarded are to recognise contributions to a certain city, field of work, cause etc. Most of the folk who receive them are successful, yes, but often they are not at all ‘famous’ outside of their particular arena. No-one confuses them with ‘proper’ degrees and declining one on those grounds would seem churlish. But I utterly understand some folks’ reactions to these things, as I had a similar one until I learned more about them

Eamonn Holmes has got one as well.

I've no truck with recipients getting them for worthy causes they've worked hard for; but like the honours system, its hard to to accept those who get them for mostly sitting in front of an autocue or spend their life on the red carpet, even though they might do a couple of hours in a homeless shelter once a month.

Clooney and coffee, Vorderman and equity release, Titchmarsh and death cover, Peter Andre anything that'll pay, Ant n Dec mortgages (really?), and so it goes on. Slebs will front anything if the pay is right - just look at the Beckhams and their millions - hardly gained through his football or her fashion. Years ago I remember Katie Boyle fronting Camay soap, so its being going on for decades.

The glorious Doris Day & Blue Band.

It really annoys me that whilst most people have to work hard for degrees etc, others have 'honorary' degrees and doctorships bestowed upon them;
so called celebrities and Royal family being the most usual recipients.Some of these wouldn't be capable of counting their own fingers in my opinion.I don't give a jot whether Amanda H .is selling her own brand of tat,if Helen M says brand x cream is the best or Johnny D advocates perfume Y.They are all selling something they probably don't even use. It is just using their name to advertise the product.
I don't believe for a minute that AH has that s*** in her house or that HM needs to use cream after her Botox.People on the whole are gullible and follow what the media preaches.They also tend to see those in the media as 'special' and believe their spiel.They are not special.The only people in my opinion to receive academic awards, should be those who have completed the work to the
required standard to acheive them.

Eamonn Holmes has got one as well.

I've no truck with recipients getting them for worthy causes they've worked hard for; but like the honours system, its hard to to accept those who get them for mostly sitting in front of an autocue or spend their life on the red carpet, even though they might do a couple of hours in a homeless shelter once a month.

Why the heck has he got one? I bet he writes every single letter after his name as well .:mysmilie_51:

Last edited by a moderator:
It really annoys me that whilst most people have to work hard for degrees etc, others have 'honorary' degrees and doctorships bestowed upon them;
The only people in my opinion to receive academic awards, should be those who have completed the work to the

I do take your point, but that is why they are called 'honourary', isn't it? It's just that educational establishment's way of bestowing an honour upon someone they think worthy or, in some cases, useful. I really do think just about everyone knows there is an enormous difference between an earned degree and an honourary one and so it does no-one any harm. I don't think it offends many folk who've worked hard for theirs that their uni has honoured someone in this way.

so called celebrities and Royal family being the most usual recipients.Some of these wouldn't be capable of counting their own fingers in my opinion.I don't give a jot whether Amanda H .is selling her own brand of tat,if Helen M says brand x cream is the best or Johnny D advocates perfume Y.They are all selling something they probably don't even use. It is just using their name to advertise the product.
I don't believe for a minute that AH has that s*** in her house or that HM needs to use cream after her Botox.People on the whole are gullible and follow what the media preaches.They also tend to see those in the media as 'special' and believe their spiel.They are not special.The only people in my opinion to receive academic awards, should be those who have completed the work to the

I might be wrong, but wasn't Prince Edward wearing the special Wessex army uniform on 11.11? Has he even served in the army, or was he twatting about with The Royal 'It's a **** up' telly programme. I was not amused.

Latest posts

Back