Is Alison Young well?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

shes not good with make up but its quite a different skill to being a therapist which she obviously is. they are not the same thing.

boffy, I would not have an unqualified hairdresser cut my hair, AY states she’s a qualified make-up artist and to be qualified you’ve obviously had to pass to get the qualifications so if she can lie about that then she obviously lies about every single beauty product that’s sold on QVC being amazing and duping people to part with their money by trusting her, that’s what I have a problem with. She’s even not very good a duping either, if she was, she’d get QVCs resident real qualified make-up artist do her make-up. :RpS_lol:

Perhaps the opposite is true: the "normal" aging and her individual approach to make up we can see on Alison Young is powerful enough to temper the sales patter. We haven't been duped, so do the other Q customers need protection?

Every beauty lotion and potion is touted as an ageing miracle in a bottle on QVC, a true expert would say if they don’t recommend something or it’s no good, AY will continue to sing a products praise even with 100 1* reviews, so that’s deceitful and a true professional would never deceive.

If you’re going on the basis that AY is using every single product then this strengthens the sales assistant comment as the products obviously don’t work, as for the customers needing protection I’ve no idea Akimbo what you mean, as I don’t know every single customer personally so even if I knew why you was on about, I couldn’t comment......how very odd. :RpS_blink:

Someone on QVC Facebook dared to ask why she no longer wears her wedding rings? They got short shift of mind your own business if Alison want to mention it they she would.

Some of my friends who have been married for quite a while don't wear their rings either because they've put on a bit of weight over the years and their fingers have got a bit fatter so the rings don't fit. Getting them sized is one of those things "you mean to do". I've got a box full that need doing! (not wedding rings of course!).

CC

Every beauty lotion and potion is touted as an ageing miracle in a bottle on QVC, a true expert would say if they don’t recommend something or it’s no good, AY will continue to sing a products praise even with 100 1* reviews, so that’s deceitful and a true professional would never deceive.

If you’re going on the basis that AY is using every single product then this strengthens the sales assistant comment as the products obviously don’t work, as for the customers needing protection I’ve no idea Akimbo what you mean, as I don’t know every single customer personally so even if I knew why you was on about, I couldn’t comment......how very odd. :RpS_blink:

Oh dear & sigh.....We have had this con' before...I don't wish to extrapolate.....buuuuuut.....one may be qualified in something & still be rubbish at it. We've all had a bad doctor, hairdresser car mechanic etc yet they are still 'qualified' & remain in the job. Of course there will always be a small amount of cases where the opposite is true - as is life.

I'm guessing you're exaggerating when you say that AY touts every product.... as being an (anti) ageing miracle...(?) - because that's not accurate. She does have to find the positive points of the products aired - that's her job, although it's not her who chooses what goes to air.
The customers must then decide for themselves if they wish to purchase. Just like with TV advertising, or more fittingly when purchasing a product from our hairdresser/beauty therapist/vet/dentist.

I believe that AY is qualified in BT, which does normally have a makeup module,a part that she is admittedly not very good at.* Doesn't make her a poor therapist overall. Similarly I am a qualified driver, but my reverse/parallel parking sucks. Doesn't make me a bad driver overall, or a liar about passing my test* - although Mr B would suggest otherwise!

Having not experienced a beauty treatment from Alison Young however I am truly not qualified to comment on her working skills 'on the treatment couch'.

*Surely if she lied about her qualifications someone would have 'outed' her by now.Remember Gillian Mckeith? See Also Gwyneth Paltrow's fine for those jade vagina eggs which claimed to cure prolapse,incontinence,etc.

Slightly off tac but she has also just launched the £50 ish 'This smells like my Vagina' candle, which has of course, sold out.

Last edited:
Oh dear & sigh.....We have had this con' before...I don't wish to extrapolate.....buuuuuut.....one may be qualified in something & still be rubbish at it. We've all had a bad doctor, hairdresser car mechanic etc yet they are still 'qualified' & remain in the job. Of course there will always be a small amount of cases where the opposite is true - as is life.

I'm guessing you're exaggerating when you say that AY touts every product.... as being an (anti) ageing miracle...(?) - because that's not accurate. She does have to find the positive points of the products aired - that's her job, although it's not her who chooses what goes to air.
The customers must then decide for themselves if they wish to purchase. Just like with TV advertising, or more fittingly when purchasing a product from our hairdresser/beauty therapist/vet/dentist.

I believe that AY is qualified in BT, which does normally have a makeup module,a part that she is admittedly not very good at.* Doesn't make her a poor therapist overall. Similarly I am a qualified driver, but my reverse/parallel parking sucks. Doesn't make me a bad driver overall, or a liar about passing my test* - although Mr B would suggest otherwise!

Having not experienced a beauty treatment from Alison Young however I am truly not qualified to comment on her working skills 'on the treatment couch'.

*Surely if she lied about her qualifications someone would have 'outed' her by now.Remember Gillian Mckeith? See Also Gwyneth Paltrow's fine for those jade vagina eggs which claimed to cure prolapse,incontinence,etc.

Slightly off tac but she has also just launched the £50 ish 'This smells like my Vagina' candle, which has of course, sold out.

spot on SB!

I always find as rule of thumb it’s always best to get your facts right, I never said AY states every lotion and potion is a miracle in a bottle, I said QVC do, AY states everything is “amazing” or there about. AY joked on air once that the last time she took an exam was her Clarins one, 30 years ago (so she pretty much outed herself) that and the fact she never mentions any recent qualifications she’s taken and we know how presenters love to brag, she started off as a consultant for QVC then got a presenters job, the rest is history. Yes of course you can pass a qualification and be rubbish at it, but then again when there’s half a million people watching you I wouldn’t shout it from the rooftops, especially when your sole purpose is to make the company who you work for money.

As for the “oh dear & sigh.....we have had this con’ before....” :RpS_lol: :RpS_lol: :RpS_lol:

I remember AY used to tell us that she started working with Clarins way back and moved up to advising on products. She worked at Champneys(sp) Ragdal Hall doing facials then moved to QVC back in the mid-90s.

But, what I do remember is when Prescriptives appeared on QVC. AY suddenly said on air she actually used their products especially one since its launch back in the 80s! Yet we never ever heard of her mentioning until it launched on QVC. So despite all the hard sell of QVC brands she does quitely use other brands.

QVC employs Alison Young (or anyone else) to drive sales.

She certainly puts in a shift and seems genuinely interested in talking through Joe Public's skin concerns at customer events (which probably results in more sales).

Back on topic; I'm glad Alison is well (as far as we can tell) and she's aging at her own pace. She still has a pretty face and seems to be smiling more now she knows the crows' feet will get you in the end anyway.

I rather like the fact she wears what she likes...I wonder whether people have tried to steer her fashion choices but she disregards their suggestions or whether they know not to bother? We'll never know - it's just idle speculation.

I remember AY used to tell us that she started working with Clarins way back and moved up to advising on products. She worked at Champneys(sp) Ragdal Hall doing facials then moved to QVC back in the mid-90s.

But, what I do remember is when Prescriptives appeared on QVC. AY suddenly said on air she actually used their products especially one since its launch back in the 80s! Yet we never ever heard of her mentioning until it launched on QVC. So despite all the hard sell of QVC brands she does quitely use other brands.

I remember her coyly saying she treated (minor) royalty but was bound by non-disclosure agreements not to spill the beans! God love her! :RpS_wub: :RpS_laugh:

Some of my friends who have been married for quite a while don't wear their rings either because they've put on a bit of weight over the years and their fingers have got a bit fatter so the rings don't fit. Getting them sized is one of those things "you mean to do". I've got a box full that need doing! (not wedding rings of course!).

CC

My neighbour wears jewellery all the time. I only wear jewellery, including wedding ring, when I go out.

My neighbour wears jewellery all the time. I only wear jewellery, including wedding ring, when I go out.

I wear mine all the time too, unless in the shower or bed. However, I've never removed my wedding ring, it's been on my finger for so long I don't even see it anymore.

The following is from that 2018 Daily Mail article:
'So while the middle-class mockers may look down their nose at TV shopping, when it comes to beauty, the biggest names in the business are queuing up to sell their wares through QVC . . . and it's all because of Alison. So powerful is she that she has a complete veto over what she will, or won't, sell on the channel.
"Oh, I've been offered bribes by brands,' she tells me. 'But I have it written into my contract that I won't promote anything I don't believe in. I am not in this to plug or help a business, I only care about the customer. If I am going to sell a product, I want to know: is it clinically proven? What are the ingredients? Is the price fair?"

The following is from that 2018 Daily Mail article:
'So while the middle-class mockers may look down their nose at TV shopping, when it comes to beauty, the biggest names in the business are queuing up to sell their wares through QVC . . . and it's all because of Alison. So powerful is she that she has a complete veto over what she will, or won't, sell on the channel.
"Oh, I've been offered bribes by brands,' she tells me. 'But I have it written into my contract that I won't promote anything I don't believe in. I am not in this to plug or help a business, I only care about the customer. If I am going to sell a product, I want to know: is it clinically proven? What are the ingredients? Is the price fair?"

Wow, she believes in a lot, A LOT, of products then. She should look about 25. :RpS_laugh:

Care about the customer?
1/ She doesn’t show they’re all clinically proven, some, not all
2/ the ingredients aren’t on the website and
3/ most items are cheaper elsewhere with free postage, so pretty much blows that statement out the water, she won’t even say if an item is tested on animals.

I only wear my earrings, wedding ring and engagement ring all the time, I only take them off when dying my hair.....I mean if I were to ever dye my hair......ahem! :RpS_biggrin:

I wear mine all the time too, unless in the shower or bed. However, I've never removed my wedding ring, it's been on my finger for so long I don't even see it anymore.

My original wedding ring is a very wide 22ct gold ring. It weighs nearly a Troy ounce and is easily marked. I have had to have it re-shaped many times so I never wore it at home.I also used to get a problem with infections on my finger,I now have a 9ct yellow and white diamond crossover ring but due to not wearing my original ring the habit has stuck. I clean all my jewellery when I take it off as well.

I’ve always showered in my wedding ring and engagement ring but apparently you’re supposed to take your diamonds off because soap can get in the stone, Beaverbrooks clean my engagement ring for me for free since the husband bought it for me for our tenth wedding anniversary (20 years ago) he actually had it commissioned using their X cut diamond, 18ct yellow gold and a half carat baguette cut with a quarter carat brilliant cut either side to represent him and our two sons so it’s precious in lots of ways. :RpS_wub:

I’ve always showered in my wedding ring and engagement ring but apparently you’re supposed to take your diamonds off because soap can get in the stone, Beaverbrooks clean my engagement ring for me for free since the husband bought it for me for our tenth wedding anniversary (20 years ago) he actually had it commissioned using their X cut diamond, 18ct yellow gold and a half carat baguette cut with a quarter carat brilliant cut either side to represent him and our two sons so it’s precious in lots of ways. :RpS_wub:

That sounds beautiful Shopps & as you say it's precious in many ways. I was 19 when we got married, he was three months older, & we didn't get engaged which surprised my grandad who was a jeweller. He was a man who always did things properly & about a month before the wedding he asked my Mr T if he'd object to me receiving a ring as a gift from him, the answer was "not at all" & I wear a diamond ring made from old stones that are slightly irregular & not a clear as the modern ones. I totally agree with you about not getting soap on the stones, I look after my jewellery & clean my real stuff in a small amount of gin!

My original wedding ring is a very wide 22ct gold ring. It weighs nearly a Troy ounce and is easily marked. I have had to have it re-shaped many times so I never wore it at home.I also used to get a problem with infections on my finger,I now have a 9ct yellow and white diamond crossover ring but due to not wearing my original ring the habit has stuck. I clean all my jewellery when I take it off as well.

22ct gold is gorgeous but oh so soft. I agree with you about cleaning our jewellery, items that matter to us should be looked after.

Latest posts

Back