Product Recall

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hi Milly, and welcome. Sorry you've had this to worry about - and also Meeshoo and anyone else affected.

I don't understand how this mishap can have occurred when the items have all been assayed and hallmarked. This brings into question the issue of hallmarking itself does it not?

Sammi, I agree with you - and also Tabs and PeridotJo and others who've queried this on other threads. Either the assay office isn't testing, when it should or - or - any suggestions?

Last edited:
I read Milly's thread first, so posted on there, but just wanted to add that I think it's awful. I know you've said good for Gems for putting their hands up about this, but how could they do anything less when sooner or later someone was bound to realise what had happened? I agree with everyone who is wondering how this reconciles with the assay office and the questions that have to be asked about the hallmarking of these items.

I do hope this is resolved happily.

product recall dates

I have just read a thread where Meeshoo said she thought the recall items were from oct-dec i actually bought mine in aug2007 so its taken them 10months to discover this problem and send out a letter the more ive had time to think about this the more im not liking it and im wondering what else is sitting in my jewellery box that might not be what it seems and will we get letters sometime in the future about stuff weve just recently purchased!!

I wouldn't start worrying too much Milly. I know what has happened has been a big disappointment but we need to find out more. I have no doubt that Meesh will get to the bottom of this so my best advice is to sit tight. In the meantime, fancy sharing some of your purchases with us? I think we could all do with a good drool. ;)

no more gemstv for me

Hi everyone
I thought you might be interested in what happened when i phoned cs today about my pendant that is being recalled.I explained that i had given this item as a gift therefore i could'nt send it back .their reply was sorry but we must have the pendant back or there is nothing we can do. I did ask if gems were prepared to offer any other compensation and the answer is no.the attitude was one of like it or lump it so i informed him i would not be buying from Gemstv again as i feel let down and disappointed and he just said well theres nothing else he could do .(so its bye bye gems from me HELLO COLOURED ROCKS)by the way i have bought from Gemstv since Dec 2004 so customer loyalty dos'nt seem to count much at gems it would seem

That's not good Milly but typical of Call Centre culture I'm afraid. The people on the phone are given a blanket response to give out and they just have to go with that unfortunately. If I was you I would be writing in addressing the letter to the Managing Director and asking for a full explanation as to how this happened and what they intend to do to compensate you for mis-selling the item. I would also suggest in the letter that should you receive an unsatisfactory reply or no reply at all then you will be taking this further by contacting Trading Standards. If that doesn't create a reponse then I would actually do that. After all, you will have a Certificate of Authenticity stating what the item should be and now you are told that the item isn't what it's supposed to be!

In my humble opinion, Gems should be making regular announcements about this informing customers of how the situation came about and reassuring everyone that this was a one-off. Otherwise when this gets out, and it will, their reputation will really suffer and there's no doubt if they lose the trust of their viewers their business will really suffer. The sad thing is that if they had handled this correctly and offered the correct compensation then none of this need be happening. I'm sure Meeshoo won't take it lying down!

Good Luck and keep us informed but please don't just accept this.

That is shockingly bad. I'd be blazing too, and tempted to take it further.
Just a refund as has been offered is bad enough, but with gift items it's not even a possibility.
If anyone from Gems still reads this forum, I suggest you sort it out pronto - times are tough enough without deliberately pissing off your most loyal customers.
The bling trade runs on trust (after all, we don't all have testing equipment in our homes), and this is a great way to lose it.
If it's not white gold underneath, I'd go after the assay office too, can't wait to hear what Meesh finds out about that aspect.
Either way, it's piss poor customer service and I'm not impressed.

Gems are going from bad to worse
whatever happened to the promise as posted on their website

(Guaranteeing its authenticity and quality, every piece of jewellery that we handcraft is supplied with a GemsTV Promise Certificate.)
promise of what?, that if there is a problem they will do their utmost to get out of doing anything about it

I for one will not be buying anything from them until they have sorted out these problems
to their customers satisfaction and without further delay

Disgraceful customer service - product recall

Do you all remember when GemsTV won awards for their CS?

Remember when Steve would help out when he could and nothing was too much trouble?

Remember when GemsTV walked the extra mile to put things right?

NO MORE!

I emailed the Operations Director, Vanessa Gillgrass, on Saturday after receiving numerous product recall letters. Despite the fact that GemsTV sent the letters out on a Friday so they were delivered on a Saturday WHEN NOBODY IN CS COULD DEAL WITH THE QUERIES WHEN PEOPLE PHONED, you'd think that they would then respond, first thing on Monday, to anything that had come in.

Have I received an email or phone call? NO.

Furious? No. I've gone beyond that. Bl**dy livid is more like it. I will be sorting this out tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on. Millie hun, trust me, I will not be getting the response that they gave you and I'll let you know what they say. The onus is on them to put this right NOT the customer.

I'm speechless Milly.

So they mess up and then tell you it's your problem if you've given the product as a gift??? Lovely! What a wonderful response.

Not good enough GemsTV. Simply not good enough.

Milly - I apologise - my message above was a separate post but it seems to have been merged with your thread. I am unsure why as nobody bothered to inform me.

Milly - I apologise - my message above was a separate post but it seems to have been merged with your thread. I am unsure why as nobody bothered to inform me.

Unfortunately we don't have the time to individually inform people every time any of us makes a decision regarding moderating the forum.

In the future perhaps I could suggest that any queries are addressed to the Admin/Mods in a private message rather than flamed all over one particular moderators visitor message board. It's hardly fair on Sazza to be lampooned so publically when she never made the decision and even if she had it wouldn't be the correct approach towards looking for a resolution.

The admin team decided to merge the threads, it is far easier for people to stay informed and get a clear picture of what is going on if all the information is contained in one place rather than spread across a multitude of threads.

Hi everyone
their reply was sorry but we must have the pendant back or there is nothing we can do. ... the attitude was one of like it or lump it

I don't think they're in a position to say like it or lump it. Even if Gems themselves have been the victim of some kind of scam (because I can't believe the assay office would hallmark these items), the fact is they are the ones that - unknowingly or otherwise - misrepresented these items to their customers and sold them as something substantially other than what they really were. They have the order details as proof of your purchase - they wouldn't have sent you the letter in the first place if they didn't. The fact is you bought a 9k item of jewellery and it's gold plated on silver, and they sold it to you. There must be some sort of alternative solution available if you are unable to return it.

Another recall

I said I would let you know if if I got a letter....and I did, this morning. Address was incomplete so delayed delivery. The pendant I referred to earlier in this thread is the item in question (116...), but as I said, it was a Xmas gift for my Mum so I'm not going to ask for it back!! In any case she mostly wears a multi sapphire pendant purchased much earlier so it will have had little use.

Sacha I understand your opinion on this totally.

Like you I'd bought 2 of the items as gifts. When the gold plate wears off, people are going to think I've bought them crap costume jewellery. They won't know that the diamonds are actually diamonds and they might just bin the items. Ok, perhaps I shouldn't worry about that but ....

Also what about the P&P I spent getting the items in the first place? There's no offer to give that back - whether you send the items back to them or not.

I don't think GemsTV stance on "if we don't get the piece back, there's nothing we can do" is a bit black and white. They can easily see that the two pendants I bought were exactly the same and unless my split personality was going to wear one, I don't see why I'd want more than one!!! I would think there'll be others in the same position.

Sorry to hear about your letter hun. Hope your Mum still enjoys her pendant.

M x

Am I right in thinking that it has just been pendants and earrings so far being recalled?

The pendant was part of a larger order but which also included a 9k YG diamond ring (pour moi), hopefully that then might escape the recall......as I rather like it and wouldn't want to part with it! :eek:

Just a thought on this...Maybe they will think some people will have sold theirs as some people do and then be refunded for an item you no longer have and cant prove you havent sold??? Just a thought. But all in all seems like they are no better than any other channel out there ,so much for being the best....FGS bring back Steve !!!!!!..

I agree gems has just hit rock bottom imo but i was "just" out of the 10 day mbg by the time they received 2 rings i sent back and they returned them to me and i have had to keep them I never wore them as they are too small and id have to have them resized .PLUS they still had the tags untouched on both rings.I rang and explained the reasoning behind and having problems my end at home but the answer was a TOUGH and NO you have to keep them.!!!!:purplesheep::mad::eek:

1 was a Paraiba and 1 a Tanzanite ring .I guess they really will only learn if everyone that says they are fed up really doesnt buy from them again ,i guess if we do knowing all the shoddy happenings of late i guess we really cant complain.I know i for 1 stopped buying from IW and now i wont be buying from Gems .:(:mad:

Latest posts

Back