Important - check your credit card statements - for "Travel Steps"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

theresa b

Registered Shopper
Just seen this on another forum i go on...

someone there bought some toys off ideal world and discovered yesterday that £99.00 had been taken out of her account with a further £99.00 to be taken each month... it seems ideal world had passed her details onto a holiday scheme called Travel Steps

i've just done a quick google search and it seems this company have a history of getting people's details from shopping firms... and in the past people have been phoned and talked into being sent a "brochure" - apparantly the brochure arrived with a covering letter that mentions you must phone to cancel membership to this holiday scheme - if not £99.00 will be deducted each month... not sure if this is how it worked with the person who posted on the other forum as she didn't mention exact details...

someone there bought some toys off ideal world and discovered yesterday that £99.00 had been taken out of her account with a further £99.00 to be taken each month... it seems ideal world had passed her details onto a holiday scheme called Travel Steps

i've just done a quick google search and it seems this company have a history of getting people's details from shopping firms... and in the past people have been phoned and talked into being sent a "brochure" - apparantly the brochure arrived with a covering letter that mentions you must phone to cancel membership to this holiday scheme - if not £99.00 will be deducted each month... not sure if this is how it worked with the person who posted on the other forum as she didn't mention exact details...

This happened to my husband - a telephone call sounding so innocent and promise of brochure for further info ( why he agreed to that is beyond me!)
but we got letter and notification of the deduction etc as you have stated.

We got all this one Saturday morning and a swift email was sent. So far nothing deducted.

But as I never agree to my details being passed on, always ensuring the optin/out ticked etc no details SHOULD have been passed on

But if money is taken in this way surely that is illegal? I'm sure there is some knowledgeable person out there that can advise

There are other forums???
questionmarksmiley.gif

If you purchase from Discount Shop TV you will get this phone call and brochure. I phoned to say I didn't want membership and the guy on the phone said that it would be cancelled. I haven't had my statement yet to check.

In all seriousness this sort of thing disgusts me. I imagine there are lots of older folk who buy from these channels who are trusting and not expecting a scam. It should not be allowed and I honestly can't believe how they get away with it. :angry:

When you receive the brochure you have a 30 day free trial in the travel steps program. My letter was dated 18th Dec 08 but I didn't receive it till 29th Dec 08. So that's 11 days out of the 30 day free trial from the getgo :33: I cancelled the day I received it.

Its a loophole in the law that should be sewn up without delay, particularly with the current credit crunch, it could hurt the most vulnerable.

What are you meant to get for your £99.00 a month ?.
I know when I brought something from Best Direct they offered me a chance to join their "club" free for the first month and then you had to pay annually. I never took them up on their kind offer.

I was on Amazon.co.uk yesterday buying some Emu boots in their sale.
They have a scheme just started and you get free super fast delivery free for one month after that they will take £47+ from your account to joint this club. I didn't even want to try it for a month incase of problems cancelling afterwards.

The last time I bought from the Sit-Up channels I was offered the chance to join this club. I was told that the first month was free and there was an offer of wine via Virgin Wines. I got the brochure and found it was full of offers for things I'd never use. The wine "offer" was only available once you'd actually signed for a year.

When I rang to canel I really had to fight to get it cancelled. The guy I spoke to tried every trick in the book to get me to join. In the end I said if the offer wasn't cancelled I would be taking the matter to a solicitor and asked for a confirmation letter. It took me three calls and countless emails before I got the letter stating I had ended the offer.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL : If I had not read about this 'scam' earlier today I would have fallen for it. I have just this minute had a telephone call from Ideal World, telling me nice things about tonights shows and then offering me a new catalogue - Travel Steps. They would like to send me a copy so I can browse at my leisure and can order at any time. Luckily, forwarned is forarmed. I very politely declined their offer. Thakyou to everyone for bringing this to our notice.

PS - My daughter has just suggested someone report IW tol BBC watchdog programme!

I am glad you have posted this warning I have just had a phone call from Travel steps, fortunately I was having my tea so he said he would ring back. I will have to go and check CC statement to make sure nothing has been removed because the last time I bought anything from IW was in Dec.

I was on Amazon.co.uk yesterday buying some Emu boots in their sale.
They have a scheme just started and you get free super fast delivery free for one month after that they will take £47+ from your account to joint this club. I didn't even want to try it for a month incase of problems cancelling afterwards.

oh no, I've ordered loads of things on Amazon, using the free delivery if over £5 purchase. Never noticed the 'catch' in the T&C's about joining this travel club :11:

Just off to check my past orders

oh no, I've ordered loads of things on Amazon, using the free delivery if over £5 purchase. Never noticed the 'catch' in the T&C's about joining this travel club :11:

Just off to check my past orders

Dont worry it sounds like you took advantage of the free supersaver delivery if order over £5 . The chargeable deal is Amazon Prime its a different scheme .

Dont worry it sounds like you took advantage of the free supersaver delivery if order over £5 . The chargeable deal is Amazon Prime its a different scheme .

Yes that is the normal free if you spend over a certain amount.
This new one is delivered the next day offered free for one month.

Its not just Ideal World either

It can come from any purchase such as when you have bought books, dvds any other stuff, this can result in the call

Latest posts

Back