Important - check your credit card statements - for "Travel Steps"        

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Important - check your credit card statements - for "Travel Steps"

Just seen this on another forum i go on...

someone there bought some toys off ideal world and discovered yesterday that 99.00 had been taken out of her account with a further 99.00 to be taken each month... it seems ideal world had passed her details onto a holiday scheme called Travel Steps

i've just done a quick google search and it seems this company have a history of getting people's details from shopping firms... and in the past people have been phoned and talked into being sent a "brochure" - apparantly the brochure arrived with a covering letter that mentions you must phone to cancel membership to this holiday scheme - if not 99.00 will be deducted each month... not sure if this is how it worked with the person who posted on the other forum as she didn't mention exact details...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. xxxx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theresa b View Post

someone there bought some toys off ideal world and discovered yesterday that 99.00 had been taken out of her account with a further 99.00 to be taken each month... it seems ideal world had passed her details onto a holiday scheme called Travel Steps

i've just done a quick google search and it seems this company have a history of getting people's details from shopping firms... and in the past people have been phoned and talked into being sent a "brochure" - apparantly the brochure arrived with a covering letter that mentions you must phone to cancel membership to this holiday scheme - if not 99.00 will be deducted each month... not sure if this is how it worked with the person who posted on the other forum as she didn't mention exact details...
    This happened to my husband - a telephone call sounding so innocent and promise of brochure for further info ( why he agreed to that is beyond me!)
    but we got letter and notification of the deduction etc as you have stated.

We got all this one Saturday morning and a swift email was sent. So far nothing deducted.

But as I never agree to my details being passed on, always ensuring the optin/out ticked etc no details SHOULD have been passed on

But if money is taken in this way surely that is illegal? I'm sure there is some knowledgeable person out there that can advise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theresa b View Post
    There are other forums???

Post Thanks / Like

If you purchase from Discount Shop TV you will get this phone call and brochure. I phoned to say I didn't want membership and the guy on the phone said that it would be cancelled. I haven't had my statement yet to check.

Post Thanks / Like

In all seriousness this sort of thing disgusts me. I imagine there are lots of older folk who buy from these channels who are trusting and not expecting a scam. It should not be allowed and I honestly can't believe how they get away with it. :angry:

Post Thanks / Like

When you receive the brochure you have a 30 day free trial in the travel steps program. My letter was dated 18th Dec 08 but I didn't receive it till 29th Dec 08. So that's 11 days out of the 30 day free trial from the getgo :33: I cancelled the day I received it.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a loophole in the law that should be sewn up without delay, particularly with the current credit crunch, it could hurt the most vulnerable.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if BBC's Watchdog would be interested in this?

Post Thanks / Like

What are you meant to get for your 99.00 a month ?.
    I know when I brought something from Best Direct they offered me a chance to join their "club" free for the first month and then you had to pay annually. I never took them up on their kind offer.