AAA Tanzanian Ruby

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mags3224

Registered Shopper
Hi All contemplating buying a tanzania ruby ring from rocks and co and wondered if anyone has this stone from them but feel i need some help in doing so all comments appreciated. Mags

I don't have any Mags, and I'm not particularly a fan of ruby, but I have to admit, if I were to be tempted, the Tanzanian rubies looks fabulous, so clear and sparkly, and a beautiful colour. (Have seen some loose stones at t'other place)

:doggie:

Have a ring and a pendant Mags and they are lovely stones, quite different from Madagascan rubies, lovely colour and very clear. Best thing is to get them home and see if you like them.

I don't have any either Mags but like you I really like the look of them. I wouldn't have a Madagascan Ruby as they're too pink for me but have been very tempted with the Tanzanian Rubies. I have a beautiful Burmese Ruby ring and pendant which my hubby bought me not knowing about the "ethics" behind buying from Burma but if you aren't bothered by that then Burmese are regarded as being the best Rubies in the World from what I've read. They are real Ruby Red and not pink. The Tanzanian ones look a real red too but don't appear to have the silk of other rubies so are clearer. Just go for it and let us know what you think then we can buy them too on your recommendation lol!
Hopefully Meeshoo will be along soon to give you her opinion - one I value highly.

Awww bless KB thank you.

Mags - are you bothered whether the Ruby is treated and given its colour artificially or not?

Rubies tend to be heated as a "standard" treatment but the Tanzanian Rubies are actually treated for colour i.e. they are subjected to the Beryillium Diffusion process. Therefore, the colour is added and not as nature intended. The process can also drive off certain inclusions (hence why the clarity is good).

Looking at it in a slightly different way, if you were to buy a heated Ruby (but without treatment) and get one with such great clarity and colour you'd pay through the nose because lovely clear rubies of great colour are very difficult to find.

At the end of the day, if you like the look buy it. If you're a gemstone snob or prefer your gemstones to be as natural as possible then it probably isn't the stone for you.

Last edited:
Well Meeshoo you've educated me again!! I didn't know that so I've leaned something new - thank you.

Is it correct that Burmese Rubies are regarded as being the best?

Now I'm confused!

Rocks TV has Songea rubies, which someone told me are the same as Rocks & Co's AAA.

But Steve Bennet once mentioned that some Songea rubies on Rocks TV were ONLY heated. He also said at the Open Day that he was possibly looking into buying the mine in order to reopen it, so I guess he must know what he's talking about!

Meesh, do you know whether these are in fact the same or not?

KB - to answer your question first? Are Burmese Rubies the best? Richard Hughes (who perhaps is one of the world's most foremost experts on rubies and sapphires - currently working for GemsTV) ranks as follows:-

Quality ranking of rubies by country

An approximate ranking of important ruby origins is given below. This applies only for the finest untreated qualities from each source and is but a general approximation. In other words, a top-quality Thai/Cambodian ruby can be worth far more than a poor Mogok stone.

1. Mogok, Burma
2. Sri Lanka
3. Madagascar
4. Nanyazeik, Burma
5. Everything else

So, are Burmese Rubies the best? No, not necessarily. A great deal of important Rubies have come from this region but you're talking top top quality and unheated/untreated.

Now I'm confused!

Rocks TV has Songea rubies, which someone told me are the same as Rocks & Co's AAA.

But Steve Bennet once mentioned that some Songea rubies on Rocks TV were ONLY heated. He also said at the Open Day that he was possibly looking into buying the mine in order to reopen it, so I guess he must know what he's talking about!

Meesh, do you know whether these are in fact the same or not?

I'd rather not comment - sorry!

Thought you might like to see a document produced by the GIA on berylium diffusion of rubies - a bit heavy going but interesting.

http://lgdl.gia.edu/pdfs/su03a1.pdf

another extract from Richard Hughes on treatment ....

Treatments

Ruby was one of the first gems to be treated, with reports detailing the heat treatment in Sri Lanka dating back over 1000 years. But today's treatments are far more sophisticated than the primitive heatings of years gone by.

Today, ruby heat treatments run the gamut. The simplest is heating to knock out the blue component that makes a stone purplish. Such heating can be done at lower temperatures (say 700–1200 °C) and is often undetectable.

Another type involves heating to higher temperatures (1200–1800 °C) to remove rutile silk, and this is generally detectable.

But the type of heating that is most controversial is that applied to Möng Hsu rubies. This involves heating (1200–1800 °C) in the presence of a flux. The flux produces healing of surface-reaching fractures and openings. Thus a highly fractured stone can be healed and the fractures dissipated.

A further treatment occasionally seen is oiling/staining. Gentle heating in alcohol (be careful!) can generally remove oils/stains.

One of the true tragedies of gemstone enhancements is that they raise expectations among the gem-buying public to unreasonable levels. Once a customer has seen the shocking reds produced by human tampering, it becomes far more difficult to accept the more ordinary hues of nature. No where is this more true than with Möng Hsu ruby.

I will not go into enhancement ethics. But it is essential that both buyers and sellers are aware of the presence of any treatment, for they can have an important impact on value. It is my personal opinion that, when spending a significant sum of money on a ruby, one should avoid treated stones of any kind.

Well I don't care if my AAA Tanzanian ruby has been cooked on a gas mark 9, basted until tender and served with chips, I still love it! :heart: :hide: :lol:

Ruby is my birthstone and TBH I've never really liked them. I would never be able to afford a decent natural one - and all the ones I'd ever seen that I could afford (until the Tanzanian ones appeared) looked like Strepsils to me. :rofl:

This is from R&Co as I loved the classic design and the lower prices (compared to Gemstv). I would have preferred this in YG but didn't see one all the time I was looking while we had the extended MBG prior to Christmas so now it's mine all mine!

The diamonds are gorgeous too, just can't seem to photograph the immense sparkle.I don't know how to do links to R&Co, but it's item # 646 041

Jewellery014.jpg

Sorry, forgot to resize pic. :rolleyes:

:WOW: Lynda, that's a stunner!

I know what you mean about the 'strepsil' rubies :4:, I think that's why they've never really appealed to me. I think the important thing now, is that we've been apprised of the facts concerning Tanzanian ruby (thank you Meeshoo), so if we choose to buy, we know what we're getting.

:doggie:

Hi All contemplating buying a tanzania ruby ring from rocks and co and wondered if anyone has this stone from them but feel i need some help in doing so all comments appreciated. Mags

I love their tanzanian ruby and I too don't care if they have been treated etc, they look stunning. I have a ring and earrings. Buy some, get it home and have a look at it, after all that is what the 10 day money back is for. I think you'll love them. :1: Let us know what you decided to do

Thanks to all who replied ,as to if i bothered if treated answer is no i have to say i dont like alot of the silks in rubies makes them look dull imho in comparason to the tanzanian ones rocks & co sell. So i will keep a look out for a small petite one from rocks.

Meeshoo i cant get over what a fountain of knowledge you are and am so glad your around on here to get lots of helpful hints.

thanks again all will keep you posted if i find one Mags

I know the treatments are disclosed on the website, but not everyone has access to a computer. I wish they would be more honest when presenting the stones. After all, you can't expect a top, untreated ruby for the prices they are charging, so why not be open about it and then everyone knows where they stand and can make an informed choice? I notice that TJC do mention on air when coloured diamonds are treated.
Thanks so much Meesh for all your invaluable information - we all appreciate it very much - but again, not everyone knows about this forum so many people must be buying in the dark.

This has been a really interesting thread,I will never look at rubies in quite the same way again,I knew they were heat treated but didn't know the rest.I bought a tanzanian ruby ring from Rocks and co last week and was thrilled with the colour.I am still glad I have it but wouldn't now buy more.What about sunset sapphire,that doesn't look natural either?

I have a ring and a pendant and I'm more than satisfied with them be they treated or not. I don't expect the top of the range for say £100-200.

Tbh if I could afford untreated natural gems I wouldn't be buying from shopping channels. I do know that most jewellers actually show on the ticket if a gem's been treated but even their prices are steep compared to what I've paid. As Jacqualina more or less stated.....most people buy in the dark anyway if they don't have access to say the net/forums etc.

Very pretty ring Lynda and nothing like a strepsil lol! Next time I have a sore throat I'll think of you! :9:

I think the important thing is that we know what we're buying. Meeshoo has a fantastic knowledge and just presents the facts as they are then obviously it's up to us if we buy or not. I have pestered her many times for advice and she is always spot on but she has never tried to influence my purchases in any way. Thanks to Meeshoo I haven't wasted my money a couple of times when I was going to as I took on board what she said and saw the potential error of my ways! I am so glad now that I did.

I think if we know the facts we can make an educated decision. Unfortunately I can't afford natural stones either but when I buy I do it with my eyes open and think I buy the best of the "treated" stones as opposed to the rubbish treated stones. It's just a shame other people don't have their very own Meeshoo to ask as I honestly believe there are probably quite a few people wandering around thinking they're wearing a natural Padparadscha for £150 when in fact they would need to sell their car to get a "natural" Padparadscha! Hence why they're called "Padparadscha COLOURED" sapphires.

By the way Meeshoo what do you think about :Thinking2:.................ha ha only kidding!

KB you're a nutter! Mwah! :10:

Lynda - what a gorgeous ring and I can definitely see why you love it. It looks stunning on your hand.

I actually own a Tanzanian Ruby. I was categorically told that it was only heated but I have my suspicions. Do I love it any less because I suspect it may be treated? Yes but that's because I'm an anorak. Do I wear it? No. Would I buy more? No.

I truly believe that so long as people know and understand what they're buying then it's their choice whether to go for heated/treated or natural. I completely agree with Jacqualina - people should be told up front what they're buying. Then they can make an informed choice. Personally I try not to buy treated gemstones (although I do own a few) and prefer natural or heated wherever possible but that's my choice. I'd never suggest to somebody not to buy a treated gemstone UNLESS they didn't want one or weren't aware.

For all of you who think that natural rubies or sapphires are out of your price range I need to tell you - they're not! You can buy a gorgeous unheated sapphire of stunning quality and colour (including a Pad although you'll need to go down in weight a bit to match price for price) for about the same price as some of the jewellery I've seen on the jewellery channels. You can then buy very reasonable semi mounts at your leisure for way under £250. If you've bought cannily, you'd then have a bespoke piece of jewellery with a value that outweighs a similar piece with a treated gemstone.

Somebody asked about Sunset Sapphire? Diffused I'm afraid. Again though, these are very pretty and if you don't mind a treated gemstone it's a good way of owning a very lovely piece of jewellery.

Calico - Hotlips is from Madagascar and is heated but untreated and has a wonderful tiger stripe inclusion.

Latest posts

Back