AAA Tanzanian Ruby        

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AAA Tanzanian Ruby

Hi All contemplating buying a tanzania ruby ring from rocks and co and wondered if anyone has this stone from them but feel i need some help in doing so all comments appreciated. Mags

Beady Belle Guest

I don't have any Mags, and I'm not particularly a fan of ruby, but I have to admit, if I were to be tempted, the Tanzanian rubies looks fabulous, so clear and sparkly, and a beautiful colour. (Have seen some loose stones at t'other place)

:doggie:

Post Thanks / Like

Have a ring and a pendant Mags and they are lovely stones, quite different from Madagascan rubies, lovely colour and very clear. Best thing is to get them home and see if you like them.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any either Mags but like you I really like the look of them. I wouldn't have a Madagascan Ruby as they're too pink for me but have been very tempted with the Tanzanian Rubies. I have a beautiful Burmese Ruby ring and pendant which my hubby bought me not knowing about the "ethics" behind buying from Burma but if you aren't bothered by that then Burmese are regarded as being the best Rubies in the World from what I've read. They are real Ruby Red and not pink. The Tanzanian ones look a real red too but don't appear to have the silk of other rubies so are clearer. Just go for it and let us know what you think then we can buy them too on your recommendation lol!
    Hopefully Meeshoo will be along soon to give you her opinion - one I value highly.

Meeshoo Guest

Awww bless KB thank you.

Mags - are you bothered whether the Ruby is treated and given its colour artificially or not?

Rubies tend to be heated as a "standard" treatment but the Tanzanian Rubies are actually treated for colour i.e. they are subjected to the Beryillium Diffusion process. Therefore, the colour is added and not as nature intended. The process can also drive off certain inclusions (hence why the clarity is good).

Looking at it in a slightly different way, if you were to buy a heated Ruby (but without treatment) and get one with such great clarity and colour you'd pay through the nose because lovely clear rubies of great colour are very difficult to find.

At the end of the day, if you like the look buy it. If you're a gemstone snob or prefer your gemstones to be as natural as possible then it probably isn't the stone for you.
    Last edited by Meeshoo; 16-02-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Meeshoo you've educated me again!! I didn't know that so I've leaned something new - thank you.

Is it correct that Burmese Rubies are regarded as being the best?

Post Thanks / Like

Now I'm confused!

Rocks TV has Songea rubies, which someone told me are the same as Rocks & Co's AAA.

But Steve Bennet once mentioned that some Songea rubies on Rocks TV were ONLY heated. He also said at the Open Day that he was possibly looking into buying the mine in order to reopen it, so I guess he must know what he's talking about!

Meesh, do you know whether these are in fact the same or not?

Meeshoo Guest

KB - to answer your question first? Are Burmese Rubies the best? Richard Hughes (who perhaps is one of the world's most foremost experts on rubies and sapphires - currently working for GemsTV) ranks as follows:-

Quality ranking of rubies by country

An approximate ranking of important ruby origins is given below. This applies only for the finest untreated qualities from each source and is but a general approximation. In other words, a top-quality Thai/Cambodian ruby can be worth far more than a poor Mogok stone.

1. Mogok, Burma
    2. Sri Lanka
    3. Madagascar
    4. Nanyazeik, Burma
    5. Everything else

So, are Burmese Rubies the best? No, not necessarily. A great deal of important Rubies have come from this region but you're talking top top quality and unheated/untreated.

Meeshoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MissMagpie View Post
    Now I'm confused!

Rocks TV has Songea rubies, which someone told me are the same as Rocks & Co's AAA.

But Steve Bennet once mentioned that some Songea rubies on Rocks TV were ONLY heated. He also said at the Open Day that he was possibly looking into buying the mine in order to reopen it, so I guess he must know what he's talking about!

Meesh, do you know whether these are in fact the same or not?
    I'd rather not comment - sorry!

Meeshoo Guest

Thought you might like to see a document produced by the GIA on berylium diffusion of rubies - a bit heavy going but interesting.

http://lgdl.gia.edu/pdfs/su03a1.pdf

another extract from Richard Hughes on treatment ....

Treatments

Ruby was one of the first gems to be treated, with reports detailing the heat treatment in Sri Lanka dating back over 1000 years. But today's treatments are far more sophisticated than the primitive heatings of years gone by.

Today, ruby heat treatments run the gamut. The simplest is heating to knock out the blue component that makes a stone purplish. Such heating can be done at lower temperatures (say 700–1200 °C) and is often undetectable.

Another type involves heating to higher temperatures (1200–1800 °C) to remove rutile silk, and this is generally detectable.

But the type of heating that is most controversial is that applied to Möng Hsu rubies. This involves heating (1200–1800 °C) in the presence of a flux. The flux produces healing of surface-reaching fractures and openings. Thus a highly fractured stone can be healed and the fractures dissipated.

A further treatment occasionally seen is oiling/staining. Gentle heating in alcohol (be careful!) can generally remove oils/stains.

One of the true tragedies of gemstone enhancements is that they raise expectations among the gem-buying public to unreasonable levels. Once a customer has seen the shocking reds produced by human tampering, it becomes far more difficult to accept the more ordinary hues of nature. No where is this more true than with Möng Hsu ruby.

I will not go into enhancement ethics. But it is essential that both buyers and sellers are aware of the presence of any treatment, for they can have an important impact on value. It is my personal opinion that, when spending a significant sum of money on a ruby, one should avoid treated stones of any kind.