"I have x number of people on the phone lines"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Trippy

Registered Shopper
This has to be a complete lie, just then they had a quantity of 2 left for about 3 minutes and Del Boy was like "We have 5 on the phone lines"

People don't actually ring up and wait around do they? I mean, surely if they dial the number they want it? I can't imagine anyone paying a premium number without being sure they want it. You see it, you want it, you ring up and buy it, no?

Is this another selling angle?

It's a technique they use to buld tension-sometimes they say 'there are people hovering',but as you state people don't tend to dial a premium rate number and then procrastinate.
Additionally I don't believe the 'quantity remaining' and 'quantity' sold icons are always accurate.Everything else is designed to manipulate the viewers so why should these have any more integrity than the rest of the presentation?

This has to be a complete lie, just then they had a quantity of 2 left for about 3 minutes and Del Boy was like "We have 5 on the phone lines"

People don't actually ring up and wait around do they? I mean, surely if they dial the number they want it? I can't imagine anyone paying a premium number without being sure they want it. You see it, you want it, you ring up and buy it, no?

They've probably dialled a wrong number!

This really bugs me when they are selling some overpriced tatty jewellery and they say there are x many people on the line as if they're deciding whether to buy it or not. The presenters have said in the past that if you don't press 1 in around 20 seconds, you get cut off anyway!!!!!

Given the number of people stupid enough to buy certain items (eg. gold-painted worry angels) in the first place, it wouldn't surprise me if a few people did call the number but then changed their mind and hung up after hearing the product description. However, on at least one occasion when it was stated that ten people were on the phone lines but they then only (and slowly) sold three items during the next 90 seconds seemed rather suspicious to be honest, unless there was a mistake with the product description.

I find it very hard to believe a lot of the time, the items left or sold figs on screen are often completely at odds with the number of people quoted on the phones :mysmilie_468:

Latest posts

Back