08/03/21 - 14/03/21 Big Deal Prices

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Having very sensitive skin the one thing I avoid like the plague is anything described as “natural” or having nature’s ingredients. Anything lavender would have me in agony.

Am I correct in thinking it's Donna here whose skin won't tolerate rose products? Rose is natural and supposed to be ideal for sensitive skins but it's another example of how natural products don't suit everyone.

Linalool is one of my problems. Also limonene. Both considered 'natural' by many and in loads of products including This Works sleep spray (that didn't work and kept me awake with an asthma attack!).

Am I correct in thinking it's Donna here whose skin won't tolerate rose products? Rose is natural and supposed to be ideal for sensitive skins but it's another example of how natural products don't suit everyone.

Linalool is one of my problems. Also limonene. Both considered 'natural' by many and in loads of products including This Works sleep spray (that didn't work and kept me awake with an asthma attack!).
Indeed. Thing is, linalool can, in fact be a by product (eh?) of many natural essential oils. Real natural in this sense. Limonene is a nasty for peeps like you, AE, a known irritant, as is limonene. Also in many cleaning products, I believe & possibly fly killer.

The rose collection by elemis stung my skin. Had a rose pro collagen facial & was a bit sore.

Indeed. Thing is, linalool can, in fact be a by product (eh?) of many natural essential oils. Real natural in this sense. Limonene is a nasty for peeps like you, AE, a known irritant, as is limonene. Also in many cleaning products, I believe & possibly fly killer.

The rose collection by elemis stung my skin. Had a rose pro collagen facial & was a bit sore.

Ah, fly spray. It's amazing how many perfumes smell exactly like fly spray on me! It's obviously my chemistry. I wonder if it's the same chemistry that causes my reactions?

Cleaning products are a nightmare for me. I have to stick with Dew and Astonish products for the cleaning I can do. Bleach and bleach solution I can manage in small doses (so my loo is clean, honest!). Everything else gets done by Mr. AE (which did not go down well with his mother when she walked in one day and caught him). I tend to leave the building when Mr. AE does any cleaning as he's a firm believer in the more the merrier. I've tried explaining that it's the action as well as the chemical but he still manages to get through a bottle of Flash/Dettol if I let him loose in the kitchen/bathroom.

Oddly enough, he loathes using the steam cleaner yet follows me around and tries showing me what I'm doing wrong when I'm using it 😂. Men!

I find men in general aren’t very good at cleaning jobs which involves hot water as they can’t put their hands in anything above lukewarm plus they don’t seem to be able to wring out cloths so it’s all a sloppy cool water mess.

Also, why do they need to use every kitchen item to make a sandwich? Mr L - chopping board to cut cheese/tomatoes, separate chopping board for the bread, knife for butter, separate knife to cut sandwich and a further one if chutney is involved, despite having several all in one type knives in drawer.

I find men in general aren’t very good at cleaning jobs which involves hot water as they can’t put their hands in anything above lukewarm plus they don’t seem to be able to wring out cloths so it’s all a sloppy cool water mess.

Also, why do they need to use every kitchen item to make a sandwich? Mr L - chopping board to cut cheese/tomatoes, separate chopping board for the bread, knife for butter, separate knife to cut sandwich and a further one if chutney is involved, despite having several all in one type knives in drawer.
You will have to teach him to lick the same knife before using it for the next item ;)

its only recently that I can use anti ageing ingredients/brands. The rich textures/oils/perfumes did not agree with me. Now my skin has aged I can use more brands that even 5 or 6 years ago would have caused havoc

Too many people fall for the quasi scientific nonsense. If we want to live chemical free lives, we will have to do away with ourselves! We are walking talking chemistry sets...

One of the reasons there are synthetic chemicals is because in some cases the natural product is harmful when ingested.
Sometimes we have synthetic chemicals so we don't ravage nature. The most deadly poisons and toxins are natural.
Marketers everywhere are skilled at finding loopholes in what can and cannot be said in adverts. Currently we have clean, green and vegan on the bandwagon... Where are the regulations and precise definitions?
Slap cruelty free on a product, and I'm looking for the Cruelty Free International Leaping Bunny (not the PETA bunny which doesn't seem to be vetted). Organic, and I'm looking for the Soil Association symbol. Fair Trade, and I'm looking for the organisation's logo Are there reputable bodies which vet these claims and then stand behind them... if not, the claims have no credibility, imo.

And people are not educated to understand that it's the cumulative exposure to toxic or irritating products they need to watch out for, and especially sprays. You use an air freshener spray ... but do you then whip out the Pledge to polish woodwork, then a spray bottle of surface cleaner in the kitchen... another in the bathroom... then you windowless your windows and mirrors. Unless you are wearing a respirator mask is is all going into your lungs. Not so bad with well ventilated rooms, but not so good otherwise. Air pollution is a problem in the home and not just what comes from traffic and factories.

Too many people fall for the quasi scientific nonsense. If we want to live chemical free lives, we will have to do away with ourselves! We are walking talking chemistry sets...

One of the reasons there are synthetic chemicals is because in some cases the natural product is harmful when ingested.
Sometimes we have synthetic chemicals so we don't ravage nature. The most deadly poisons and toxins are natural.
Marketers everywhere are skilled at finding loopholes in what can and cannot be said in adverts. Currently we have clean, green and vegan on the bandwagon... Where are the regulations and precise definitions?
Slap cruelty free on a product, and I'm looking for the Cruelty Free International Leaping Bunny (not the PETA bunny which doesn't seem to be vetted). Organic, and I'm looking for the Soil Association symbol. Fair Trade, and I'm looking for the organisation's logo Are there reputable bodies which vet these claims and then stand behind them... if not, the claims have no credibility, imo.

And people are not educated to understand that it's the cumulative exposure to toxic or irritating products they need to watch out for, and especially sprays. You use an air freshener spray ... but do you then whip out the Pledge to polish woodwork, then a spray bottle of surface cleaner in the kitchen... another in the bathroom... then you windowless your windows and mirrors. Unless you are wearing a respirator mask is is all going into your lungs. Not so bad with well ventilated rooms, but not so good otherwise. Air pollution is a problem in the home and not just what comes from traffic and factories.

Allergy UK has a list of products that are generally okay for people that are trying to clean up what they use in the home but it's a minefield out there.

Foams in furniture, chemicals in carpets and paint. The basics most people have at home. I noticed a huge difference in my asthma when we started using wool pillows/duvet and took up carpets and just used bare wood in the bedroom. I do like my Cozee Home bedding, though. (A strange combo for a strange person!)

Paint is a massive trigger for me. We haven't decorated for over a decade :oops:. Mr. AE says we'll get a decorator in while we're away but that hasn't happened for years and it's definitely not happening this year so my scuffed and chipped walls will have to do. Dew Superclean has cleaned them up but it's not a miracle worker (sadly).

I often wonder how the planet would gain via manufacturing, transport and pollution if no one ever bought/used air fresheners and cheap candles. I love Neom and other natural wax candles but they're not without cost either. I read a report recently on how much soy wax is costing the planet as soy is now being planted along with palm on cleared rainforest.

I would love the government would do what they keep promising and that is to ban wood stoves and certain types of solid fuel. I can get quite unwell when my neighbours are in full burning mode and I really get annoyed I cant open windows plus the fumes get in even the smallest gap such as the bliddy letterbox.

Ahhhh.... the cloths/flannels.

My worst is when Mr B uses a cloth & leaves it wet on the drainer containing a disgusting morsel of old food. Yuk. I won't use it after he's been at it & they have to be hot washed.

Meant to add that they do a **** job on purpose so that we just do it ourselves in future.

TBH Mr L is pretty good (years of training) but I channel his cleaning to non water related chores like vacuuming and dusting.
Mr B left open the bedroom window while it was blowing & raining a Hoolie yesterday. Come bed time, water down the back of the radiator, on carpet & all over sill. !?!!!

I would love the government would do what they keep promising and that is to ban wood stoves and certain types of solid fuel. I can get quite unwell when my neighbours are in full burning mode and I really get annoyed I cant open windows plus the fumes get in even the smallest gap such as the bliddy letterbox.

I feel your pain. Wood smoke is the worst especially when you have neighbours like mine that put expensive wood burners in then burn anything they can find/buy cheaply. The ditz next door has tried burning blue pallets! Damp!!

I've been wondering today how on earth I can smell woodsmoke despite not having anything open so I sniffed around my front door and it IS my ****** letterbox. I get more than annoyed I can't open my windows depending on which way the wind blows as I'm a serial airer. I can't pee straight unless my bedroom and bathroom windows are opened on at least a crack for at least an hour in the morning. Now I have to send Mr. AE off upstairs at 10am every day as the neighbour lights theirs every day at 10:15.

The ditz next door loves paying dodgy people for goods/services. Last summer she had her wood fence painted by a random bloke who used creosote. Creosote! Cancer-causing, stinky ****** creosote. I couldn't go outside or open windows for a few months. I was spitting feathers and ended up reporting to the council (who did nothing). I got really stressed as I'm not a reporting type and I know from others' experiences that I should have known better as I wouldn't even have had any satisfaction of seeing them remove it out of it. I'm dreading this summer.

Another neighbour goes out in his truck with a chainsaw and is known to sell logs for burning. He was fined heavily a few years ago for cutting trees with bats roosting in them but he's still at it. I've noticed the big old oaks in the woodline behind us getting thinner and can hear him out there with his saw.

It's so depressing having people like that on the planet.

Apparently current-design wood burners are about to be made illegal for NEW installations, so my next door neighbour wants to fit one before the new regs come in. I can smell the woodsmoke from another house many doors away.

I feel your pain. Wood smoke is the worst especially when you have neighbours like mine that put expensive wood burners in then burn anything they can find/buy cheaply. The ditz next door has tried burning blue pallets! Damp!!

I've been wondering today how on earth I can smell woodsmoke despite not having anything open so I sniffed around my front door and it IS my ****** letterbox. I get more than annoyed I can't open my windows depending on which way the wind blows as I'm a serial airer. I can't pee straight unless my bedroom and bathroom windows are opened on at least a crack for at least an hour in the morning. Now I have to send Mr. AE off upstairs at 10am every day as the neighbour lights theirs every day at 10:15.

The ditz next door loves paying dodgy people for goods/services. Last summer she had her wood fence painted by a random bloke who used creosote. Creosote! Cancer-causing, stinky ****** creosote. I couldn't go outside or open windows for a few months. I was spitting feathers and ended up reporting to the council (who did nothing). I got really stressed as I'm not a reporting type and I know from others' experiences that I should have known better as I wouldn't even have had any satisfaction of seeing them remove it out of it. I'm dreading this summer.

Another neighbour goes out in his truck with a chainsaw and is known to sell logs for burning. He was fined heavily a few years ago for cutting trees with bats roosting in them but he's still at it. I've noticed the big old oaks in the woodline behind us getting thinner and can hear him out there with his saw.

It's so depressing having people like that on the planet.
You have to report this tree poaching, Alter. Get someone to film him. phone council/local rag.

Although where I live we all have oil fired central heating many still burn coal at times. I have no idea what type they all use but it is really bad, makes the wood burners smell positively fragrant. Slurry on the fields are bad but at least that is only for a limited timeframe.

I'm the same, windows open early before they get round to lighting them up but now I’ve got this bliddy squirrel visitor I can’t even do that. His nibs sauntered up the drive this morning as if he owned all around him!

You have to report this tree poaching, Alter. Get someone to film him. phone council/local rag.

I have. Several times. Our council tells me to report when I hear the chainsaw to the police, the police never do anything about it.

This is the biggest problem with living 40+ miles from the council offices and 15 miles from the nearest 'manned' police station.

LATI - the really stinky coal is the cheap steam coal. It leaves a greasy black residue on my indoor windowsills if I leave the windows open and my outdoor ones have to be scrubbed regularly or it stains and I've had to re-paint.

I'm blessed with two neighbours that have multi-burners so it's a lottery whether we get wood smoke or coal stink. ALL the houses around here have mains gas but people will do anything to save a buck. Our street is a mix of council-built and private-built homes. What amazes me is the nosy/horrible woman opposite has changed from oil to gas and then back to oil central heating in the space of 5 years. Next door requested coal before they moved in so coal was fitted. 2 years later they requested gas (and had it). Then they requested a log burner to work along with the gas. And (you've guessed it) had it. This was a huge oversight by the council as they're known as the nice-but-dim family so the whole street has been complaining about what they've been burning in their 'wood' burner 'cause it sure as hell isn't wood!

I'm just shocked that a council can find money to do all this for some of their tenants but can't find the money to replace the glass in the front door of the family opposite. It was broken deliberately, though, so maybe they only pay out for the squeaky wheels/bit dim but not the single mum with a violent ex.

Latest posts

Back