2012 Support thread

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Calvin

Registered Shopper
The original thread disappeared when the forum changed server a week or two ago and I hope nobody minds if I start a new one. I have been missing the updates and successes, so get writing ladies!

I had gone 12lbs over my goal and took myself in hand before I completely lost it altogether. I am sure that most of you know I went from 17st 1.5lbs to around the 10stone mark. My BMI was 41, which was just on the 'morbidly obese' scale, I hated how I looked and, over a 20month period, I lost the weight at WeightWatchers. I think I had become a bit complacent, portion sizes got bigger and I began to graze and eat mindlessly, so now I am back at WW, tracking and being much more mindful with what I eat. And I am getting results- I have dropped to 10st 6.5lbs and will lose the rest!

So, lets use the new thread as a new start...how have you all been getting on? Do tell!

Sharon :sun:

Well done Calvin. In my opinion it's more difficult to maintain than lose weight and you're doing brilliantly! I've got about 5 lbs to lose which are proving really difficult to shift. I'm not sure if that makes me eligible to join this thread, but I could do with the support. I lose a couple then they go right back on again. I'm feeling quite disheartened!

It's open to anyone who needs to lose and can share their dieting ups and downs, hint, tips and stories with us. We have all been there and know how difficult to shift weight, whether it's 5stone or 5lbs. great tohave you on board!

Thanks Calvin hopefully joining this thread will give me the kick up the bum I need! I'm 9 stone 11 and want to get to 9 stone 5. At 5'4' I'm not technically overweight, but my clothes are telling me otherwise. The worrying this is I don't feel I'm eating any more than usual, but since starting the menopause the weight just seems to be going on no matter how little I eat. I love my food and put on weight very easily so I have to keep a tight rein on things or it'll spiral out of control.

Hi, didn't realise we had lost all the previous posts!

Well done Calvin. I am pleased to say that I also had a bit of an epiphany (not sure I'm using this word in the right context but it sounds good) a few weeks ago. I was steadily piling on the pounds and it was starting to get me down because I felt that I was nearly back where I started. So, after a day of picking at chocolate biscuits at work, I decided enough was enough and I started to be more mindful too. I have now lost 5 pounds in about 3 weeks and hopefully I should become a non-fee paying member of WW again soon. I think being "mindful" is what it's all about, really. Just thinking about the consequences of eating unnecessary junk or sweet stuff and trying to replace it with fruit or nuts really makes a difference. I had a bit of a binge last night and honestly did not feel great because of it. Personally, I'm definitely better if I make myself eat a proper meal at night, no matter what time I get in. Because I go to the gym a few times a week and being busy at work at the moment, I find that if I have things like McCains baked potatoes and Quorn filllets and packets of steamed veggies in the freezer then I can make myself a healthy meal in a very short space of time. Of course, if you are feeding a family then this would not be the most cost-effective way to shop but it suits my needs.

Petpixie, keep at it and you will soon see results. It's amazing how carrying those few excess pounds can make you feel frumpier.

Have a good weekend everyone.

I have been going to slimming world for 7 months and got my 1 stone award yesterday. I have been up and down like a yoyo but i am getting there. I have another 7lbs to go so hope to loose that soon.
My problem is i still like to eat out and have a few glasses of wine but if i go off plan even slightly i put weight on. I am sticking with it as i think if i did not go i would put it all on.
I am going to Spain at weekend so will try to be good.

Well I'm still exactly where I was! Since I last posted I've lost a pound and found it again!! I really have to take myself in hand. I know exactly why it's going back on ~ as soon as I lose it I relax and think goody it's safe to eat and I eat and eat and eat! Then I'm good for the week and lose it again! I've got to get a grip!
Well done felinewoman and miss molly ~ you're both doing great! I hope some of your willpower rubs off on me.

I am STILL plodding on and seem to be losing 3 weeks out of 4.
So far I have lost over 60lb but still have such a long way to go, before I reach what is considered a healthy weight.
I really don't know if I want it badly enough to keep on and on watching what I eat for ever.
I don't feel any different and don't even look that different, so why am I bothering.
I know enough to know that it must be better for my health not to be carrying so much exes weight.
Can you tell I am having a "funny" turn today.

Huge congrats on losing over 60lbs madmax! You've accomplished so much! Yes it's hard, but the benefits are more than worth it. Can I ask how much more do you want to lose? If you have the resolve to lose what you already have, then you have the resolve to lose the remainder. I remember reading an article by Alison Moyet. She said that she was a really private person and one of the reasons she lost weight was the thought of getting older and becoming less mobile and needing people to help her with her personal care. Being slim fit, healthy and able is preferable to the alternative so don't give up!

Thanks for the encouragement PP I know that you are right and it is essential that I carry on losing the weight. Not only for my joints (I have rheumatoid arthritis) but I was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and VERY high blood pressure which gave me the biggest wake up call ever when the Dr said that I was limiting my life by at least 25 if not 30 years, and I am not ready to go just yet.
All of which WILL be helped by my losing the weight so I am going to plod on and on and on until I have at least reduced my blood pressure and got the diabetes under control.
I need to lose as least as much again and I still don't think I will be within the WW healthy weight range so might never get to goal.
You are all a great support as my family have no idea what it is like to need to lose weight.
THANKS

Madmax 60lbs is a fantastic amount of weight to have lost you are doing brilliant. You may not see it but i bet other people will so keep on track, we all have bad days or weeks in my case but that is part of the course.

Well, after my little self-righteous rant the other day, I have eaten rubbish 2 nights running, the reason being that I bought WW crisps in Poundland and once they were in the house I felt compelled to eat them all at once. I don't think I will ever be strong willed enough to keep tempting things in the house without bingeing!

Madmax, keep going, you have done so well to have lost such a huge amount. You can't give up now. It's only normal to become a little bored along the way but you will get there eventually.

Have a great weekend everyone.

I had to go for a brain scan in the MRI machine on Saturday and boy was it a tight fit. I am so glad that I have lost the weight as I would NEVER have fitted into the tube before.
I would have been so ashamed and embarrassed. So I can at last see some good coming out of losing weight.
I am seeing the rhumatology nurse tomorrow and I haven't seen her since I started dieting so it will be interesting to see if she notices any difference in my blood test results and my joint scores.
It is WW tomorrow and as I have lost 7lb over the last 2 weeks I am not expecting a loss and will be happy if I stay the same and haven't put on

Karen, I am so glad you're starting to see and feel the benefits of weight loss. I find all your success stories very inspiring and I hope the nurse is majorly impressed with your progress tomorrow. I think we don't necessarly notice (or acknowledge!) all the positives of weight loss straight away. As most of you know, Ihave lost 100lbs and kept it off for over a year now and yet it wasn't until my 15 year old daughter and I walked up the cliff path at the Giant's Causeway that I realised I could never have done it when I weighed 17stone. It takes a lot of guts to admit that being overweight does hinder health and life choices.

I am having a bit of a struggle with weight again and I am trying hard to fill up on soups and make the right choices in Asda. I am still going to the gym 3-4 times a week and dread to think how much weight I would have put on if it were not for Bodypump! What I do know is that I can't afford to lose sight of the numerous ways I have benefitted from losing weight and must practice daily to stop the 'fat girl' from escaping again!

Last edited:
I am sure that you are only having a minor blip Calvin and will be back on the straight and narrow before you can say Weight Watchers!!
I PUT ON 1lb this week which was to be expected after my 2 big losses so I am not to upset and will keep on dong what I have been doing and hopefully I will have a loss next week.
The nurse was very happy with the amount I have lost so far, she said that she thought that I needed to lose another 3 or 4 stone not the 6 or 7 W.W say. So that made me feel much better.
Having said that I will probably go on to lose all of the weight and try to get to goal but I know from seeing my sister that I will look ill if I go to low. So I will be guided by the mirror as well as the scales.

I am so pleased for you Madmax. It must have been gratifying when the nurse told you she was pleased with your results.

Calvin, you are an inspiration to everyone. I too have been struggling and finally managed to lose a few pounds over the last month. Last night I didn't have to pay which was great. However, I was then told I had put on 1.5 lbs so I was a bit gutted about that. I am finding it much more difficult to keep it off these days. I don't want to go right down to my goal weight but if I could stick at 11 stone that would be ideal. It's all a bit of a bummer!

Have a great weekend all.

Well done to everyone! Calvin I know what a struggle it is to keep on the straight and narrow. I put on a shedload of weight after my 3rd pregnancy and it took a long while for me to lose it. Ever since then it's really been a daily battle to keep slim but it's one I'm determined to win. It's hard keeping slim and it's hard being fat ~ choose your hard and I know which I prefer. I've lost 1lb and hopefully this one will stay off!

Well I didn't get to WW this evening.
I had an appointment at the pain clinic this afternoon and the consultant injected my neck 5 times with BOTOX it was very painful but will hopefully start to sort out the muscle going into spasm all the time.
All of this meant that I didn't get home until after class had started and as I was very tired I just drove to McDonalds and brought something for dinner.
Not ideal I know but needs must.

Sometimes circumstances dictate so don't beat yourself up about it. The injections sound awful - hope they are helping.

Put on again this week and stuffed myself at work this morning. I know all the psychology behind my eating habits but it doesn't always help.

It hasn't stopped raining here all day - hope you are all enjoying better weather.

Have a good weekend one and all.

Latest posts

Back