2012 Support thread

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm struggling too and I'm no further forward. The scary thing is if I wasn't actively watching what I ate I'd be the size of a house by now. I'm in diet mode, but just maintaining! Damned menopause! I'm not giving up. I'm determined I'm going to get to my target weight no matter how long it takes.
It's piddling down here too FW and has been all day. Good luck to you all over the weekend xx

Karen, those injections sound terrible and it must be hard to stay focussed on weight loss when you have so many health issues. I know I would turn to food for comfort in those circumstances...then I'd feel guilty....then I'd beat myself up and turn to comfort food again!! Keep hanging in there, you're doing so well!

Sue, I know what you mean about the psychology of why we binge etc. I could have written the book too! And I still can't work it out why I take it out on myself, after all, I'm not hurting anyone else with my chocolate binges. So many of our bad eating habits must stem back years and it's difficult not to revert when life kicks us in the teeth.

Keep on doing what you're doing PP and the weight will come off eventually. Have you looked at the size of your portions? I know I can slip up very easily and sometimes turn to the kitchen scales and measuring spoons for a week or two to get meals back in proportion. It's amazing how many calories/WW Propoints etc a little exra shake of rice or pasta can add!

I'm up and down with food at the moment. I have lost a bit of focus and am overeating. I had seven of my famiy for dinner last week and made some terrific food, overindulged on the vino and have stayed off-track all week. I'm still going to the gym and dread to think how much I would have put on without the exercise. I'm doing a spin class this evening and coming home to a curry from the Hairy Bikers' new book, 'The Hairy Dieters', which has lots of great-tasting, calorie controlled meals. I think you should all treat yourself to it!

Something from one of the US fitness and diet pages I follow on FB:-
487019_426036667459865_1007790779_n.jpg

Have a great weekend, everyone xx

Last edited:
I have not weighed my self at all this week as once I started eating on Wednesday I just haven't been able to stop.
I KNOW that I will have put on yet again.
I am sitting here at 6.30am on Sunday morning with 3 slices of toast and butter and then peanut butter on top of the butter.
I just need comfort and for me that is anything with lots of carb's and fat in it. Yesterday I made chocolate cake with chocolate fudge icing and ate most of it.
I am going to have to get myself under control or before I know it I will have put back on what I have already lost.
I have always "self medicated" with food when ever I have been in a lot of physical pain, eating just makes it that little bit better I had hoped that I had put it behind me but once again I have turned to my old friend/enemy to make myself feel better.
I am going to get today over with and then start afresh tomorrow. A new week a new start and back in control.

Karen, we have all been there and food is so often the 'best friend' we have. When you get up tomorrow, put today behind you and look forward, not back! I shall be doing the same thing. I had a bingey day yesterday (chocolate biscuits, stilton, thickly buttered crusy bread, a huge bowl of Crunchy Nut cornflakes and more), and your story is so familiar. I can only speak from my experience, but as I lost weight, I began to like myself again and the binges and comfort eating episodes are fewer now. It takes a very long time to turn your mindset round and not only learn how to believe in your capabilities but to love your body too. You have come so far and we're all rooting for you!

Sharon xxxx

Well I am so HAPPY I have LOST 2lb over the last 2 weeks, just quite how that happened I don't know!!
But it has really made me refocus and set a new goal for the rest of the year it is just 2 days under 12 weeks until my 52nd birthday and I AM GOING to lose another stone by then.
That will make me the lightest I have been for about 15 years so a good do able goal to set my self.
I have brought a new WW journal which is just the right length for the challenge ahead so I am looking forward not back now.
An other aside our WW leader was rushed into hospital 4 weeks ago for emergency surgery (she will not be back until well into the new year sadly) and we have had a random selection of leaders from around the area to fill in.
What has surprised me is their different leading styles, there has been one girl (she can't be more than 25 and has lost well over 100 lb) who takes classes in Plymouth (45 miles away) who is just so inspirational if her classes where just a bit closer I would defiantly change class.
I hope you are all having great weeks and are as HAPPY as I am when you get onto the scales.

hi everyone, enjoyed reading this thread. just wanted to send a big (((((hug))))) to madmax and say how i understand how hard it is when you can't really 'see' the results yourself. i have always thought that must be very hard for people who have a large amount to lose. i also really empathised when you said 'i don't know if i want to do this for ever'. that's exactly how i'm feeling.

here's my story. i put on about 4 stone on medication - very high dose hormones - which according to my gp 'lay down fat'. he didn't tell me that when he prescribed them. i stopped taking them when i finally hit menopause a couple years ago and have yo yo'd trying to lose ever since. i always maintained i wasn't stupid and knew exactly what to do and didn't need to 'sit around in the village hall with a load of fat women'. however when i turned 60 this year, i finally admitted that i clearly don't and gave in and asked my gp for help. i saw his nurse and she prescribed slimming world. literally prescribed which means it is free for 12 weeks.

i don't know much about slimming groups but i can say it is definitely true that you don't feel hungry on the SW diet and it's also true you eat more than before. when people told me this previously i didn't believe them. my cousin who has done both SW and WW said she was so hungry when she did WW, she used to go to bed after tea every night but she wasn't hungry on SW. i don't understand it - the only thing i can get my head round is calories in/calories out.

i was also prescribed healthy horizons which is a reduced price gym membership for people who are overweight or have had health problems. it's not any cheaper for me becasue i'm 60 but it would be half price if you're under 60. i was dreading it but the instructors look after all their HH people very well. i also do nordic walking with the same instructors.

just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone wants to join SW or the gym and can't afford it.

anyway, i had a bad start - lost 1 lb and all the other newbies lost 4. i was so disappointed but over a couple months i managed to lose 10 pounds. then it all went wrong. i'm a veggie and needed a protein source so i was eating quite a few eggs. all of a sudden, every tie i thought of eggs i felt sick. then every time i thought of SW i felt sick. all i could eat for 3 weeks was toast and sure enough, the weight started creeping on again. i finally went to my gp who didn't agree it was psychological and thinks it's some sort of stomach problem for which he's given me pills. then my beloved cat became ill on oct 1st and still is - he's in the veterinary hospital at this moment still and is still undiagnosed. i have been out of my mind with worry and SW was the last thing on my mind. also i haven't been able to get to group because of waiting for vet calls etc. the last few days i have been trying very hard to get back on track.

one last thing i wanted to tell madmax - i was watching dr oz the other day and a lady on there said 'remember you didn't gain the weight in 2 weeks so you're not going to lose it in 2 weeks'. a simple statement but it helped me in those times wheni feel i'm getting nowhere.

that's it - sorry for the long post.

Welcome to the drop your weight "zone" Janie.
You have joined a very supportive group we are all struggling to either lose weight or keep off the weight we have already lost.
I am still in the losing weight group!! and think I will be for some time to come.
I joined WW on a scheme very similar to the one you joined SW on .I had 12 weeks free and have now been a paying member for 4 months.
I have to say that I have never felt hungry on WW and love the total flexibility the pro point system gives me, I don't drink but loads of the ladies and men in my group save their activity and 49 pro points for an evening out or a glass or 2 of wine at the weekend, this helps them stay on track and still be in control.
But like every thing in life it is "horse's for courses" and I am sure that once you are over all of the difficulty's your poor cat is having and he is back home with you safe and sound you will be able to get back into the zone and start losing weight again.
I know that I ALWAYS reach for food if any thing is going wrong in my life and always have done. I am trying so hard to overcome this and it is two steps forward and one step back but I am losing around 4 to 6 pounds over most months which I find a better way of looking at it rather than week by week.
So good luck and you know where to come if you need to let off steam and have a friendly "chat"
Karen

Another pound OFF, I am a bit disappointed as I only needed to lose 2 lb to get another silver 7 and to have lost 5 stone in all.
But I am looking forward to next week and losing another pound and getting it then.
I hope you are all having a GREAT week and will have lost at the scales.

Well i went to SW last night after 3 weeks off including holiday to spain and have put 7lb back on :sad I knew i had by the feel of my clothes but still a shocker how easy it goes back on. I will write everything down this week as got a christmas party on 7th December and want to feel comfortable in a party frock.

Well Wednesday has come round once again and on a very wet and windy night off I trotted to get weighed.
I have stayed the same this week which was what I was expecting
No one told me just how cold I would feel after having lost weight, has anyone else experienced this or is it just me??
I just want to go to bed and stay there for the whole of the winter, but I managed to lose weight last winter so I WILL lose it this one even if it means wearing lots more clothes.
One of the ladies in the class is off to the far east next week until the 1st of March, I so wish I was going somewhere hot for the winter.
Take care and I hope you all got the results you wanted at the scales.

I went tonight too and lost 1.5 lb was hoping for more but hay ho. Came home and did 30 mins on treadmill, on a mission to get in that dress:mysmilie_501::mysmilie_501:

I'm still exactly the same as I was when I started! I've got a new strategy though ~ I've decided not to weigh myself for a month because every time I weigh and have lost, something in my brain goes yipeee! You can have little blowout because you've lost weight and then of course on it goes again. So watch this space! You're all doing so well ~ keep up the good work and when it's cold, miserable and you need some comfort food, enjoy a warming bowl of soup guilt free! xx

Hi Miss M ~ I've only got 5 lbs to lose so I'm not sure I'd notice a drop in measurements. They're really vanity lbs so I'm not desperately motivated, but I do want to lose them. I'm hoping my new strategy works!

Yes yes yes !!
I managed to lose 2 lb this week so have now lost 2 stone before I started WW and 3 stone with WW so that is 5 yes 5 stone in almost exactly a year.
I am just about half way to goal and for the first time it actually seems to be a reachable target.
I know it is going to take me longer than a year to get the next 5 stone off but I WILL do it.
It was a good night as we had one lady getting to goal she has lost 54.5 lb since February and one lady getting her 10%
So celebrations all round.
I hope you all had a good result at the scales this week.
Karen

Well done MM i did not go last night as felt really tired after work and did not want to go out again at 7.30 Pm. Will try to be good this week :smirk:

Well done Karen, that is a fantastic weight loss...now you're inspiring me!! It's so good to hear you talking so positively about your weight loss, just take it a day at a time and you'll be flying.

I have lost the plot and I'm eating like a navvy. I was going to head out to WW this evening, but my DD is coming home after a couple of months in Tenerife tomorrow and we want an Indian and drinks. And I know I can get back on track on Saturday and I am acting the way I always told people not to, but I think I've lost a bit of motivation, tbh.

Have you gained weight Calvin or are you just trying to maintain? I'm doing pathetically badly. I said I wasn't going to go on the scales but yesterday I did and I've gained 2lbs! WTF??? so now I've gone from not being able to lose to actually gaining!! I'm taking serious action now. This is beyond a joke!

Hi folks

Congratulations to those who have lost, Karen in particular, and commiserations to everyone else.

I have been a total disaster the last few months - good one day and then pigging out the next. However, I dragged myself to WW last night and to my utter amazement I lost one pound. I was delighted. Mind you, we had cake for a birthday today and I stuffed myself as usual. The most annoying thing is I tell myself I'm not going to have anything and then I do. I'd be better not thinking about it at all and then maybe I wouldn't feel the need to cram it in. Calvin, I like the way you said you were eating like a navvy - that just about sums it up.

Anyway, I refuse to give up so I shall plod on. This is a difficult time of year with Xmas outings being arranged but as our leader says, chocolates and other tempting things are available all year round so we shouldn't feel the need to cram them all in over a few specific days in the year.

Hope you all have a good weekend, everyone!

Losing weight (I will NOT say dieting) is like pushing a van up hill, you need the help of your friends ,it has to be taken slowly, it is very hard work, some times you seem to be going backwards, BUT if you take your hands of the van it WILL end up back down at the bottom of the hill were you started.
So no matter which stage of the climb you are on don't take your hands off the van.
We had this scenario to talk about at WW the other week and it really made me sit up and take stock.
We have all come so far and some of us Calvin are already at the top of the hill so don't give up and end up back were you started.
I agree with your leader Felinewoman these things are all around us all of the time so why we feel the need to "pig out" just because it is Christmas or a birthday etc etc I have yet to work out.
Have a good week all of you I am off on Holiday next week so I looking at damage limitation rather than losing when I am next on the scales.

Latest posts

Back