2012 Support thread

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have put on a few pounds petpixie, although I haven't got weighed, so I don't know how many. I know I need to rein myself in and to borrow Karen's van analogy, it's starting to slip back down th hill! (That's an excellent illustration Karen!)

So much of weightloss/eating is psychological and I have never understood why we need to turn to food when life is stressful, or wht we need to stock the cupboards with treats because it's Christmas or whatever. I think one of the key parts of weightloss and maintenance is leaning how to trat ourselves without letting it trigger a binge. This guy is one of my favourite weightloss bloggers, and this post is a great illustration of how we should be living. http://blog.juststopeatingsomuch.com/fall-in-a-cup/ I recommend his blog and his story is inspirartional,

Karen, have a wonderful holiday!! xx

What an amazing discovery! Well done to all the losers & triers, I have struggled with my weight for a few years now, I need to lose 4stone, yes, 4stone, how depressing :( I was a very slim when I was younger & modelled Sportswear & Wedding Wear, but in recent years I've lost the plot, eating really badly at times & no willpower at all! I walk 4miles about 5nites a week, so Im quite fit, but ruin all this hardwork eating crap! Im going on a cruise with my girlfriends in May to celebrate us all turning 40 recently, so I would love to lose a few stone for that. Hubby is very supportive of me whatever my size, but Im not happy with how I look& need to do something about it. Good Luck everyone, its a struggle wether you've 5lbs or 5stone to lose. Heres to a good week x

What an amazing discovery! Well done to all the losers & triers, I have struggled with my weight for a few years now, I need to lose 4stone, yes, 4stone, how depressing :( I was a very slim when I was younger & modelled Sportswear & Wedding Wear, but in recent years I've lost the plot, eating really badly at times & no willpower at all! I walk 4miles about 5nites a week, so Im quite fit, but ruin all this hardwork eating crap! Im going on a cruise with my girlfriends in May to celebrate us all turning 40 recently, so I would love to lose a few stone for that. Hubby is very supportive of me whatever my size, but Im not happy with how I look& need to do something about it. Good Luck everyone, its a struggle wether you've 5lbs or 5stone to lose. Heres to a good week x
Glad I've found The Drop and this thread. Like you Latchi, I used to be slim but since turning 40 I have put weight on (I am now 50) and need to lose 4 stone. A couple of years ago I lost 2 stone at slimming world but now its back! The problem I have is this - I feel that if I go back to SW I will just go through the same cycle again - and will feel like a failure again. To me, losing 4 stone is such a huge task and very daunting but I have to do something as my clothes are not fitting so well. I use food for comfort so I think my relationship with food is psycological and so before I go back to SW I think I might listen to Paul Mckenna!! Anyone had any luck with his hypnosis approach?

I have tried EVERY method known to woman kind to lose weight and am still struggling with it.
However I have ALWAYS been more sucsesful when I have joined a group and made a comitment to it and the other people who are in the group.
I am now "doing" Weight Watchers and have found it great, I ALWAYS stay to the talk part of the meeting as that is where you make friends and connections to others who are in the same place and on the same journey as you are.
So go on join a group and You will find it so much easier to lose weight and then once the weight has come off then keep on going to the group.

I have tried EVERY method known to woman kind to lose weight and am still struggling with it.
However I have ALWAYS been more sucsesful when I have joined a group and made a comitment to it and the other people who are in the group.
I am now "doing" Weight Watchers and have found it great, I ALWAYS stay to the talk part of the meeting as that is where you make friends and connections to others who are in the same place and on the same journey as you are.
So go on join a group and You will find it so much easier to lose weight and then once the weight has come off then keep on going to the group.

I will second everything Karen says, particularly about keeping going to the group. I lost 7stone 2 lbs with WW and, for a while, I was a leader. Changes in circumstances at home meant I gave up leadership and I began to slack in my eating habits. As I am a regular at the gym, I thought I'd be ok, but I finally admitted that I'd put on a few pounds and went to class last night....and I am 14.5 lbs OVER goal! I am now tracking everything! I believed that I could exercise away the effects of a bad diet, but I have been proved wrong...it's 80% diet and 20% exercise! Now, please excuse me while I fill in my tracker :hi:

You're nipping it in the bud now Calvin and that's what counts. I really believing dieting is a piece of cake compared to staying slim. You've done so amazingly well to lose the weight now comes the next challenge of maintaining and I have no doubt you can do it. My appetite seems to have increased due to the menopause or something because atm every day is a battle for me to maintain never mind lose!

How true, petpixie. It's much easier to keep motivated when losing than maintaining. I know that as we get older our metabolism slows down and we need less food to stay the same but it is SO difficult to do this! (I am 53 and have been through the menopause.) I will mainly be eating plenty of filling and healthy foods (high fibre, low fat)and will factor in the occasional treat, for sanity's sake! I find it easier to lose weight in the winter...soups, stews and curries, cooked the low fat way, help keep me full, so here's to a few pounds off in the next weeks :)

And welcome Latchi and Reflexgirl, looking forward to hearing how you're getting on over the next few weeks.

I have missed this weeks weigh in as I am away in London for a week.
I have walked miles and miles but I have eaten like it is going out of fashion!!
I will be home by this time tomorrow and will be right back on track, I have come to far to lose the momentum now.
Good luck to Latchi and Reflexgirl, I hope you will both enjoy sharing your journey with the rest of us, we are all aiming for the same end result and are on the same pathway.

Hi ladies, i havent been around for a while....severely struggling with dam menopause :( but on a good note i have finally got back to my gold zone :) and as you say the hard part now for me is trying to keep it there. Its only taken me since end of June to pull it back...not easy xx

Well I am now back home and dreading Wednesdays weigh in I just haven't been able to stop eating
I was so sure that once I was back home I would be able to get straight back on track and rain my eating in back under control. But it just hasn't happened.
I have started off each day with the best of intentions but by mid morning I am looking for something to eat, I know that I am not hungry but that isn't stopping me grabbing what ever I can find, and to be honest with you there isn't much to grab as I haven't been shopping yet but I did find a box of WW biscuits I didn't like very much at the back of a cupboard so ate them and then had some fruit and then a packet of crisps. I am going to go and have a rest at least while I am in bed I am not eating (much) .
I hope you are all having a better Monday than I am.

I am having a cr&p time , I put on 3lb while I was away and haven't stopped eating since I came home. I seem to have lost the will power needed to watch what I eat all of the time. I am so fed up of not being able to have what I want when I want it with out worrying about calories/ points all the time. Is it really worth all of anxt and worry when you add it all up?? I will carry on for the next 4 weeks as I have already paid for WW's for the month and can't afford to lose the money and if I am still feeling like this I might give it up for a couple of months and then restart. I do HOPE you are all having a much better time than I am.

I've lost a couple of lbs and it seems to be staying off than goodness! Madmax, for me staying slim is unfortunately all about denying yourself on a daily basis. However in my opinion the benefits of denial outweigh the enjoyment of overeating and that's the top and bottom line. I love food and I know I can use it to self medicate. When I feel anxious, a carbohydrate fix can soothe me, but only temporarily and then I'm left with the consequences which depress me. I struggle to keep slim (especially since menopause) but for the sake of vanity and good health it's a battle I'm determined where I'm always going to have the upper hand. You've done so amazingly well don't throw it all away. Could you take a break from actively losing weight and just maintain for a while? That should give you the breathing space to regroup and start again. Don't give up MM!!!! xx

Some how I managed to lose 3lb this week taking me back to the 5 stone total, I am now working towards 6 stone by the end of January.
I am not going to be buying loads of sweets and chocolates this Christmas, I don't need it and I can't really afford it both in terms of calories and cash.
I will cook a nice dinner (slow roasted shoulder of pork) and will have a nice steamed syrup sponge with custard for pudding and then back on the straight and narrow.

You have come so far, Madmax, don't give up, however tempting it might be. I know I sometimes ask myself is it wortth all the denial - I'm really struggling at the moment - but I think in the long run it must be. As Petpixie says, maybe if you step away for a few weeks and take the pressure off, you might find you are losing weight anyway.#

Your Christmas menu sounds good - enjoy!

Hi
I hope you are all Ok as there haven't been any posts for AGES have you all given up??
After the very stressful last 3 weeks, I am still struggling to get back on track. I am having far more out of control days than ones where I am in sort of control. I am going to try not to do to much damage over Christmas and then go at full steam ahead in the New Year. I think lots of people are thinking the same, even the WW leader says this is what she is going to do (off the record) as WW seem to think we are all going to LOSE WEIGHT over Christmas who's world are they living in??

I'm staying the same which is the best I can hope for atm. I'm by no means over eating, but because I only have vanity pounds to lose it requires dropping my calories quite low to maintain that weight. My metabolism has definitely slowed with age ~ it was so much easier when I was younger.
Good luck to everyone over the festive season.

Hi everyone, I have managed to get back into my gold zone and so far i have stayed there...fingers crossed. Although i have decided not to cancel my ww membership until after the holidays as i will prob have put loads back on by then lol.
I think my weight loss recently is def down to menapause goings on lol....oh happy days x

Like you PP, mine are really vanity pounds but I would so like to get back to the gold zone just so I don't have to pay every week - that would give me the incentive to not have that extra snack. It is definitely harder than it was a few years ago, must be age and hormones (if there are any left!). Did manage to lose a pound this week so I'm pretty pleased about that. Was given a huge huge box of Milk Tray at work, absolutely massive, and I'm afraid I'm going to regift it to the nursing home as I would be capable of demolishing the lot!

Anyway, I'm finishing work today for Christmas so just wanted to wish everyone "Happy Holidays" and hope that 2013 brings you all that you wish.

Take care everyone and see you next year.

I was given a tower of chocolates (6 boxes of the most delicious chocolates stacked on top of each other) from Hamper gifts http://www.hampergifts.co.uk/gift-towers.cfm. I was so tempted to open a box, but I re wrapped them and have passed them on! I feel very virtuous but also quite guilty for giving them away. No one else in the house except for me would eat them though and it's just too tempting for me. Still the same weight. I 've managed to keep the 2 lbs off and as long as I maintain over the festive period I'm happy. Good luck to every one and I hope you all have a very happy Christmas xx

Latest posts

Back