2013 Support thread

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Calvin

Registered Shopper
Happy New Year to all! I thought I'd start the 2013 ball rolling. I don't know how the rest of you fared over the festive season, but I am sitting on my sofa, still in my nightie at 11.30 am feeling unfit and bloated. What better day to start a new regime! I will be heading to my WeightWatchers class on Thursday night and I expect a huge shock on the scales. I'll be dusting off my gym membership too and perhaps putting a few kilometres on the roads round here as my cousin has promised to be my running buddy.

Over the couple of years I've dipped in and out of the support threads, I have noticed that all of us need to keep our eyes on the ball or the pounds creep back on (sometimes with frightening speed!) and keeping in touch with others who understand is a great way to feel encouraged. So folks, many thanks for all your support, tips, tales of victory (or woe) and friendship. Here's to a lighter 2013, and remember not to worry about what you ate between Christmas and the New Year. It's what you eat between the New Year and Christmas that counts! :sun:

Sharon xxx

I'm with you Calvin! Today is the day it all starts! Yesterday was supposed to be the day but mince pies and chocolate took over and the evening passed in a haze of food! I've put on weight ~ I don't want to know how much. My jeans feel tight and I feel bloated and yukky. I'm going to eat sensibly for 2 weeks then weigh. We can do this!!! xx

Well said Calivin.
Today is my birthday so I have got all of my reasons to over eat, over and done with within a week so there are no more excuses.
I am back to WW tomorrow . I am not going to panic WHAT EVER the scales say I can't change what has happened only what is still to come.
I have booked in for aqua fit next week and am trying to walk for at least 45 min's every day with the dogs so that must help.
I am looking to have lost a stone and a half before the middle of March when I visit my Mum and Dad for the first time since they moved in April 2012.
This would mean that I will have lost over 5 stone since I last saw them.
Good luck to all of you lets face the new year with a smile on our faces and a spring in our step.
Karen

I hope you have a wonderful day Karen! xx
teddy017.gif

Well I have managed to LOSE half a pound over the last 3 weeks.
I am not sure how that happened but I am now full steam ahead for losing at least a stone if not more before the 10th March. when I go up country to see my Mum and Dad.
I have got my new WW journal and have started tracking EVERY THING I eat again as it really does help me to stay in control.

Happy New Year one and all and may all your hopes and wishes come true for 2013!

I lost 3.5 lbs over the break but sadly it is due to the fact that my mother is dying and the stress and worry has probably done it. She is still with me as I write but she has been up and done and was admitted to hospital on Christmas morning and they kept her in until Tuesday for what appears to be no good reason other than they said they thought the nursing home still had the plague. Communications were awful and I'm sure she was more distressed in there than in the home. Anyway, the home thought she was leaving us yesterday but after a shot of morphine last night she seemed calmer this morning. She is 91 and has dementia so there is nothing we can do except make her as comfortable as possible.

Anyway, I hope you had a good birthday Karen and get off that sofa and get dressed immediately, Calvin! Mind you, you won't be going far in the rain today!

So sorry felinewoman. I hope your mum is comfortable and you're coping with the situation. I know how stressful it is. I've been caring for my mum for the last 5 years. She has a horrible neurological disease (Like Parkinson's but worse!) and has dementia. She's bed bound and nearing the end. On Christmas Eve I had to call the doc out and it turns out on top of everything she developed shingles all down one side of her face and her eye was affected. It's been very difficult. I don't know what has kept her going so long, but I fear she doesn't have long to go. It's probably a blessing but I don't want to lose her xx

I feel for you Jacqueline. No matter how rational you think you are it still comes down to losing your mum. Your mum sounds like she has had a really hard time of it and it must be doubly difficult for you if you are her primary carer. I hope you have support from friends and family.

Sue

I am so sorry that you are both having such a hard time right now.
It is so hard when your parents get to this stage in life and we feel so helpless to help them.
I hope that both of your Mothers have a comfortable and dignified last few days.
I think that you far more important things on your minds than losing a few pounds.
So all my love and prayers are with you and your families at this very difficult time.
Karen

It is hard Karen and some days I just want to reach for the chocolates and numb myself with food, and that would be easy to do, but I need my health to be good to care for mum (and also my family) and gorging on food wouldn't help in the long run. I've always had to watch what I eat very carefully as if I take my eye off the ball I expand hugely. I put on a lot of weight with my last pregnancy and lost it but it's been a battle to stay slim ever since. I may be only a few pounds over what I want to be and technically not overweight, but I'm an all or nothing person and if I let go I really let go! Unfortunately food is like a drug for me and in difficult times like now, is when I use it to zone out, but I can't because if I did I'd end up very, very overweight.

Happy New Year one and all and may all your hopes and wishes come true for 2013!

I lost 3.5 lbs over the break but sadly it is due to the fact that my mother is dying and the stress and worry has probably done it. She is still with me as I write but she has been up and done and was admitted to hospital on Christmas morning and they kept her in until Tuesday for what appears to be no good reason other than they said they thought the nursing home still had the plague. Communications were awful and I'm sure she was more distressed in there than in the home. Anyway, the home thought she was leaving us yesterday but after a shot of morphine last night she seemed calmer this morning. She is 91 and has dementia so there is nothing we can do except make her as comfortable as possible.

Anyway, I hope you had a good birthday Karen and get off that sofa and get dressed immediately, Calvin! Mind you, you won't be going far in the rain today!

I am so sorry that you are both having such a hard time right now.
It is so hard when your parents get to this stage in life and we feel so helpless to help them.
I hope that both of your Mothers have a comfortable and dignified last few days.
I think that you far more important things on your minds than losing a few pounds.
So all my love and prayers are with you and your families at this very difficult time.
Karen

Can't express my thoughts any better. Thank you Karen for such a beautiful, eloquent post. I add my thoughts to both of you, can't imagine what you are going through. Hugs

Ok I have just joined a 3 month exercise program. A class on Mondays and Fridays with other over size 16 ladies. There is going to be a weigh in and measure once a week followed by exercise and just exercise on the other day. If I get along with it I may well give up Weight Watchers, as I don't see the point of being weighed twice a week. I have had a long chat with the girl running it and explained my physical limitations and she has said that she will be able to work around them. So I am looking at taking this weight loss to an other level. I am not going to lose the weight I want to lose just by dieting alone I have to add in appropriate exercise and as I am NEVER going to join a gym this looked like the next best thing. It is going to be costing £27.50 a month, is that a good deal or am I being ripped off? I have never joined a class like this before so don't know how good or not value it is. I will let you know how the first class goes. If I am still standing to tell the tail.

Well done MM! It's wonderful to see your focus and commitment to losing weight and good health. I can't comment on the cost as I've never attended any kind of exercise class, but if you enjoy it and it works it sounds like a great deal! Have you achieved your total weight loss date with weight watchers? Is it the weekly weigh- in that keeps you motivated or the actual classes? If it's just the weigh-in then it makes sense to just go with the exercise class. What kind of exercising is it? xx

As far as I know it is "general EASY exercises" to begin with and then building up to more difficult as time goes by.
I love staying to the actual class at WW as that is were you get the best help and ideas from the other members and I wouldn't bother going if it was just to get weighed.
But if I can get the same level of support from the new class then I might give up WW I will carry on going to both for the first month just to see how I get on.

Ok
I managed to lose 1.5lb this week. Not a lot but better than gaining.
I am giving the 5:2 eating program a trail at the moment and so far it is going far better than I expected it to.
I am changing my WW class to a Monday morning so will be weighed after only 5 days this week so I should see if it is starting to work. I am not expecting to lose pounds and pounds as I have been "dieting" for well over a year now and have already lost over 5 stone. But anything that I can do to help the other 5 or 6 stone to come off has got to be good.

Went to WW last night and have put my 3.5 lbs back on!!! I supposed I allowed people to spoil me last week so it's back to porridge now. Unfortunately, once you start treating yourself it's difficult to get back on track again.

Hope everyone is surviving the cold weather.

Hello everyone, I am quite new to the drop but discovered this thread and I think it will be great to have some support from all you lovely slimmers in forum land. I am heavier than I have ever been, everything in my wardrobe is feeling tight and I just hate it. Need to lose about 4 stone so I took the plunge this evening and went to a Slimming World meeting. Got lots of reading and shopping for good foods to do tomorrow, but it seemed fairly straight forward (I hope!). Cutting right back on choccie and crisps/nuts is going to be my problem, but feeling quite motivated at the moment.

Funny i rejoined on thursday night again,I need to loose quite a bit, lost 2 stone, then stopped going, so after christmas, and my big birthday celebrations i've put it all nearly on again.
So now im determined to keep at it. Couldn't believe how busy it was, and it was 17.00 so i suppose a lot of people coming home from work. I've the new book to read through also
reflexgirl, so will do that today. So good luck everyone, i'm off to eat some fruit. Oh did anyone see the new mullerlight turkish delight voghurts, they are yummy and are free in SW

Well done everyone for not giving up in the new year.

I haven't been to WW for a few weeks and have probably gained a few pounds. My downfall is snacking and buying things without thinking when buying petrol, etc. But I'm only human, after all!

Latest posts

Back