21/09/20 - 27/09/20 Big Deals

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Maybe their thickness is their weakness. I have thick microfibre cloths that take a while to dry but a double layer would take twice as long. Plenty of time for bacteria to multiply. Though I'm back to wondering how they can say that microfibre cloths are anti-bac in that case.

I have a collection of cloths a hot wash for all of them no fabric conditioner and a good spin no problems

That's how I do it. My white cotton cloths that I use for cleaning loo/sinks/floor etc., get a soak in nappy sanitising liquid first. I probably don't need to do that but old habits die hard.

I've been shocked at how hard it's been to get my supermarket version of Milton since March. It's not really something you can stock up on as it loses effectiveness over time. I just wonder what people were doing before Covid.

I've always been careful as I could relapse if I get ill (plus I'm a card-carrying OCD germophobe). I had Noro years ago and was quite ill with it and never want that again. I looked into ways to prevent getting it again and discovered that it's very difficult to kill with alcohol - a quick squirt 'n' rub that I see many people doing as they come out of shops won't do it. Hence my discovery of electrolysed water brands, finally settling on Dew.

Sorry, I'm banging on again. I'd be very interested to hear if you could cure that particular cloth, Strato. It would be a last option for me before giving up and binning it, but you could try a bleach soak.

Last edited:
That's how I do it. My white cotton cloths that I use for cleaning loo/sinks/floor etc., get a soak in nappy sanitising liquid first. I probably don't need to do that but old habits die hard.

I've been shocked at how hard it's been to get my supermarket version of Milton since March. It's not really something you can stock up on as it loses effectiveness over time. I just wonder what people were doing before Covid.

I've always been careful as I could relapse if I get ill (plus I'm a card-carrying OCD germophobe). I had Noro years ago and was quite ill with it and never want that again. I looked into ways to prevent getting it again and discovered that it's very difficult to kill with alcohol - a quick squirt 'n' rub that I see many people doing as they come out of shops won't do it. Hence my discovery of electrolysed water brands, finally settling on Dew.

Sorry, I'm banging on again. I'd be very interested to hear if you could cure that particular cloth, Strato. It would be a last option for me before giving up and binning it, but you could try a bleach soak.

Too expensive to bin it (£5 each even as a special deal), so I dry it on the line (weather permitting) and there is absolutely no smell at all when it's dry. Otherwise I hang it up in the garage.

Re the smell, just found this on the QVC page - - - -

These cloths whilst absorbent take forever to dry. The only way I can dry them is to hang them outside on the line. I don’t have a tumble dryer and left to dry naturally, it takes so long they end up smelling nasty.

Re the smell, just found this on the QVC page - - - -

These cloths whilst absorbent take forever to dry. The only way I can dry them is to hang them outside on the line. I don’t have a tumble dryer and left to dry naturally, it takes so long they end up smelling nasty.

My heating isn't on yet and while I don't dry clothes on my radiators, I do dry tea towels and dishcloths, sponges, etc., on them between uses as drying them stops the bacteria getting out of control. Mine also get used with my beloved Dew so I'm happy they're clean for the day.

I also dry them before putting them in the laundry bin so they don't stink that out.

I feel your pain, though. Having a nice thick cloth is great but the downside is the drying time.

I use one just for drying the bath every day, and even after only one use (after a machine wash) it stinks when damp. The bath is almost clean, with no scum etc, and it has never happened with other microfibres cloths I've used for the bath.

The first time, I spent ages checking all the drains, putting bleach down the plug holes etc, until I realised it was coming from the cloth.

Now I have to take it outside because of the smell.

I wish QVC would let you amend a review, as my original one was good.

Try soaking in vinegar and water. I wash a lot of stuff with vinegar and water, have done for years. In a washing machine I use about 100ml for a full load. But 200 ml for something smelly.

Good for towels. Or gym t-shirts that have grown gym smell (sweat and damp). Even though I've done this 100s of times by now I'm always surprised laundry doesn't smell of vinegar. It's sort of "magic". But I've used vinegar to wipe down in the kitchen for over 20 years. I tend to use white vinegar but have used brown with white towels and never had problem with colour staining.

Latest posts

Back