29/11/21 - 05/12/21 Big Deals

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was dithering about it as it seemed expensive, but is actually cheaper than my local high street shop for a 6 way (although that had individual switches for each socket).

But I am actually using 9 sockets and having to use three 4-way extension leads for all the gadgets on my computer desk (I have 3 PC's and a laptop).

Says sold out again now, 5 minutes later.

We're sorry, this product is not available at this time. Use the search bar to find similar items.

I've been reading reviews of their 8 socket version, loads of bad reviews about it failing, both the whole thing and/or the USBs.

I went to the city centre today, the first time for well over a year, as I needed a calendar from Rymans.

I bought that, then went into another shop for an extension lead. They had an 8 way of the flat type, 2 blocks of 4 side by side, but no USBs. But it did have every socket with its own switch. About £26, but didn't buy it.

Then to Evans Cycles for a cycle jacket, but nothing suitable.

So that was 3 shops with a specific purpose in mind, then I saw a GADGET SHOP! Went in, but came straight back out again as I just couldn't be bothered to look around.

Oh, but I did have a delicious Chinese Sechuan curry beef, first time I've been there for over a year, as it shut for the duration of lockdown, then changed hands. But they still do their "special lunch menu". There were about 20 others there, and all looked Chinese, so that's a good recommendation for it. £6-80 BTW and very large.

Then it was straight for the bus, the whole journey just to get there and back takes about 2 hours, so I don't go very often.

I went to the city centre today, the first time for well over a year, as I needed a calendar from Rymans.

I bought that, then went into another shop for an extension lead. They had an 8 way of the flat type, 2 blocks of 4 side by side, but no USBs. But it did have every socket with its own switch. About £26, but didn't buy it.

Then to Evans Cycles for a cycle jacket, but nothing suitable.

So that was 3 shops with a specific purpose in mind, then I saw a GADGET SHOP! Went in, but came straight back out again as I just couldn't be bothered to look around.

Oh, but I did have a delicious Chinese Sechuan curry beef, first time I've been there for over a year, as it shut for the duration of lockdown, then changed hands. But they still do their "special lunch menu". There were about 20 others there, and all looked Chinese, so that's a good recommendation for it. £6-80 BTW and very large.

Then it was straight for the bus, the whole journey just to get there and back takes about 2 hours, so I don't go very often.
Glad you managed a lovely trip out with a delicious lunch.

Hope your new calendar is a 2022 version or you’ll be needing another trip soon. 😉

Most things on Amazon are cheaper than things on QVC and if you’re on Prime it’s next day delivery, free P&P and no hassle with refunds if something’s returned.

I’ve just clicked on the QVC link and it’s saying it’s unavailable again, so Amazon might be the best option.

Have you looked at amazon?

They’ve got two options of Safemore towers with 9 sockets and 6 usb..
Both in a nice navy blue (also got black option).

Have phone holders on both...

One is £30.95 but it has £3 voucher so it’s £28 free post..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08S3F9S3C/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

The other seems identical - it also has a phone holder on it?

£25.95

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08R9XZCDJ/?tag=shoppingcom03-21
I ordered the cheaper one, and got 5% off for some reason, so £24 something.

It was a nightmare at checkout, it automatically signed me to Prime and it took about 15 mins to cancel it.

It also wanted me to have an Amazon credit card, and I will get an Amazon £30 voucher, so the extension lead will cost nothing!!

I decided to apply for the card, another long-winded procedure, wanting to know everything about me.

I eventually ordered the item, managed to get the free PP as over £20, I COULD have paid with the new Amazon card (even though I won't have it for 10 days). But I paid with my existing card as I don't want or need a new one, and I don't intend to use it.

But overall I got the item I wanted, cheaper than Q, with free PP, and a £30 Amazon gift card to come.

So feeling pleased, and glad I didn't buy the one in the DHS.

I should have it by Saturday, so much faster then Q.

Thanks to you, and everyone else who helped. And thanks to QVC for demonstrating the item to me, otherwise I'd not have known about it.

PS I couldn't see any difference between the 2 items at Amazon, I had them both on the screen at the same time, so don't know why they were different prices for the same thing. I will be paying over £14 less than the current Q price (inc PP).

BTW the order has taken almost 1 1/2 hours with all the jiggery-pokery.

Last edited:
I ordered the cheaper one, and got 5% off for some reason, so £24 something.

It was a nightmare at checkout, it automatically signed me to Prime and it took about 15 mins to cancel it.

It also wanted me to have an Amazon credit card, and I will get an Amazon £30 voucher, so the extension lead will cost nothing!!

I decided to apply for the card, another long-winded procedure, wanting to know everything about me.

I eventually ordered the item, managed to get the free PP as over £20, I COULD have paid with the new Amazon card (even though I won't have it for 10 days). But I paid with my existing card as I don't want or need a new one, and I don't intend to use it.

But overall I got the item I wanted, cheaper than Q, with free PP, and a £30 Amazon gift card to come.

So feeling pleased, and glad I didn't buy the one in the DHS.

I should have it by Saturday, so much faster then Q.

Thanks to you, and everyone else who helped. And thanks to QVC for demonstrating the item to me, otherwise I'd not have known about it.

PS I couldn't see any difference between the 2 items at Amazon, I had them both on the screen at the same time, so don't know why they were different prices for the same thing. I will be paying over £14 less than the current Q price (inc PP).

BTW the order has taken almost 1 1/2 hours with all the jiggery-pokery.
Not sure whether to congratulate or commiserate! 😂

Am glad you got the product you wanted at a better price and hopefully faster than the Q!

But I’m sorry you somehow ended up with a credit card?!
Hope you did want that (sure you could’ve done Checkout without applying?!!) and it will be useful. But know you can usually cancel it within a set number of days?

I like amazon bc it’s fast and convenient - not an hour and a half checkout!
Fingers crossed it will be next time.

I often find amazon has what amount to be identical products on different listings - like you I could see no difference between the two items!

I am actually looking for a tower extension myself - but the thing I need is a really long cord (like 5M long!) although I don’t need as many sockets or USB sockets as you (maybe 6 plugs and 4 USBs would be enough)...

772A08EB-E510-4485-87B1-E6EA39DAB111.jpeg
Amazon is currently disallowing buyers from using Visa credit cards from January (Visa debit cards are fine)...

If a Visa CC is your default card, amazon is giving people £20 credit to change it - they should send you an email with a personalised link in it...

Anyway as a result Martin Moneysaving expert was recommending various substitute cards, and one of those is the Amazon platinum reward card.

Not sure if that’s the card you’ve applied for but details at the link below - think you get points for amazon spends?

Not that I’m encouraging anyone to get a credit card they don’t want or need!

Yes it was the card I got.

A lot of time was spent comparing the 2 items and trying to find a difference, as I would have spent more if the more expensive one was better, but I couldn't find any difference.

Then they signed me up for Prime without my consent. This has happened before, so I was very careful, but still got caught. Last time I couldn't find how to cancel it, and had to ring them. This time, it took 1/4 hour to find how to do it.

Then it showed it would cost NOTHING on the assumption I took out an Amazon Platinum card. So I looked at all the T & Cs to see whAT THE SNAGS MAY BE, BUT IT SEEMED ok, AND AS FAR AS i CAN SEE i WILL GET (CAPS LLOCK GRRRR) a £30 Amazon voucher.

I intend not to use it at all, but my existing one is a Visa, so I may have to. I suppose I have missed out on the £20 bribe that you mentioned.

My current credit card is all set up for them to take the full balance every month by direct debit, so I never pay any charges. When I buy more stuff from Amazon, I will use my debit card. Another thing I only just noticed in time that was they had changed the Amazon card to be my default, so I had to change that back as well. They are very sneaky.

And they also suggested a "bundle" of this Safemore plus a long extension lead it you need it longer, which may solve your problem.

Last edited:
TLL I see the post you put up says there is a £40 voucher for taking out an Amazon card, but it is not clear if this is for Prime members only. My offer was for £30 but I am not on Prime.
Yes I spotted that - I can’t remember but read the stuff about the card in the money saving email from last week when there was more detail about it...

I suspect you’re correct about the £40 being for Prime members...

I am on prime personally but I know it’s easy to come unstuck with it!

I found it easy NOT to get signed up before I wanted to (though they clearly “got you” the buggers!)

I think the issue is more often that once you have signed up - usually for the free trial (which is exactly what my brother did), it can be very difficult to cancel it...

Hope you manage(d) to get untangled! 🙏

Latest posts

Back