A couple of decent books

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
After the disappointment of the Richard Osmon book I’ve read 3 more and 2 I really enjoyed and the other was ok but I’ve forgotten it already.

Victoria Hislop’s Those who are Loved , which I think is her best since The Island, covering the life of a family in Athens from just before the Nazi occupation right up to the recent economic problems.

Sandi Toksvig Between the Stops which is about a regular bus route giving historical details of places interspersed with stories of her life and career . Most enjoyable.

Having watched the first series of His Dark Materials and now the second Mr L and I spend much of it saying “who is he?/what happened her?/where are they now?” I decided to start the books.
Only just started but enjoying it so far and I rarely read something I’ve watched or watch something I’ve read.

I was also disappointed with the Richard Osman book and how it became a best seller I don’t know. The Sandi Toksvig book sounds like one I will enjoy so will take a look at that later.

With STbook if you are familiar with London it would be even more interesting but as someone who has just been a few times and those just the main tourist bits, it didn’t detract from my enjoyment.

Sandi is a strong feminist and it reflected in the book.

I don't know whether to start the biography of Victoria Wood Let's Do It or Robert Webb's novel Come Again. My pre Christmas reading was the same three books that come out every December - Defrosting Edmund, Winter Solstice & my all time favourite book The Children Of Green Knowe.

I ought four books for Christmas reading. The Boy the mole the fox and the horse by Charlie Mackey, Santa Claus and the first Christmas Eve by Russell Ince, The lost spells by Robert Macfarlane and Jackie Morris and A Poem for Every Winter Day edited by Allie Esiri. I love them all and will be there to pick up and browse through any time. The illustrations in the first one and the third one are exceptional.

I ought four books for Christmas reading. The Boy the mole the fox and the horse by Charlie Mackey, Santa Claus and the first Christmas Eve by Russell Ince, The lost spells by Robert Macfarlane and Jackie Morris and A Poem for Every Winter Day edited by Allie Esiri. I love them all and will be there to pick up and browse through any time. The illustrations in the first one and the third one are exceptional.
Sublime books. I'm waiting for Russell Ince's book to be back in stock & totally agree with you about the illustrations. I have recommended The Boy... to many people & I dip into my copy regularly.

For those who enjoy Sandi Toksvig she has a new show on Channel 4 about weekends in unusual accommodation with a companion.

Last one was Alison Steadman and the accommodation were all unusual conversations, absolutely gorgeous.

One of the episodes is with Pru Leith.

A change from the usual tripe.

Latest posts

Back