A little instruction pretty please...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

PennyPitStop

Registered Shopper
Can I edit a post to correct spelling errors and this naughty phone correcting what I've typed with what it thinks I want to say?

If I can where? How?

I have looked. And you will see I have added a little photo today.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but wasn't sure where to put this either. And please no suggestions for that. I'm not one that is usually about at this time of day so my body is in shock.

My phone has a tendency to do that and you have to keep an eye open for that 'cause once message has been sent, it's been sent. I find with my phone, that you'll type something in and if it's not in the database it'll correct it to what it thinks you want to say, but if you type in the word you want again it'll take it and add it do the database. If you've not noticed and it's gone on here in all it's misspelled glory, you've got 15 mins to edit it..but again it depends upon how your phone works with this sort of thing.

This auto correcting can be annoying, sometimes you have to put in several times the word you actually want before it lets you get away with it.

This auto correcting can be annoying, sometimes you have to put in several times the word you actually want before it lets you get away with it.

I learnt to type 40 years ago on a manual typewriter. It was a fill in your timetable subject in the sixth form. I consider it the best subject I learnt. It also taught me punctuation, letter layout, report layout, etc. Having been a programmer it has helped and hindered the typing skills. They've helped and hindered each other for decades. I can copy type, I can even copy type in one language and listen to radio/tv/music in another language but flipping heck auto correct sometimes I just don't get it. It changed something this week from something to the crude word for anus and I've never typed that word in that way in my life.

Some errors I can trap but I'm sure there is a naughty pixie between my [Post Reply] button and the forum.

I turn off autocorrect on every phone I have owned. For some reason, one of my phones refused to let me type what yes just a simple what kept replacing with a totally different word and meaning to what I was typing.

I too learnt to type and did my RSA and then went on to do the computer versions too. I do a fabulous chart, I did auto typing as well. So typing on phones p*sses off.

Can I edit a post to correct spelling errors and this naughty phone correcting what I've typed with what it thinks I want to say?

If I can where? How?

I have looked. And you will see I have added a little photo today.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but wasn't sure where to put this either. And please no suggestions for that. I'm not one that is usually about at this time of day so my body is in shock.
You can edit posts on this forum for about 10 minutes after posting, after that you can't.

I think this is to stop you altering the meaning of a post, then getting replies to a post that no longer says the same.

When you use an iPhone, if you type a word you want to use that it doesn’t recognise then tap the far left box were you see the word, then you can use it.

Word to the wise, not longer after I got my first iPhone, me and the husband had just arrived at a family wedding, I messaged ahead to ask the mother in law does she want us to get her a vodka and cock in..........of course it was meant to say coke. 🤔

I turn off autocorrect on every phone I have owned. For some reason, one of my phones refused to let me type what yes just a simple what kept replacing with a totally different word and meaning to what I was typing.

I too learnt to type and did my RSA and then went on to do the computer versions too. I do a fabulous chart, I did auto typing as well. So typing on phones p*sses off.

RSA is one of the boards I've done exams for. Typing with both hands not looking is so much easier than looking at the phone and using a finger, or two thumbs.

When you use an iPhone, if you type a word you want to use that it doesn’t recognise then tap the far left box were you see the word, then you can use it.

Word to the wise, not longer after I got my first iPhone, me and the husband had just arrived at a family wedding, I messaged ahead to ask the mother in law does she want us to get her a vodka and cock in..........of course it was meant to say coke. 🤔

Thank you.. I can add words but I can't stop auto correct changing words from eg wink to w#nk <<<<< where # is the vowel on the middle line. I know that is not my error - that is Auto Screw It Up. I watch the phone changing words. Some are understandable, some are just outrageous. Thing is I have a bit of word "confusion" when I'm tired so can't always spot mistakes.

There are some posts and some people on this forum..... You are just so funny and when feeling down you make me smile. Thank you.

Thank yoooooooo.

Penny did you start with an Imperial manual typewriter that had a cover over your hands ? we all learnt with the 2 keys in the middle that had raised dots so you could 'feel' where to place your fingers. Like you it was the best lesson I learned in life. I can type with my eyes shut, and often did at work as I did audio typing - starting off in a typing pool (oh remember those !) back in the 60's. I might be 72 but I can still bat out a page of typing at just under 100 wpm. I went from manual to electric with golfball, to wordprocessor and finally computer. BUT I use the phone keyboard using just one finger, hey ho.

Penny did you start with an Imperial manual typewriter that had a cover over your hands ? we all learnt with the 2 keys in the middle that had raised dots so you could 'feel' where to place your fingers. Like you it was the best lesson I learned in life. I can type with my eyes shut, and often did at work as I did audio typing - starting off in a typing pool (oh remember those !) back in the 60's. I might be 72 but I can still bat out a page of typing at just under 100 wpm. I went from manual to electric with golfball, to wordprocessor and finally computer. BUT I use the phone keyboard using just one finger, hey ho.
Yes yes yes. Remember the record played which ended with “carriage return”. Some had a hard time keeping up - I loved it! I remember at work getting the golf ball (Olivetti?) and the boss’s secretary had different ones which was the antique way of changing font!
My late father was a 2 fingered typist but boy he would go like the clappers even well into his 80’s on an electric typewriter when he didn’t use his computer .
I had a boss who dictated whilst you typed looking over your shoulder which I still use to this day but is much easier with Word as you can fix it up later whereas then the spacing (and spelling) had to be spot on as he had already gone on to the next paragraph.

Yes that’s the same as on my Samsung Galaxy.

Another trained touch-typist here. The painful slog of typing drills on a manual typewriter are but a distant memory, but the skills those drills have given me have paid dividends. My favourite is that I can unnerve colleagues by looking at them, talking to them, and simultaneously be typing something different :D

I only got to RSA level 2, but I got a higher level of words per minute than many of my fellow students because I was more accurate (they used to deduct for errors and overtyping).

Hands-down it has been the most useful skill I learned. However I never ever made any use of the pitman shorthand skills outside of the classroom. I was better at reading back than transcribing as my brain got in the way (and perfectionism)... My mum used to pretend to write shorthand and rely on her memory in her secretarying days... I don't think I could bluff like my mum.

This is becoming more home. So let's throw a curve ball....

How many spaces after a full stop?

I know the typing rule and the newspaper compositor rule.
Two.

I did Brissles. My OH is always amazed at how I manage to type without looking at the keyboard, and talk to him at the same time. I think being able to type is marvellous.

I achieved RSA 3 in typing, and RSA 110 words a minute in shorthand. I was a shorthand typist, and then a personal assistant in a very large retail company. Had some great bosses, and some not so great, and still wish that one old boss in particular comes to a sticky painful end. Thankfully, I am now retired.

Latest posts

Back