A sinking ship

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

bingowings

Registered Shopper
I barely watch shopping channels these days. Not since BID UP disappeared. But have flicked over to IW a few times recently. Mainly through boredom but also because a friend told me the state the channels are in and I wanted to see for myself how bad things are - I didn't have to watch for long to see the desperation in the eyes of the staff. They really smack of a channel on it's last legs.
From what I hear from someone who until recently was high up in the buying department (but like a great number of others got out while they could) IW are in dire trouble with their suppliers and losing a great deal of money. I think it's really sad to see another of these channels heading in a downward spiral. It seems to me like shopping tv as a whole is on it's last legs. The jewellery channel now sells bags and scarfs to make ends meet, Gems TV are flogging. BID TV products via some charity scam to cover the short falls of their jewellery business and QVC have barely turned a profit in years too.

Hmm, I do doubt your opinion of QVC's trade to be honest. In a recent survey QVC came out as the 2nd most trusted brand in the UK, that's above like everyone you can think of (bar one) higher than Bernard Matthews, Virgin, BHS, Iceland, etc etc. Of course you could be completely right and me wrong, so I apologise in advance (I'm a woman, I'm always wrong :p)

I can see why Ideal are in dire trouble as they literally have like 12 products, so repeat watching and therefore repeat buying is going to be rare as rocking horse poo. Peter Simon is the only thing worth watching Ideal for nowadays, just to see how completely obtuse and off the wall, scandolouos and rude he is going to be, to make me laugh :) I do quite like the other desperate presenters too, in the way of watching them stumble over themselves; Genevive today was saying repeatedly how a multi-gym which was at least 6 and a half foot tall and about 6 foot wide was "compact and small"....... I guess working on the assumption if she repeats it enough we'll believe it. Compact and small is a fold up raincoat.......

I flick on every now and again. Genevive Is absolutely dreadful. All shouty and in your face. As soon as I see her I switch off. Can't be doing with shouty presenters. Makes for, dull viewing.

I shopped at Ideal world once. I got phoned up shortly after and invited to join their club. You've got nothing to lose and all these free gifts just for trying so I agreed. When the pack arrived I thought can't be bothered to read all this my mother was dying at the time. I also saw that any of the freebies worth having were only valid if you continue with it after the trial. I was also furious to read I had to send the pack back at my own expense to cancel when I had been told I just had to phone when I agreed to try it.

When I complained they gave me a free post address but I was never refunded to add insult to injury I was also charged a further amount for some restaurant card which I had certainly not agreed to. I sent emails complaining but got no reply. So I never shopped at Ideal World a second time and switched over to QVC and have spend several thousand pounds there instead. LOL

Thinking about it they won't take payment again will they as I never got any confirmation that it is closed? I guess I need to work out how to check it's cancelled. Unfortunately with the problems I've had this year I have been burying my head in the sand. But as I'm already around £100 down I don't want to lose anymore.

Last edited:
They made nearly £30 million last year - not sure where you have been getting your information from?

Bid TV claimed to have made £2m profit the year before the went under with debts of £73 million - it's amazing what a creative accountant can do.

Last edited:
I know we've rarely agreed on anything, but I think you're right - Shopping channels are definitely on the way out. IW is terrible and that is the main reason I started watching BID etc and for all their faults they were an "entertaining watch". The product range, whilst largely crap was varied. IW seem to show about 10 different items (and that's being generous) on a loop which a mainly big bulky items that either you don't need or want, or you've already got. I think there'll come a time when only QVC is left standing. QVC to me is no more than an expensive way of shopping at Debenhams, House of Fraser, John Lewis etc and I get discount in John Lewis, so it's not really worth it for me. Was hoping that a brand new bid type channel would rise from the ashes, with transparent selling techniques and better p&p deals...oh well!

I know we've rarely agreed on anything, but I think you're right - Shopping channels are definitely on the way out. IW is terrible and that is the main reason I started watching BID etc and for all their faults they were an "entertaining watch". The product range, whilst largely crap was varied. IW seem to show about 10 different items (and that's being generous) on a loop which a mainly big bulky items that either you don't need or want, or you've already got. I think there'll come a time when only QVC is left standing. QVC to me is no more than an expensive way of shopping at Debenhams, House of Fraser, John Lewis etc and I get discount in John Lewis, so it's not really worth it for me. Was hoping that a brand new bid type channel would rise from the ashes, with transparent selling techniques and better p&p deals...oh well!

I had my fingers crossed that a new bid would pop up too. Alas I feel that unless the likes of TK Max or Robert Dyer set up a channel it would be impossible for anyone to compete with the online market . And more and more of the shopping TV audience are finally coming round to online shopping. Shopping TV is not a place for a bargain anymore. They can only really survive by flogging us massive margin items (like IW) as they just don't have the audience. IW have clearly had a few desperate rolls of the dice. Bringing in bid tv presenters, products and techniques. But they forgot the main ingredient which was fun and entertainment.
I really think bid TV going has had a knock on effect for this channel. I bet bid had an audience of channel flickers who watched and bought from other channels.as crazy as it sounds. I think bid TV helped keep shopping tv afloat by keeping it interesting. Now it's all as dull as Hull !

I had my fingers crossed that a new bid would pop up too. Alas I feel that unless the likes of TK Max or Robert Dyer set up a channel it would be impossible for anyone to compete with the online market . And more and more of the shopping TV audience are finally coming round to online shopping. Shopping TV is not a place for a bargain anymore. They can only really survive by flogging us massive margin items (like IW) as they just don't have the audience. IW have clearly had a few desperate rolls of the dice. Bringing in bid tv presenters, products and techniques. But they forgot the main ingredient which was fun and entertainment.
I really think bid TV going has had a knock on effect for this channel. I bet bid had an audience of channel flickers who watched and bought from other channels.as crazy as it sounds. I think bid TV helped keep shopping tv afloat by keeping it interesting. Now it's all as dull as Hull !

Amen to that! I spent a fortnight there one afternoon, - and - IT WAS SHUT (Yes,:mysmilie_59: I did mean shut!)

They made nearly £30 million last year - not sure where you have been getting your information from?

I would genuinely like to see proof of this...........as we could all just say blah blah blah with no proof whatsoever, Also IF ........ and that's a huge if they did make that in sales that doesn't necessarily mean they made a profit does it? We need all the figures before we can say if the £30 Million was good bad or indifferent.

I am surprised they have last this long. I initially thought they may be competition for QVC, but failed on that score in the first year.

Was flicking channels in the early hours and came across Dirty Peter Simon in a pair of shorts on some sort of vibrator. Stomach churning to say the least.

..... so the infamous PS is now with IW on a vibrator? Gosh hes just like a gypsy in a caravan, he just keeps on getting moved on. Where could he possibly go next if IW pull the plug on him? Babestation?

It seems to me that where ever peter simon goes, death and destruction will follow. (my opinion... opinion I make clear)

..... so the infamous PS is now with IW on a vibrator? Gosh hes just like a gypsy in a caravan, he just keeps on getting moved on. Where could he possibly go next if IW pull the plug on him? Babestation?

In stripper heels and a leather basque, frantically waving the phone at the camera whilst licking his fingers suggestively? Maybe "Bet' will be in the background...

Ideal World seems to have been on it's last legs for some time and the main problem seems to be the sheer lack of products they have to sell. I swear I see the Vibrapower being sold every day (although on checking their website it's not being sold today, although it's on twice tomorrow to make up for it!), then there is the Karcher, Janice and her no brand smartphones and tablets, Moira C, Ceramic pans, Bissell cleaners etc.

There aren't even any presenters that I enjoy watching on the channel any more. I used to like Genevieve when she started but now find her unbearable with all the OTT hyperbole, shouting and phony laughing. Never cared for Hayley or Loen and the ex-Bid relics of Mikey boy and Dirty Peter certainly haven't helped things.

Ideal World seems to have been on it's last legs for some time and the main problem seems to be the sheer lack of products they have to sell. I swear I see the Vibrapower being sold every day (although on checking their website it's not being sold today, although it's on twice tomorrow to make up for it!), then there is the Karcher, Janice and her no brand smartphones and tablets, Moira C, Ceramic pans, Bissell cleaners etc.

There aren't even any presenters that I enjoy watching on the channel any more. I used to like Genevieve when she started but now find her unbearable with all the OTT hyperbole, shouting and phony laughing. Never cared for Hayley or Loen and the ex-Bid relics of Mikey boy and Dirty Peter certainly haven't helped things.

The reason they have so few products is pretty simple and also pretty stupid. They insist on making a 50% margin on everything they sell. A rather restricting policy to say the least. There's very few (As you've noticed) products that allow for that sort of margin- Add to that their payment terms of around 90 days and more caveats than you could imagine and you start to realise why brands won't/can't sell via IW.

Common sense would suggest they reduce their margin to be more competitive, but their reduced audience means they have to make big money on their limited sales.

The final nail in their coffin is that they made the mistake of hiring a number of the buyers from BID TV. And as you have probably noticed not the good ones !

I have read on here similar :( an ex Ideal supplier who stated their terms were simply un-livable-with and that working with Ideal was an absolute nightmare.

Latest posts

Back