A3 diamonds

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Diamond Diva

Registered Shopper
I have a diamond cluster ring in my basket but didn't catch what quality the diamonds were so before checking it out I wanted to know what grade they were, their their website wasn't any help so I rang CS and spoke to a very nice young man who said they were A3. I know they have their own unique grading system so I asked him what colour they were, he said G-H but except for A3 was unable to give the clarity. Does anyone know what this equates to or bought this grade and can advise what quality they are and if they're worth buying?

Thanks

This thread should help: http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?27150-Poor-Quality-Diamonds

Look at the attached thumbnail that Sacha provided.

From experience (and this may vary from piece to piece) A3 equates to I1 and I2 clarity diamonds and a warmish colour (some look cloudy and grey a well). They don't tend to be great quality unfortunately. Having said that, every now and again, I've had a piece where the melee diamonds have been ok.

A3 Melee Diamonds

Hi DD

I've just fished out an older copy of Scoop mag where they published details of these accent diamonds.

It says.....'A3 - Beautiful accent Diamonds offering possibly the best value for a very nice look. We often will use these in high end 9k pieces and our 18k jewellery. Typically these would grade as an I1 or I2.'

Their A2 grade would be typically SI or above.....it also says.

I know the presenters call them "ice white", Alan on GemsXtra says that a lot! But not having bought any of their cluster rings, how they are in real life, I couldn't say, sorry.

I did hear once, don't know how true this still is, but they grade these melee Diamonds according to how much they pay for a bundle. Which likely means there can be rather varying qualities in there! But if it's a design you love and the price is right, best to get it home and see how it performs in the sunshine.

Oops I see that Meesh has already replied, apologies if this duplicates a bit. :blush:

If you are on Facebook you could always try logging your question with the Gems TV Helpers (http://www.facebook.com/Gems.TV.Helpers). Only active Monday to Friday - It seems to be pretty good page, maybe because they put their more experience staff on here.

From my experience when they give a diamond grading that's the minimum quality that you can expect - so sometimes (but not often) A3 diamonds are very very good. It depends on the ring, the setting etc but generally I tend to get them replaced with better quality diamonds.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, thank you so much for your input I knew someone would know the answer!

I haven't bought much from GEMS and the pieces I've had have had very small accent diamonds of dubious quality but so small that it didn't really matter, as they're G to H I was hoping they'd be SI quality, but I've decided to go for it and if they aren't good enough I'll just send it back, thanks again

DD

The best diamonds I've found are in TJC Iliana range. The range in the NY Collection are okay too, but can see some inclusions using a loupe.
Side by side though, the clarity in Iliana is noticeable in sparkle.

Tvs

The best diamonds I've found are in TJC Iliana range. The range in the NY Collection are okay too, but can see some inclusions using a loupe.
Side by side though, the clarity in Iliana is noticeable in sparkle.

Tvs

I totally agree TVS. TJC's Iliana diamonds are really good quality and their New York pieces that are G-H grade with I1 clarity come a close second so when you've had that quality it spoils you for lesser grades which was why I was apprehensive about the clarity of the GEMS A3. I've ordered it with an open mind so will decide when it arrives whether to keep it or not, if they're not up to scratch I'll send it back.

As Meshoo said, every now and again you can be lucky. I bought a band ring from Gems with two rows of tiny diamonds about three years ago. The diamonds are lovely and I'm happy to wear it with Iliana. It also weighs 7gms of white gold and cost £110 - those were the days!

I saw a star buy yesterday with Angeline presenting, it was a 9k YG one carat round cluster diamond ring, a very classic design with a good gold weight. I recall Angeline saying that if she was buying a diamond ring, this is what she would buy. It was rather nice as the stones gleamed and glittered and were a lovely white. It sold for £479, I think, and quite quickly at that, considering many other 1 carat clusters sell for considerably less. However this is the type of design that would also look good with any single coloured gemstone...imho.

It must have sold out as I can't find it on the website. Tch!

I bought it on Saturday, they didn't sell them all so what you saw could be what they had left, I can't post a link but it's item UTKS30 although its currently not available if you put the number in the search field it still shows the details complete with video

Latest posts

Back