Absolute rip-off!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Tarketta

Registered Shopper
Incl P&P, £63 for 12 cans of beer and 12 tiny bags of pork scratchings?!?!?! Are my eyes deceiving me, surely no one is mug enough to spend so much money on so little :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Each of those 18g bags is £0.75 direct and each of the 330ml cans of beer is £2.25 direct, making a grand total of £36!!!! Actually, buying the advent calendar direct would cost you £65 - how can they justify the vastly inflated price?!?!?

That's unbelievable! In more ways than one. It's amazing what products get bunged into advent calendars these days. I used to be happy to reveal a little picture, and I thought putting bits of chocolate behind the doors was a step too far - but at least they still cost about 99p! Some of the beauty product ones are quite good, 'cause despite being quite pricey, you get some full sizes within and they represent quite a saving and you get to try stuff. Minature gins, scented votives....yeah I get it...Cans of beer and bags of pork scratchings - I totally don't. This is worth about £20 - £24 at the absolute most. Can't think who in their right mind would buy such a thing at such a ludicrous price - obviously somebody who's got money to burn. If it's bought for someone as a gift £60 is main present sort of money and buy it for yourself...well you just wouldn't would you? You'd stock up on beer and scratchings from the supermarket. If that gets featured on FB...I can't even see the die hards sticking up for that!

18 x 440ml Carling £12 at Morrys and even if pork scratchings were £2 for 4 it only comes to £18. And you get 6 more tins and more lager in your tin. QVC should be ashamed at selling this at that price. They must think us all very gullible. Ok so it is "different" lager, but wouldn't be welcome in our house. How much are novelty tins of lager anyway? Surely not a fiver each.

I've had the Decleor one and to be honest most of the items were tiny and I gave them away. I once had a wine advent and there was a mini wine bottle in every day. To be fair a lot of them were 250ml bottles, not 187ml and the Christmas Day surprise was a little bottle of prosecco so at a cost of about £60 it was reasonable value - if a tad frivolous!

CC

I think there will be many who will find it difficult to keep body & soul together by the end of November let alone consider buying something so unnecessary that isn't even a gift. Our advent calendar is a school nativity play with a different character to slot into the stage set every day & a book full of couplets about each one, my favourite is for 3rd December: 'This angel really is a fidget. Be careful with those wings now Bridget'. When the girls were little they'd read them out on alternative days & bizarrely both of them always wanted to be given the even dates. I now read them because neither my Mr T nor the cat are interested & I love the little play as much as I did nearly 25 years ago when I bought it from Studio Cards 🎄

When I was a kid we had cardboard advent calendars but we had one posh one that folded out into a stable with all the nativity and pop up donkeys and the like. I loved it so much I still kept it when it was held together with sellotape and all the doors had fallen off. You can keep your chocolate advents, give me pop up shepherds every time ;)

CC

The beauty advent calendars are even more costly. Who in their right minds - no offence - pays £100+ for an advert calendar and many are £200+. I liked the M&S one but someone here said there wasn’t gong to one this year 😔

Some of the beauty ones are RIDICULOUS but some, as merryone says, are worthwhile, especially if you see a full list of contents beforehand and can work out the value to you. The worst one I saw last year was the Lush one: £195 for a selection of bath bombs and other little bath products. It sold out in no time and they were on eBay for nearer £300! It’s got a whopping £10 off this year, I see.

I’ll miss the M&S one if that’s true but secretly a bit relieved because I really don’t need all the extra stuff.

My brother in law is partial to beer (but not pork scratchings) and I always find him one those gift packs with a few bottles of beer with a ‘theme’. Last year I bought him a Christmas version (plum pudding brown ale, Christmas Eve Warmer, Santa’s Tipple etc). Other years I’ve got a box of Belgian blonds, or an Adnams Special. Usually £15 of so and they make a nice gift for a grumpy 64 year old man who has everything !

When I was a kid we had cardboard advent calendars but we had one posh one that folded out into a stable with all the nativity and pop up donkeys and the like. I loved it so much I still kept it when it was held together with sellotape and all the doors had fallen off. You can keep your chocolate advents, give me pop up shepherds every time ;)

CC
That's lovely & the wink adds the CC touch - I can hear your shepherds asking if you've seen their crooks 🤭

I watched about 2 minutes of the presentation last night before AP got to me. He was banging on about the weight and using it as some sort of gym equipment for his arms (of course Mr Muscle Bound) as I thought he said it weighed 5kg. I didn’t realise that it had cans of beer in it, thought it was 5kg of pork scratchings!!! I didn’t stop to work out how many bags that would require, lol.

(as mentioned on another thread) I bought xmas 'stuff' in the House of Fraser sale in January. Reduced from £38 down to £12 were beautiful wooden Advent calendar Christmas Trees (3D) with the odd little green tree and santa clause, BUT as you turned the tree around there were 24 little doors to put your own 'bits' in. I bought 3 - one for each great nephew, as something that could be brought out year after year and filled with own choice.

Latest posts

Back