Acer 7" Tablet TSV 23/03/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Tablet TSV

Ideal's World Pick of the Day is a tablet. Apparently it sold out early, so they're flogging a different model now.

Coincidently, QVC's TSV is a table. This one: http://www.qvcuk.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=503498&storeId=10252&cm_re=LN-_-TODAYSFEATURES-_-ITEMONAIR&langId=-2&sc=IOA&catalogId=10152&UDC=ONAIR&ddkey=http:OnAirProductDisplay.

I saw some reviews of it a while ago and it's quite good value, but has a bit of a cheap plastic feel.

It's £99.99 from QVC and the same princ at PC World. But QVC charge £8.95 for P&P, whereas it's free on the one from PC World. So not quite a good deal.

But it's on 4 Easy Pay from QVC. Four payments of £0.00. I think QVC have got that wrong! :happy:

Acer Iconia tablet.jpg

I don't really understand everything this does, but would it be a good addition to my 4 year old first laptop, which happens to be Acer?

It seems a pretty good price, and I'd only want it for basics, not interested in downloading music etc. - any good advice please?

I would say its not a bad tablet but the memory is a bit low at 512mb. My wonderful Nexus 7 which cost £159 has 1gb of memory. Also the storage at 8gb - the lesser priced one - is a bit small so would be better to take the 16gb. Personally I'd pay the extra for the Nexus.
The big advantage of the tablets is that they boot really fast - about 30 secs to switch on. I like the size when sitting on the sofa.
I play various apps such as words with friends (scrabble) and wee bridge (bridge that can be played solo or online). Rest of the time I use the tablet to read and send emails, qvc shopping, internet browsing, facebook

My dad likes my iPad but he wouldn't justify the money for one so this would probably be ok for him. But 9 quid P&P? Ouch.

Lee has talked me into it! - 16GB

I don't think the memory will a problem for me personally, I'm unlikely to download anything other than books. Am thinking for the price it would be a good introduction to the newer technology I'm not familiar with. Something to practice on for £30, and be able to send it back if I don't like it.

I'm already panicking about how I link it to my wi-fi, I may have to talk to "TMTI lol! :sweat:

I don't think the memory will a problem for me personally, I'm unlikely to download anything other than books. Am thinking for the price it would be a good introduction to the newer technology I'm not familiar with. Something to practice on for £30, and be able to send it back if I don't like it.

I'm already panicking about how I link it to my wi-fi, I may have to talk to "TMTI lol! :sweat:

Don't panic - I'm not techie at all but have managed to do this a few times now... it's normally just finding the wi-fi connection bit in the menu and putting in your password... and it'll do the rest.

Hope you enjoy your new toy.

Don't panic - I'm not techie at all but have managed to do this a few times now... it's normally just finding the wi-fi connection bit in the menu and putting in your password... and it'll do the rest.

Hope you enjoy your new toy.

Ummmn.....:mysmilie_506:

(I know you're right - it's just brain panic till it arrives!)

You just need to know your wireless network name (ie recognise it in the list of available networks) and its password. Often the network name and p/w are on the bottom of the wireless router unless you have changed either the name or the p/w.

My Nexus 7 Android tablet only has 16GBytes of storage. I have quite lot of apps, audio and pictures on it, but I've only used about 5GBytes. Things can be easily removed when they're no longer wanted or needed. I could probably have saved £40, or so, and scraped by with the 8GByte version.

I've read books on my tablet, but I found it a little on the heavy side; I have a Kindle Paperwhite for that now. Kindle books can be swapped between the two devices. I also use my tablet as a radio, alarm clock, newspaper and for email, surfing the WWW and playing games. And other things too, probably.

The price of the Acer isn't too special, especially when you take the postage in to account. QVC usually add value when they can be beaten on price. I'm surprised they don't at least supply a 'sock' with it. I bought one for my 7" tablet for only £2.95 (including P&P) from eBay.

Thanks MJ, I think it will suit me very well from your comments.

I'm sure I could have done better elsewhere but being able to try it out for 30 days without paying the full price suited me this time. I'll certainly look on ebay for a "sock"

I've got a tablet and a Kindle... I can't use the tablet to read books as I find the screen is too reflective and it gives me a headache whereas the Kindle has a matt screen to minimise reflections.

Just a thought if anyone is buying it primarily as a e-reader.

p.s. came back to say that Poundland have some great slip-in neoprene cases at the moment... for a £1 :happy:... I've got my ipad mini in a case anyway but use one of these slip in covers to keep it extra safe when on the move.

Last edited:
I have my Nexus in one those gel frames to protect it and then if I put it in my handbag I put it in a neoprene sock.
I have the Kindle software on it but you can't read outdoors so I also have a kindle.
I also use the Nexus to watch movies on holiday. I have a 16gb stick and I bought a dongle think off Amazon that connects into the mini USB socket. Bought some software called Catalyst that converts the movies to the correct form for the Nexus. TAlso need an app from play store to watch the movies cost £1.65

Latest posts

Back