Acronyms

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mina

Registered Shopper
A polite request from me for everyone. Please would you refrain from using acronyms or initials in threads unless it's something like IW (okay, so Ideal World is a brand name but you get the drift) or something which has already been mentioned earlier in the thread with the explanation next to it or one used on the net eg VGC (very good condition) ROFLMAO (rolling on floor laughing my arse off) or FFS (ok, not everyone's choice of words but it's still pretty common) that you can look up elsewhere. In one or two threads recently I've been left mystified about who or what the discussion is about.

A polite request from me for everyone. Please would you refrain from using acronyms or initials in threads unless it's something like IW (okay, so Ideal World is a brand name but you get the drift) or something which has already been mentioned earlier in the thread with the explanation next to it or one used on the net eg VGC (very good condition) ROFLMAO (rolling on floor laughing my arse off) or FFS (ok, not everyone's choice of words but it's still pretty common) that you can look up elsewhere. In one or two threads recently I've been left mystified about who or what the discussion is about.
If you are unsure what an acronym is just ask, easier for people to ask than everyone having to remember not to use them.

If you are unsure what an acronym is just ask, easier for people to ask than everyone having to remember not to use them.
I'm not asking people not to use them, just to set out initially what they mean, unless as I said, you can easily google them. Not everyone wants to show how out of touch they are by asking something that everyone else seems to know.

Good job you don't work for any local Council Mina because you would be totally lost (as I was). Everyone talks Acronyms in meetings and you haven't the first clue what anyone's on about. If you ask . . . . wow, taxi for CC :LOL::LOL:

CC

Good job you don't work for any local Council Mina because you would be totally lost (as I was). Everyone talks Acronyms in meetings and you haven't the first clue what anyone's on about. If you ask . . . . wow, taxi for CC :LOL::LOL:

CC
I started working for a french company that liked to mix it's acronyms up. Some french, some english and some a mixture. For my own sanity I started a glossary.
On here I either ask or google... and mainly avoid them, though I'm far from squeaky clean on that!

I call it text talk and I don’t even bother trying to decipher it I just move on to another comment. Obviously it’s not just on this forum it’s everywhere.
Same here. I get the general meaning then move on to another comment. Can’t be bothered to look things up. I don’t do text talk even when I’m texting. My kids can laugh at me for using proper sentences.

The torch forum is full of acronyms. If you ask, sometimes you get the real answer, sometimes people say what they think it means (and are often wrong) and other times people are sarcastic because they think you should know.

Here is the first one I asked about - - ODG - - - Olive drab green.

And some others I didn't know when I was new:

BNIB - - - brand new in box
EDC - - - every day carry
EOS - - - many people thought it meant end operated switch but it turned out to not mean anything! :)

My job entailed the use of a lot of acronyms but I got to grip with those quite easily. My own job title was a mouthful (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) and so SENCo was far easier to say.

I’m now on the committee for my local surgery’s PPG panel (Patient Participation Group) and those meetings are full of medical acronyms. I knew some of them but, thankfully, someone asked what they all meant and so we’ve been given a list of them all and what they stand for.

I’m alright when text speak is used, although I only use “lol” myself, but with some of it I do have to turn to Google for a translation. 😳

Latest posts

Back