Afghanite

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I flicked on during the looong talk about the Kashmir aquamarine as I was quite interested in a new location for aquamarine but then saw it was fissure filled and turned off again!

I flicked on during the looong talk about the Kashmir aquamarine as I was quite interested in a new location for aquamarine but then saw it was fissure filled and turned off again!
This all supports my theory that Gemporia has given up trying to flog jewellery to long term viewers who might have learned how to spot good gems (except for the poor sods who think that the presenters are their mates, and that the company is absolutely selling jewellery worth thousands of pounds for peanuts. Because Gemporia is obviously staffed by modern-day saints), and is now firmly targeting ignorant new viewers, and the vulnerable.

Afghanite is a rare stone and actually really nice when you get a good, gem quality stone. It fluoresces pink under UV light too.

However, these that Gemporia are selling are lower-quality, opaque stones.

It was embarrassing watching Gem Collector a few days ago because Emily was trying to demonstrate the UV fluorescence in a box set - but in the box of 8 or 9 stones that she was selling, only 2 actually had UV fluorescence.

As for the Afghan Aquamarine. Fissure-filled low grade stuff that, yet again, is being hyped up by Dave as being high grade, legacy collection stuff.

Agree. Beautiful navy to royal blue examples with good clarity. Brighthunter is right - the examples on Gems TV are similar to lapis lazuli but not as nice (if you're careful and check if the piece being sold is dyed or not!).

This all supports my theory that Gemporia has given up trying to flog jewellery to long term viewers who might have learned how to spot good gems (except for the poor sods who think that the presenters are their mates, and that the company is absolutely selling jewellery worth thousands of pounds for peanuts. Because Gemporia is obviously staffed by modern-day saints), and is now firmly targeting ignorant new viewers, and the vulnerable.
Maybe you've hit the nail on the head with your first comment. I'm gradually realising that my "go to" pieces don't tend be from Gems. Either you or others have said this a few times now - think first and spend a little more and you might be happier with fewer, higher quality items that will stand the test of time. Just have to be old-fashioned and save up first (I have to, anyway):

I admit to quite liking some of the Cavill pieces that aren't just "cast a basket & band and plonk in the gem" designs but far too rich in price for me. Attached are images from sites run by few of my favourites (yes, I did buy a Tara Coomber ring from Gems 😀):

1. Tara Coomber - have two rings
2. William White (on Etsy) - saving up!!
3. Anthony Tindall - have two rings

And the last one is a vintage eBay buy. Yes, I think the "stone" is actually glass but the silver design is edgy and unusual. That overruled any "only natural" prejudices I have had...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-20-07-10-05-727.jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-05-20-07-10-05-727.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 57
  • isbl_1680x420.30333899_1e7xu3ha.jpg
    isbl_1680x420.30333899_1e7xu3ha.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_2023-05-20-07-23-19-823.jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-05-20-07-23-19-823.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 55
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Astonishing prices for this blue stone today and I'm not too sure what the difference between this and lapis lazuli is. I'm sure David is telling us, but his voice has become like the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoons to me nowadays
I thought it was lapis lazuli and Dave was spinning another story switched over. This company now is really scraping the bottom.

I thought it was lapis lazuli and Dave was spinning another story switched over. This company now is really scraping the bottom.
No, Afghanite is a gemstone in its own right - but these were lower grade cabochons rather than gem quality pieces.

Nothing wrong with lower grade cabochons if its reflected in the price - but these weren't. They were pricey.

Some were set in silver but Dave said they were taking a hit on those to make it more affordable for 'you guys'....yeah right

I see he's doing another 'to camera' piece about his diminishing (we wish) type A jadeite. Was excited to hear that it was an upcoming last chance to buy but if you listen close there's a MAYBE in there 🙄

Some were set in silver but Dave said they were taking a hit on those to make it more affordable for 'you guys'....yeah right

I see he's doing another 'to camera' piece about his diminishing (we wish) type A jadeite. Was excited to hear that it was an upcoming last chance to buy but if you listen close there's a MAYBE in there 🙄
Yet again another last chance? How much longer will these last chances go on?

If he's taken a hit on those, just days after Hattie was selling everything at a loss too, it's no wonder they've had to make staff redundant...............

The Type A Jadeite will still be diminishing this time next year - along with the 'Nilamani' that was on again this weekend despite them telling us last year that there would be no showcases of that either because they "hadn't got enough in stock".

😲🤭… after taking a couple of weeks worth of break from the never ending Jadeporia, tuned in today in anticipation of being excited to see some new gem delights to support the actual theme of the weekend……

very confused so far…

JADE? - more Jade..how?
and not the usual leftover stock from the past year, but NEW items with the old eye-watering prices?

NILAMANI -
also new pieces?
This is after we were told for the past year that they are ABSOLUTELY NEVER EVER will be able to bring to us, supported by a VT from Steve saying that “it might take another hundreds years to discover“ a similar treasure (that VT I recall seeing a long time ago) and very cute donkey precariously Trotting in the mountains after presumably (here hoping) having given Mr Troth a ”hoof sandwich” explaining him narrating the scene with his usual “charisma and optimism “ 😅.

Neither of the two are in keeping with the theme of the weekend.
Both we have been told over and over and over again they are UNABLE to source to create new items of jewellery.

My question is do they have some short term memory problems or do they expect their regular customers to have/catch from them?

This is not a way to keep any trust of their loyal customers, who are a part of a“big happy family” …

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back