All these kitchen gadgets

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MaryA

Registered Shopper
All these kitchen gadgets we supposedly can't do without. My gran cooked in her own fireplace on an open fire, with a bread oven to the side, plus a primus stove for when the fire wasn't lit. Her food was fabulous and nutritious. She grew all her own fruit and veg too. Yummy and many happy memories.

We have a motorhome and have very limited kitchen space, so when we go away, my only cooking items are double skillet, a knife and chopping board. Yet in the house I've loads of gadgets. Do I really need them or even use most of them? Nope. Kitchen gadgets are my hubby's weakness, though he never cooks. When I add up what he spent versus what I actually use.... What a waste of ££££££. Nan would spin in her grave, bless her. LOL.

I concur 100%. Does anyone actually need a breadmaker or a soup maker? I know people who bought a breadmaker and it is kept at the back of the cupboard!

Have to confess to being a bit of kitchen gadget nerd.

Ones I use all the time:
1. Kitchenaid stand mixer
2. Kitchenaid food processor
3. Slow Cooker (family size for batch cooking, mini one fr single portion)
4. Magic Bullet
5. Steamer

Ones that I use every now and then:
1. George Forman grill

Ones that have not seen light of day for years:
1. Juicer

So, the only one I really regret is the juicer (and I'm sure I'm not alone there).

I will also 'fess up to having a real weakness for casserole pots and bakeware too :blush:

to do basic cooking i imagine a knife and cutting board plus pans/cooker are all you really need. if you bake a stand mixer although very ecpensive is worth its weight in gold. i have sold a lot of cooking utensils on the bay and will not replace them

Have to confess to being a bit of kitchen gadget nerd.

Ones that have not seen light of day for years:
1. Juicer

So, the only one I really regret is the juicer (and I'm sure I'm not alone there).

I will also 'fess up to having a real weakness for casserole pots and bakeware too :blush:

A woman after my own heart - why oh why did I buy a juicer? So much effort and cleaning for a glassful of fruit juice!
Ive got a thing for baking tins and Pans too lol

I probably do have too many, and some of them never get used, I have a rice cooker that was a waste of money, and I have two slow cookers - one I've had for twenty years and love and another one that I thought was a step up that I never fell in love with so I don't use it!, but I genuinely do use my bread maker the most of anything in my kitchen. I make all my own bread using it, we never have shop bought bread, haven't done for about three years. It gets used at least once a day.

as a guy i wonder why i bought a juicer as well what a faff cleaning it,its at the bottom of cupboard.

if you are going to use it and it allows you to cook fresh food etc easier its a boom but not if i gathers dust like some of my previous must have gadgets

I was very tempted by the Ninja when it was on this morning. Bought a mandolin from QVC a few years ago , thought it looked a good idea. OH sliced his finger end off on first use and that was cleaning it so it's in the back of a cupboard somewhere. Got a large slow cooker that's been in my Mums loft for the past 25 years. Finally got it out and used it last year but it's back up there now , it's too big to store in my kitchen cupboards. OH would like a bread maker but we've no room. Storage is a big problem. Perhaps if I hadn't ordered so much crap from QVC in the past I would have more room to put these things.

All you need is a microwave. Everything else is surplus to requirements :tongue:

My juicer is my least used gadget, only used it a few times, soon got fed up with all the time it takes to clean (10 seconds to drink the juice, 30 minutes to clean it).

I have a large pressure cooker, but very rarely use it.

I have a Cooks Essential pan which is very good, called a saucier. It is like a flat bottomed wok, with curved sides, so is useful for all sorts of things. The top locks onto it, with small and large draining holes. I think it was a TSV.

My Kenwood Chef was used once, but I use the liquidiser for smoothies now and again. My food processor is in the back of a cupboard.

I fell for the IW hype and after about 100 demos bought the vastly overpriced Bamix Swissline. It is not as good as the demos make out.

I have scores of other gadgets eg for cutting spiral cucumbers, for slicing veg's, for getting juice out of lemons, so many that I can't even remember them, that never get used.

My most used gadget is a tin opener, but I've never found a good one that works properly for more than a few months, inc the QVC ones and electric ones.

My best trick is to nibble around the edges of fairy cakes, stick Smarties on the top & they think you are brilliant!

I feel an "At home with Minim " show being discussed by the food network executives,as we speak.

MeThinks

Hmmm, when I read that Minim opens custard packs and sachets, I thought, "that sounds like MissMeg and her SweetTooth and NibblesPouches." Then her next post talked of nibbling 'round fairy cakes. I think OurMin is out shopping and MissMeg is AtTheKeyboard! =^.^=

Latest posts

Back