Amanda Wakeley TSV 06/09/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I’m fortunate in that I could afford an Amanda Wakeley handbag, or a Lulu Guinness one, but I would never spend that ridiculous amount of money for something that does the same job as my £10 Lorenz bag. It’s small, tough wearing and I can get everything in it that I need when I go out. It’s not leather but that doesn’t bother me.

I know a lot of women love handbags and shoes, but I’m not one of them. I buy things for practicality rather than wanting a “label.” I have never been into “designer” clothes or accessories and would rather spend my money on other things rather than bags or shoes that cost more than my winter heating bill.

Apologies to anyone who loves expensive bags or shoes and whom I might have offended in my post.

I’m fortunate in that I could afford an Amanda Wakeley handbag, or a Lulu Guinness one, but I would never spend that ridiculous amount of money for something that does the same job as my £10 Lorenz bag. It’s small, tough wearing and I can get everything in it that I need when I go out. It’s not leather but that doesn’t bother me.

I know a lot of women love handbags and shoes, but I’m not one of them. I buy things for practicality rather than wanting a “label.” I have never been into “designer” clothes or accessories and would rather spend my money on other things rather than bags or shoes that cost more than my winter heating bill.

Apologies to anyone who loves expensive bags or shoes and whom I might have offended in my post.
Me too, and one in particular must have at least 40 of the damned things - bags that is. She's got a couple of pricey ones, I know one's a Michael Kors, then a couple of Radley's, Osprey and if said she spent bigger money because they're more hardwearing, I'd understand it a bit - but no, she'll say I need another bag, just one for work, 'cause the MK is a bit too posh for everyday use, or I want a navy blue one, cause it goes better with such and such, or one with a pale lining so I can see what's in it, a bigger one, a smaller one. I just don't get it! I've got a lovely tan leather handbag, that goes with everything because it's tan, it's not too big or too small, I have a small evening bag, and a couple of totes - and I'll replace each one as an when necessary (wear and tear). Her dream is to own a LV bag, she's got a few fakes in her collection - can't see the point in that either...and shoes that's her other one. I think most people probably have more shoes than they need because unlike bags, they really can make or break an outfit - but 100's of pairs? Crazy..and where the hell do you put them all?!
I'd sooner spend my hard earned money on something that I'll actually get use from, enjoy, will make life easier, will improve my home...not something that gets bunged in the back of the wardrobe and brought out on special occasions - or never!!!

It's all relative though isn't it? I've just bought the Molton Brown Big Deal offer. Three bottles of shower gel for £42.00. Now yes, compared to buying direct, it's a bargain, but even so, £14.00 per bottle is a ridiculous price when you think about it, but I (and many others I'm guessing) are more than happy to pay it.
But do I feel guilty about it? No, I'm sorry but I really don't.
I realise that £42.00 would probably feed a family of four for a week, but should that stop me from buying what I want if I can afford it? No I'm sorry, but I don't think it does.

It's all relative though isn't it? I've just bought the Molton Brown Big Deal offer. Three bottles of shower gel for £42.00. Now yes, compared to buying direct, it's a bargain, but even so, £14.00 per bottle is a ridiculous price when you think about it, but I (and many others I'm guessing) are more than happy to pay it.
I realise that £42.00 would probably feed a family of four for a week, but should that stop me from buying what I want if I can afford it? No I'm sorry, but I don't think it does.
Absolutely spot on ,I never feel guilty about buying anything, and yes I do own AW bags and love them.😊

Absolutely spot on ,I never feel guilty about buying anything, and yes I do own AW bags and love them.😊
So agree, there are people who can make you feel some sort of guilt about the things you spend your money on.It can come from a form of jealousy but then I think it is my money which I alone have worked for and nobody else is loosing out so go ahead!
I've always been a carpe diem person; life's short & it's also a balancing act. I could sell everything I own & give my chosen charities much needed funds, however, ultimately it wouldn't make any difference to all the misery that's happening on the planet. We all like different 'things', what one person sees as essential is viewed by another as an extravagance. We went to an art exhibition last Friday because there was a gallery selling paintings by Clair Arbuthnott & I love her work. The gallery owner was a delight, there were three framed watercolours & one just in a mount & it's now behind the settle in our dining room waiting to be framed. It was a considered purchase but will give pleasure, appreciate in value & when I shuffle off our daughter can decide to keep it or sell it & my bear charity will benefit. Would I buy an AW bag? No, but that's because they're made in a place I don't like, however, I do have a Milly bag from Jane Hopkinson, 'naughty' Vienna told me about her bags, & it will last a lifetime.

I don't feel guilty about spending money on the things I want, and I don't think anyone else should feel guilty. You've earned your money - spend it on what you like. Just because I wouldn't spend £40 on bath foam or hundreds of pounds on a bag, doesn't mean nobody else should. The fact that I don't care about designer labels or shoes and bags is neither here nor there, but I think it's ok to express that opinion, just as it's ok to say that that sort of thing is your bag (pun intended)! There's certainly no jealousy on my part, though I am envious of those who have, say a nicer house than me, a garden, a pool - but obviously I don't care that much 'cause I don't even buy a lottery ticket!

I don't think I've ever spent more than 99P on shower gel, and even less when I buy it in Lidl.

I have to save money on such items in order to buy more gadgets.
Lol that’s made me hoot! How many gadgets can one person have???

I don't think I've ever spent more than 99P on shower gel, and even less when I buy it in Lidl.

I have to save money on such items in order to buy more gadgets.

Lol that’s made me hoot! How many gadgets can one person have???
Not as many as Stud Buddy has, he’s that many he has lock them away then loose the key. 😂😂😂

No offence but I love labels. You can always sell on when finished with them.

For decades I bought up three children and every penny went on my babies. I would have two dresses one to wear and one to wash. One pair of good shoes and one good handbag ENNY at a time. Now my girls have all grown up and what little money I have is all for me. I treat myself to make up for being basic Betty for many many years. As the song goes "its my time"

I also could afford to buy any of these bags and cosmetics but don’t want to line the pockets of so called celebrities just to have a product with their name on. I’m at an age where I c@n spend what I like and not feel guilty about it so most of our money goes on enjoying life. We have a decent car and like to have weekends away days in the country and meals in nice pubs and restaurants in our favourite places.

Latest posts

Back