Another scam!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Friend at work is a keen "comper" and has actually won a few bits and pieces, including a tablet computer, she told me that she gets most of comps from a website called prize finder.com. I signed up for it which was free and easy to do, and had a quick look. On the first page was a section called "top comps" one was a prize draw to win a mini cooper car, I entered that one, but left it at that as I didn't have any time to have a good look around and forgot about it. This morning I received a phone call from an unknown number, and a foreign sounding lady asked for me by name, I asked who's calling and she gave the name of a company I'd not heard of before, then she said "You recently entered a competition to win a mini cooper car"...this much is true, so my ears pricked up, and she said congratulations, and as you can imagine at this stage my heart leapt...then continued to say that I'd been short listed to enter the next stage of the draw - rapid jolt back to reality, as this means absolutely Jack all. She confirmed my name, d.o.b, address and post code...feeling a bit scared now, but realised I'd obviously filled this information in when I entered. Anyway, she started on this lengthy spiel about how they're going to send me 10 free lines for euromillions, to give me a "taste of winning" before I potentially won the big prize, even asking me what colour car I'd prefer! I kept saying uh huh, just to show her I was still there...and then she went on about the chance to join a lottery syndicate for a small charge...I just put the phone down, without waiting for the inevitable questions regarding my bank account number, sort code, mother's maiden name etc!

FFS! I thought I was entering a bonafide competition, and no, I didn't think in a million years I'd win it, but "you've gotta be in it to win it" they say, and as I say it was a quick dip into the world of "comping"! What angers me most, even though it appears that this site does actually promote some bonafide comps that scammers can use it as a platform from where they can rip vulnerable people out of their money. The biggest worry I had was that I'd probably have to sign up for newsletters, and junk email, but you can delete these, so I wasn't too concerned....but didn't even consider that it could give scammers an ideal opportunity to give credibility to their filthy scams!

Let's face it, how many times have we had a call from an unknown number and somebody has said it's regarding the accident you had, or the competition you recently entered? You immediately think "what accident", "what competition"....swear them profusely, or just hang up! Now they know that you have entered a competition, and they have all your details (obviously not all, cause that's why they're calling) I'm sure many, especially the more vulnerable among us, have gone ahead and given over vital information. Perhaps they went on to win the car...perhaps not, as I seriously doubt if there is one! Gggrrrr!

Latest posts

Back