Any Caribbean Cruisers around with advice or tips for a first timer?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes Barbs, it's just the two of us going. I am excited but apprehensive about leaving the dogs, they are going to a near neighbour who just boards for people she knows. I know she'll look after them and I'll take their own food and special throws etc. but I've never left them for this long before and Jonathan has separation issues bless him so he's a particular worry. I can see my mobile phone bill is going to be astronomical with me ringing to check up on them all the time.:sad:

You could text to keep the phone bill down but check that it is cheaper than phoning. Otherwise email. You can often take out special add ons from your network provider for use overseas

I'm off on 23rd March so not long to wait now. Thanks for the advice on seasickness tablets Lorraine, I don't suffer from motion sickness but I'll take some just in case. Plenty of sun cream packed as well as big hat with floppy brim and fan to cool me down. The ship does dock at each port so no tenders to worry about and our suite is midship near the elevators so hopefully not too much walking. The full dining room menu is also available from room service (included in the price) so I can make use of that if I don't feel like walking at all. I've bought myself one of those seat on a stick things so that I can take the weight off the old pins when I need too. I'm going to look a right sight :blush: but I'm determined to be comfortable. Nervous but excited now. :happy:

I'm getting all excited for you. I have only been on one cruise - from / return to Venice, around Italy, Greece, Turkey and Dubrovnik - is that eastern mediterranean? Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it, one of the best holidays I have been on - and it was the very first holiday I ever went alone. The whole experience was wonderful. As a result, it gave me the confidence to book lots of other holidays on my own.
I do intend booking another cruise but the single supp can be very high, unfortunately.

You will have a fabulous time and don't worry about your pets too much - they will be having a little holiday adventure too with your friend / neighbour. xx

Ooooh, that looks like a nice ship Frazzled, thanks for that. Iloveshopping, I'll definitely take your advice and use text or email and DD will leave her phone in the no data download mode in case someone needs to contact us urgently. I also have the ship's telephone number (although prohibitively expensive) in case of a dire emergency. Dollydimple, I hope I don't get hooked on cruising as there is not much chance of this one being repeated barring a lottery win. :giggle:

I'm off on a Caribbean cruise at the end of March courtesy of my wonderful daughter as an early 60th birthday present. I've never been on a cruise before and would be grateful if anyone has any tips or advice from best ways to travel to the port from hotel, to the best excursions or what clothing to take/best places to eat etc. I've had a look on the cruise critic forum but there don't seem to be many Brits on there so thought I'd try asking on here.

We're going with Royal Caribbean from San Juan and visiting Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Croix, St. Maarten and Antigua. Thank you everyone.

I hope my post isn't too late. We've always taken a taxi to the port. You should pack a small bag with items you may need for the first day (swimwear/toiletries etc.) plus a change of clothes for the evening. Your cases may not turn up to your cabin until late in the day. Definitely pack some dressy clothes for the formal nights, there are plenty of cruise photographers around & a photo of you all dressed up would be a beautiful souvenir of a wonderful birthday present!

We always had room service for breakfast, we found it to be a calmer start to our day - no crowds. If none of the excursions on offer appealed to us we would just hire a taxi to take us to a beautiful beach.

I'm very envious, have a wonderful trip.

Thanks for the tips RubySlippers. I wouldn't have thought of packing necessaries for the evening so I'll make sure I do that now. I'm off on Friday night and getting really excited now. :clapping:

I forgot to mention that you should check out the soft drinks & wine packages when you get on board, it may work out cheaper for you. Definitely have room service breakfast at least one morning on your balcony - bliss.

Bon voyage!

Well Mam it must be countdown now for your cruise. Have you everything packed and ready to go. It must be so
exciting and oh i'd be on cloud nine, being inpatient and wanting Friday to just come, but this is all part of the
excitement, the build up to it.

Is it your birthday when you're on the cruise? Take lots of photos and show us all when you get back. Its a once
in a lifetime holiday, and i really hope you and your lovely daughter have a ball. Just enjoy every minute of it and
all the different experiences you're going to have, and all the places to see. Even the balcony on the ship would have
me jumping up and down with joy. And never worry about the dogs, they're in good hands, and will be spoilt rotten,
so just concentrate on yourself and your daughter, and relax and enjoy it. xx

Thank you both. The drinks packages are very expensive RubySlippers, I'd have to get sozzled every day to break even:) Apparently we are allowed to take on two bottles of wine and any soft drinks we want so the plan is to pop to a nearby Walmart on Sunday morning and stock up before catching a cab to the port. We're staying the Saturday night at the Marriott in San Juan which is apparently close to Walmart.

BarblySparks, you are quite right, I'm like a child on Christmas Eve, I can't sleep and my stomach is churning constantly. At this rate, I'll be exhausted before we get there, just hope I don't disgrace myself. :blush: I'm sure the dogs will be alright, but you know what we're like, can't help worrying about them. I've just been packing their case with a fleecy throw and a microwave hottie in case they get cold.:sad:

The first time I left my dog with my friend, she suggested I packed an item of my clothing for Zack (my doggy) to snuggle up to. I took a scarf and she told me that Zack did like it and cuddled up to it - but he also thoroughly enjoyed himself and now he happily stays with her when I go on my hols. :mysmilie_48:

I'd have to get sozzled every day to break even:

that would be no problem for me! :giggle:

You'll soon be on your way, hope you enjoy every minute!

ship.jpg

Thanks Dollydimple, I was thinking about taking an old jumper for them to cuddle up with, I'll definitely do that now. SparklyBarbs, no it's not my birthday until 15th August but that's hurricane season in the caribbean so we had to opt for the Easter break instead as 31 is a teacher and can only travel in the school holidays. It's a pain because everything is so much more expensive then.

Frazzled, I don't think I could afford to get sozzled with the price of the drink packages. We'd both have to take the package as they don't allow just one person in a cabin to have one. The price for both of us would be $110 per day for a seven day cruise and you have to pay for the full seven days.:sad: With the exchange rates as they are that would work out at around £520 for the week. :mysmilie_466:

Definately a good idea for the dogs, so they are sorted. Flip thats an awful price for the package.:mysmilie_502:

And i think its better not to go in the hurricane season :mysmilie_502: its just a pity you can only go in
school holidays which are always more expenseive. But not long to go now :mysmilie_480:

Oh you're not away yet then Mam, you must be all excited , cases packed and just waiting for the
taxi to arrive Lucky, lucky you, especially in this awful weather. Have a brill time and enjoy
every minute, and the time with your lovely daughter. Mine DD is walking home in the snow,
not well, and going to bed when she gets home. Really heavy snow in Belfast xx

Just bitterly cold, raining and windy here. We're leaving an hour early just in case weather causes problems. Thank you all for you bon voyage greetings. See y'all in ten days (hopefully). :sweat:

Latest posts

Back