Appreciation of effort made by presenters

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

London

Registered Shopper
Personally I would like to say how lovely Clare is looking this Sunday. She has brightened up the morning with her lovely hairstyle and smiles.

I would like to veer away from any negativity about any persons appearance or dress sense. :mysmilie_11:

Wouldn't it be nice to have a thread highlighting things people do well?:mysmilie_59:

Oh dear. I was about to open a thread about presenters on shows talking about subjects they know nothing about. I never watch DIY but happened to turn it on, to see Clare struggling, about as out of her depth as I would be when surrounded by DIY implements. Does she often present this, or is she a holiday fill-in?

When she asked "would you instinctively know if you had the right bit?" I could tell she was floundering. I think it's a matter of precise measuring and experience rather than instinct, Clare.

But it would be very mean to say something unpleasant, so let us agree that she is wearing a very pretty dress, and trying her best.

Hmm! Just flicked onto the DIY on Sunday show and can't really think of anything positive to say so had better not contribute anything else to this thread!

I like the Irish guy who was on with her presenting the power washer, he does other household things too. Just like his manner and he seems to know products inside out.

Appealing to the novice DIYers maybe, a Q untapped source :mysmilie_12: She does look lovely and I prefer her dress to the quick change jeans and checkered shirt with trainees farce. I filled a skip yesterday without breaking a nail, did wear two pairs of gloves mind! :mysmilie_8:

I think Clare did very well on the DIY show, not a fan of the Irish guest, I find him a bit too gushing....

I appreciate Jill Franks' efforts to take holidays. Wish she had more.

I'm not a big fan of dresses that show a lot of cleavage, dislike them even more when a baby voiced, immature, and rude woman wears them, the studio must hold their breath every time she bends down in case they escape...........oh sorry you want something nice said about Claire? Erm..............

I don't know whether to be in awe of presenters' abilities to talk fluent nonsense, or appalled that I ever listened to such drivel for long enough to spend thousands of pounds with Q in the olden days.

I had Molton Brown on for a couple of minutes (about my maximum Q exposure time now), to hear Sara Griffiths waxing lyrical about pomegranates "because they make me think of boudoirs". Is this just total rubbish, or if i upgraded my messy bedroom to a boudoir, would i find pomegranates to be the obvious furnishing accessory?

Lol.
I think that pomegranates were traditionally used as murals and interior design features in harems. Something to do with sexual innuendo, but i have never quite grasped why.

There is also, i think an idea that the pomegranate rather than the apple was the original fruit in the garden of Eden, but it got lost in translation.

What can I say, I am over educated ;)

Lol.
I think that pomegranates were traditionally used as murals and interior design features in harems. Something to do with sexual innuendo, but i have never quite grasped why.

There is also, i think an idea that the pomegranate rather than the apple was the original fruit in the garden of Eden, but it got lost in translation.

It's a pleasure to read your musings, and impossible to be over-educated! I did think that there may be some oriental allusion, so Googled it before posting. But the only connection I could find was pomegranate as a colour, not a fruit, for boudoir hangings.

Try googling 'seraglio' and 'pomegranate' nubile young women with pert bits were often compared with pomegranates.

Nowadays, in the West, we go for melons, or jugs. Quantity, over quality, apprarently...

Lol.

P.S. Like a dog with a bone, I had to have a go at this, and consulted Wiki. You are of course right in that some people think it was a pomegranate. Other contenders are wheat, grapes and mushrooms (tree-dwelling mushrooms??), and men's naughty bits. Oooh, Sara, you might have been right all along, and saved our blushes from the men's bits references by sniffing Molton Brown and talking about pomegranates instead.

The pomegranate was a sign of fertility and the insignia of Katherine of Aragon (the 1st wife of Henry VIII). I do like history!

If my memory serves me right, Persephone, daughter of Zeus and Demeter the Goddess of the Harvest, succumbed to eating 6 pomegranate pips in the Underworld which led to Demeter losing her daughter for 6 months of the year to Hades and is why we have Autumn and Winter. She was allowed home for the other 6 months which is why we have Spring and Summer.

Love this thread I have just spilt my coffee over my keyboard laughing at some of the replies. Keep up the good work.

If my memory serves me right, Persephone, daughter of Zeus and Demeter the Goddess of the Harvest, succumbed to eating 6 pomegranate pips in the Underworld which led to Demeter losing her daughter for 6 months of the year to Hades and is why we have Autumn and Winter. She was allowed home for the other 6 months which is why we have Spring and Summer.

How many pomegranate pips would it take to keep DF, JF and others in Hades for extended periods?

Latest posts

Back