Be prepared for substantial product price increases

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

No I have never seen a Gatineau salon. I seen gatineau on cosmetics direct site in the past.
i don't mind Gatineau cleansers but i have the Meltogenie wash and it annoys the hell out of me that some of the silver coating of the lid comes off in my hand every time I use it.Fortunately I did not purchase it I got with my passport points, but it would put me off pruchasing.

I had the same problem with one of their eye creams (the silver coating coming off the lid). I wrote to CS and they said to return it but I wanted to keep it and use the cream (looking back though it didn't make much difference...)

we have a beauty salon in town that sells / uses gatineau... and as ella says gets in tsvs soon after the event... i stopped using gatineau as it used to annoy the hell out of me that andrew and alison would be sitting there saying "this size, product etc etc are exclusive to qvc..." when i knew for a fact you could buy them on my high st... and the shop has huge official gatineau advertising in the window advertising them...!!:11: :33: :54:

i just felt that is you couldn't trust them - then i wasn't using the brand either...

And what really annoys me is when they say (and this goes for Elemis, Molton Brown in the past too) "the salon owners are buying this tsv in bulk because they can't get the products cheaper themselves, it's that much of a bargain!"

Yeah, right.....:33: :lair:

I always wondered why I'd seen Gatineau products in TJ Hughes and cheap beauty shops when it supposed to be a 'prestigious salon brand'. I know you can find Decleor in TK Maxx and Superdrug but it's still quite expensive. I once bought a huge 400ml Gatineau cleanser for £3.99! Now I know it's owned by Revlon it makes more sense.

A t-caller asked Andrew a couple of years ago 'how come they're selling Gatineau in TJ Hughes?' He looked a bit startled then said that they were probably imported 'grey goods' and not to buy them because they were probably very old stock! :redface:

There's a bit of truth in there. What sometimes happens is that stock exported to other countries doesn't sell so it's sold at a discount to the likes of TJ's. Then they import them back to the UK and sell them at a profit. It's not exactly grey goods - those are brought abroad via a distributor then brought into the UK especially for the consumer. Case in point - Levi's and Tesco - Tesco bought in bulk from abroad from a distributor and sold them. Unfortunately Levi's wanted to maintain the high profit margin so got argued in court.

I too am not a fan of Gatineau...fell for the idea of it, a few too many times, but think there is more fragrance than anything else in the product. I went for it in a big way when they had a viewer come on who only ever used Gatineau and she looked AMAZING...(hence why they had her on) Does anyone remember her? She did look good but not I just think she found something that worked for her...

Has anyone actually seen a Gatineau salon? I ask this because I never have.

No, never, just Decleor, Guinot, Elemis etc. The Revlon thing might also explain why it's very hard to find Gatineau in French pharmacies which sell pretty much every other French brand. When I was in St Tropez (oh do excuse me, I think I just dropped something...:1:) the French pharmacist thought Decleor was a fairly bog-standard range, not prestigious at all. To them, Chanel and Dior were the premium brands, along with La Prairie etc.

i've just had an idea when andrew bagley and his 'therapistare back on aslk what salon she works in and even ask for a complimentry facial.

There is a salon in Cheltenham where you can get stuff and they do gatineau facials - so they do exist. I personally love most of the products. I used to like decleor especially the 'brown' toner which had a lovely fragrance then they changed it to the pale pink one and that was just like water to me with no smell at all.

Also I get the abc tea tree wash for my teenagers - it is soo good for spots. Got some off ebay last time as it had not been on qvc for ages, but a couple of weeks ago I saw it was back on in a in the salon with Alison session. Have bought some tea tree foam wash from the body shop for them to try though as it is very expensive when you add the postage on - and have to watch the pennies now.

:funky:

Also I get the abc tea tree wash for my teenagers - it is soo good for spots. Got some off ebay last time as it had not been on qvc for ages, but a couple of weeks ago I saw it was back on in a in the salon with Alison session. Have bought some tea tree foam wash from the body shop for them to try though as it is very expensive when you add the postage on - and have to watch the pennies now.

I'm pretty sure they sell abc in Superdrug Rosey :1:

we never heard from the OP again did we?
I think that you guys are right, ALL retailers will need to slash their margins but also look at the perceived added value aspect...so ecologically sound, not made with sweated labour....whatever the customer wants....look how well tesco and m and s have done flogging not for profit shopping bags!...and of course while you are in there, you'll buy their stuff

I too have cut my spending

After all it is the "Credit Crunch" and ppl are cutting back on their purchases, whether it be Shops; or Shopping Channels?

I used to like decleor especially the 'brown' toner which had a lovely fragrance then they changed it to the pale pink one and that was just like water to me with no smell at all.

Thanks for that Rosey, I have never heard of anyone who thought the same as me.
I used to love getting the Decleor cleanser & toner sets, which they used to do in the new year, but once they changed to the pink toner, I never bought it again & as a result no longer buy Decleor at all.

Latest posts

Back