Beauty : Expensive Quality

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I have tried many of the premium brands, featured on QVC and, despite preferring some over others, my generic opinion is that I am paying a premium, but the products are so worth it. Little things, like the scent, the texture. Because know that, whatever the price, skincare cannot turn back time I have adopted the reasoning that, consequently, spending a lot on product ranges is just not vfm.
I still use certain luxury brand products - I do love elemis toner - but, in the main, I am using Aldi's range. The hot cloth cleanser is the same as LE at a fraction of the price. The rose facial oil smells gorgeous, just like JW, which was my favourite product of hers. The moisturiser is okay.
I am spending a lot less, but achieving the same results.

I too have used many premium brands. I absolutely don't rate Gatineau, never rated Elemis but recently found a couple of products that were good but pretty unaffordable. I was a Decleor addict but they've sold out and the new stuff is poor. JW and LE were good but again, everything I've tried of late seems "watered down" so not bought for a while. A few things out of the TILI boxes have surprised me but I'm now trying to find something my skin likes. Manuka Honey products are on my agenda just now but we'll see. Tried Lidl and Aldi products but they're on the "yes and" for me.

CC

for me if it works for you use it as to me its not about price for me philosophy, molton brown & loccitane & SBC all work better than most of the other things but because it works for me il stick to using that as most other things dry my skin out so wont change when something works

There was a beauty study done a few years back were all the names were hidden on the containers and the big wigs in the industry had to pick their favourites, every single time Aldi skin care came out on top, so much so people were buying it in bulk and selling it on eBay for four times the price it was that in demand. Aldi hot cloth cleanser is the same as Liz Earle but doesn’t have as many chemicals in it than the Liz Earle one so Aldi is the better one for your skin. It’s ingrained in us all by the beauty “experts” the bigger the name, the bigger the price, better results and it’s just not true. When I was younger I was a name snob, thought if it was sold on QVC it must be the best, that’s not true either and that’s why they’ve snapped up many brands that were on Ideal World that Ideal World got rid of for example, I bet when people seen M Assam on Ideal World they thought it was a rubbish brand and wouldn’t buy it, yet when it went to QVC people bought it thinking it must be good, same with Elizabeth Grant which is also good skin care and sold all around the world but because it’s on ideal World, must be rubbish which again is not true, E G is from the stable of Judith Williams, M Asam, Flora Mare, cheap and cheerful skin care. At the end of the day all we need on our skin is a good moisturiser, to keep the skin supple, the rest is immaterial.

its a funny thing skincare. Elemis is popular and its ok but imo a lot of it is its presentation, textures and far too much scent/perfume. it is a luxury brand I agree but the results imo are not there...love the cleansing balms and the Ginseng toner but not convinced about the Oxygenating night cream its not rich enough for a night cream you have to use loads. Liz Earles neroli Superskin is the best moisturiser I have ever used in my life

Speaking of expensive skincare, I noticed these little gems in the new beauty items thread. I've yet to see a presentation and it will be interesting (i.e. laughable) to see how they pitch them....

Over £100 for 30ml of product and you need to use it morning and night. I can’t see that lasting long. Another overpriced product. No way could I justify spending that amount of money on a cosmetic product.

In the days before I developed mild rosacea, I could use everything Boots own brand not the No7 whatever one they do which is expensive. Now my skin does not like so many things. Liz Earle C&P is out we don't have Aldi in N.I so no idea about it. I like some Elemis and used from way back when a moisturiser cost £23! Gatineau no, and anything with a highly perfumed smell I stay well away from. Even Elemis' new products I stay away from. Decleor I can no longer use and I loved their balms. I look at it like this I don't care if it is cheap or expensive I am not going through a rosacea outbreak trying new brands and products and then getting my face to settle down again.

I like and can use Liz Earle Superskin moisturiser no problem, Elemis PCMC, Pro Rad Cleanser not a fan of the balm though used the Sensitive Skin Wash for years, Matrix and Oxy Night Cream and their toners. Emma Hardie, I seem to be fine with everything I have tried even the Vit C moisturiser as I thought it might be too active for me but no. Algenist I can use some of the range the Restorative range which seems to have disappeared from the UK was a favourite.

Oh, you want to talk expensive 111 Skin has a moisturiser which is over $1,000 Plus.

I have sensitive skin which hates anything perfumed. I`ve tried many of the expensive brands in the past ie No7, clinique, decleor, elemis etc etc. I also decided a couple of years ago that I would only buy items which I knew were 100% cruelty free and as we know, many of them say they`re cruelty free but still sell in China or buy ingredients which have been animal tested in other Countries. Plus some of the 100% cruelty free brands can be quite expensive too.
Then I found a website which make their own skincare and bodycare in small batches and they do a range of their skin/body/hair bases which are totally perfume free and which aromatherapists buy to mix with their own essential oils. They come in small sizes as well as huge tubs or containers for beauticians, aromatherapists to make their own blends.
I buy the bases and they are perfect for me, excellent products and cheap. I use their face wash base, their moisture cream base, their shampoo and conditioner bases, their face mask base and I buy their floral waters to use as a toner. I also use their handwash but I do buy the fragranced ones in those because I don`t need to use unfragranced stuff on my hands. I`m also ok with most bodywashes and its just my face which is uber sensitive.
Here`s the link to the bases if anybody is interested, sizes start at 100ml upwards.

Last edited:
Speaking of expensive skincare, I noticed these little gems in the new beauty items thread. I've yet to see a presentation and it will be interesting (i.e. laughable) to see how they pitch them....

It is on now with that lady who used to represent Revitalash

for me if it works for you use it as to me its not about price for me philosophy, molton brown & loccitane & SBC all work better than most of the other things but because it works for me il stick to using that as most other things dry my skin out so wont change when something works
I have bought loads and loads of SBC but it never seems to have done for me what I read in the reviews.... I would’ve liked for it to as it always seems good Value.
Love Molton Brown but have been buying occasionally from Bicester as my sister lives there and we went round often before the lockdown

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Dew how funny is that
The first presentation hour is today at noon. I may tune in for the first time in a long time, just to see JR justifying the 'price-point'!

Just caught Chuntley asked Natalia “was the honey replenished?”, Natalia replies “yes” Chuntley says “I know you’d know because you ask the questions we’d want to ask” Natalia replies “oh yes I’m all about ethical”, Chuntley asks “how big are the products?” Natalia replies “er.....er....er.....”

That’s enough QVC BS I can handle in two minutes, time to change the channel 😜😜😜

I don’t know a thing about this Perlier range, it may be the ‘best thing since sliced bread’ but the drooling of Natalia over the products with back up Chuntley never shutting up about the wonders of QVC ‘ use it for 60 days’, money back guarantee easypays etc.etc you know the rest! Just too much sugar coating for me to take.

The Times ran an article about Caroline Hirons yesterday. There’s an accompanying list of her recommended products. I’m sitting on my hands, but I’m tempted as some of them are on offer! (#2, #5 & #8)
65935048-EA02-4F9A-BF86-B17E19702958.jpeg

Full Times Magazine article...

Attachments

• 8E7EE8BA-D960-4E33-9B73-751881738C58.png
    8E7EE8BA-D960-4E33-9B73-751881738C58.png
    239.5 KB · Views: 355
  • 86D695F2-51C8-4E45-82AB-A7D57DFEE4C0.png
    86D695F2-51C8-4E45-82AB-A7D57DFEE4C0.png
    231.2 KB · Views: 350
  • 946953FD-7959-46B1-B3FD-FAA19495628F.png
    946953FD-7959-46B1-B3FD-FAA19495628F.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 323

Just caught Chuntley asked Natalia “was the honey replenished?”, Natalia replies “yes” Chuntley says “I know you’d know because you ask the questions we’d want to ask” Natalia replies “oh yes I’m all about ethical”, Chuntley asks “how big are the products?” Natalia replies “er.....er....er.....”

That’s enough QVC BS I can handle in two minutes, time to change the channel 😜😜😜
Will the vegan Ms Huntley point out that the inclusion of honey or beeswax, or any other bee related products means it's not vegan? Was she trying the products out??? I sincerely hope not, if she's vegan...otherwise the best she can claim is to eat a plant based diet.

but as to the honey replenishing....words fail me!!!

Will the vegan Ms Huntley point out that the inclusion of honey or beeswax, or any other bee related products means it's not vegan? Was she trying the products out??? I sincerely hope not, if she's vegan...otherwise the best she can claim is to eat a plant based diet.

but as to the honey replenishing....words fail me!!!

She also said she uses L’Occitane hand cream, loves it, keeps one in her bag, one by her bed, loves L’Occitane, always uses it.........Chuntley the vegan? Chuntley the liar, either about using the brand of being a vegan or both.

Did CHuntley mention if she uses the product ? Only honey isn’t vegan, being the product of living creatures.

In the bit I seen she just said how much she loves it, it was the L’Occitane when I turned over later that she said she loves/adores L’Occitane, whilst ooohing and ahhhing at the smell rubbing it in to her hands and saying how she loves L’Occitane one he the bes, one in her bag blah....blah....blah...

Latest posts

Back