Bedding plants at excellent prices

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

boffy

Registered Shopper
Lidl have some lovely garden ready bedding plants at keen prices as usual...Garden centres are closed for the foreseeable future but the gardening season is upon us so.......

It really is too early for bedding plants, a Nursery/Garden Centre near me has a notice on their website they will not be selling before 1st May. They will not be even taking advanced orders.

its not here its very warm in the south east and these are for baskets and window boxes...if its forecast though I have some fleece that I have not used at the ready

Boffy last year I had 2 particularly lovely fuchsias , nemesia and a unusual geranium which I doubted would overwinter so I wrapped them in fleece. I was amazed that absolutely no water at all got through and they were in a sorry state. The nemesia are a gonner but there is life in the others so I’ve trimmed and watered hopefully they will recover. This is the first time I’ve used fleece .

its not here its very warm in the south east and these are for baskets and window boxes...if its forecast though I have some fleece that I have not used at the ready
I am in the South East too! This is Nursery is a proper one they actually grow the bedding plants themselves!

Boffy last year I had 2 particularly lovely fuchsias , nemesia and a unusual geranium which I doubted would overwinter so I wrapped them in fleece. I was amazed that absolutely no water at all got through and they were in a sorry state. The nemesia are a gonner but there is life in the others so I’ve trimmed and watered hopefully they will recover. This is the first time I’ve used fleece .
its always worth a try to overwinter hun you will be surprised what survives and those that do are bigger and stronger x

6 geraniums out of seven seeds have popped up within 2 days of sowing the very sunny days have really helped

I think I will devote this year to taking cuttings and try to propagate some of the nicer plants in the garden ready for next year.

Any tips? I don’t have a greenhouse.

To help understand cuttings just think of roots as underground leaves. You trim off the lower leaves put in a pot of some seed compost it has to be seed compost imo. water well let it drain then cover with a clear plastic food bag. seal with elastic bands or string or even tape up with sellotape. keep in a shady spot not full sun and wait......

I had fairly good results using vermiculite last year and there is more than half a biggish bag in the shed so I’ll experiment with this and also trying the water in a jar method. Its not as if I’m going anywhere so anything is worth a go. I’ve even looked out some of those wee seed pots Marks was giving out!!

Popped back to Lidl: they had 6 large garden ready fuchsias you buy what colour you want I bought a pink pack to go with my other pink white bedding I already have £3.49 for six a bargain. I also bought a Magnolia tree for £5.00 I know it won't flower for years but thats the same with most of them unless you pay the price of a small house for one. They also had Hardy Freesias and she other bargains

Magnolias are worth the wait. I have had a small standard magnolia that has done a very good impression of a dead stick for years but, hello! This year it is flowering.

Attachments

• IMG_0011 (3).JPG
    IMG_0011 (3).JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 120
Magnolias are worth the wait. I have had a small standard magnolia that has done a very good impression of a dead stick for years but, hello! This year it is flowering.
wow fabulous CC is it in a pot or in the ground it looks gorgeous

wow fabulous CC is it in a pot or in the ground it looks gorgeous
It's in a big pot. My mum bought it for my birthday years ago and every year I thought it was dead then it would put on a few buds then do nothing. This year I've a few flowers but the actual tree has only grown about a foot over all this time. I'm pleased with it though and have high hopes for next year 🌳

CC

Latest posts

Back