Behind the scenes at Q

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

China Girl

Registered Shopper
I've just watched a show I recorded on BBC 1 from Tuesday night, it was called Facelifts and Fillers.
It featured the clinic of Dr Darren McKeown, in Glasgow. Apart from all the usual botox and fillers goings on, he decided to create his own skincare range called Stop Wow. Apparently this was launched on Q last year, I don't remember it.
It showed Dr Darren himself doing the presenting audition with Miceal Murphy, all the beauty dept. staff were stood around watching this and giving instructions.
He was deemed to be unsuitable as a guest for his own products, nervous and unrelaxed seemed to be the reason given, and that he didn't handle the product he was talking about etc. He had to get a friend to be the guest, the actual show itself was with this friend and Charlie Brooks, everything sold out and went to advanced orders. What was interesting about it was seeing them all hyperventilating as the sales figures were being revealed on their monitors, and all the cheering at the sell outs. That woman who used to present Strivectin was one of them, it looked like her anyway.
The orchestration of body language and instructions about correct presentation was a bit of an eye opener.

Miceal came across as fake as fake could be, we all know this of course, but to actually see it in action :mysmilie_17:

I've always had suspicions Charlie had coaching by a Tony Blair spin doctor for body language and newsreader training for diction.

The brand was in SpaceNK over a year ago, in fact it was 50-70% off in their sale in January. I remember it was going to QVC but never seen it aired live.

I googled it when it was on SpaceNK's site to see if I could find out more, strangely nothing came up.

I suppose if a presenter is 'no-good' at selling their own products, then they can't really be confident enough in their products to be able to flog on 'selly telly'. I mean lets face it, it is often stated that a good salesperson can sell anything, therefore if you are not a born 'liar' (sorry salesperson), then you will find it difficult to sell anything no matter what medium you are trying to sell it on. I know that the products were a 'sell-out' but that doesn't really necessarily mean that they were any good, no repeat shows and no other shows with any of those products. Thus maybe the owner of the company was trying to flog a dead horse!

I suppose if a presenter is 'no-good' at selling their own products, then they can't really be confident enough in their products to be able to flog on 'selly telly'. I mean lets face it, it is often stated that a good salesperson can sell anything, therefore if you are not a born 'liar' (sorry salesperson), then you will find it difficult to sell anything no matter what medium you are trying to sell it on. I know that the products were a 'sell-out' but that doesn't really necessarily mean that they were any good, no repeat shows and no other shows with any of those products. Thus maybe the owner of the company was trying to flog a dead horse!
Perhaps they were all returned after the sell out

I watched it on I player just to see the Q part (which was very little and told us nothing) but ended up watching it all.

Taking away what he was actually doing I thought he was quite a nice guy. He looked awful but then he said that it had been done by a cowboy years ago. I did wonder if he couldn't have got it fixed (unless that was it fixed!)

Amazed at the women who claimed they were working class but were spending thousands at a time.

I thought that the stand in was a pillock. He is obviously basing his look on Techy Lee.

I've just watched a show I recorded on BBC 1 from Tuesday night, it was called Facelifts and Fillers.
It featured the clinic of Dr Darren McKeown, in Glasgow. Apart from all the usual botox and fillers goings on, he decided to create his own skincare range called Stop Wow. Apparently this was launched on Q last year, I don't remember it.
It showed Dr Darren himself doing the presenting audition with Miceal Murphy, all the beauty dept. staff were stood around watching this and giving instructions.
He was deemed to be unsuitable as a guest for his own products, nervous and unrelaxed seemed to be the reason given, and that he didn't handle the product he was talking about etc. He had to get a friend to be the guest, the actual show itself was with this friend and Charlie Brooks, everything sold out and went to advanced orders. What was interesting about it was seeing them all hyperventilating as the sales figures were being revealed on their monitors, and all the cheering at the sell outs. That woman who used to present Strivectin was one of them, it looked like her anyway.
The orchestration of body language and instructions about correct presentation was a bit of an eye opener.

Miceal came across as fake as fake could be, we all know this of course, but to actually see it in action :mysmilie_17:

I watched this - thank you for the heads-up about it.

I think when the new beauty items were listed, the range was down as Dr Darren McKeown, rather than Stop and Wow.

I think quite a few brand owners/creators are not right to present their own brands for a variety of reasons. Language may be one, or even accent if it is particularly impentrable. They could be too nervous and display it in body language which looks untrustworthy through the camera. The impression I got from what he said was that Darren didn't think he could do it justice (too close to it, perhaps)... plus if you have other irons in the fire - as he clearly does - you cannot spare the time to do it. It was an interesting documentary all round, and a great insight into the QVC process.

My colleague Jo guested on QVC a couple of years ago on a show featuring green tea tablets. She said she was sent on a 3-day course with a media training company and that to pass it they had to make a 3-minute video. Apparently guests are known as "yum-yums" at QVC. They also use it as a verb: "X is yum-yumming for Molton Brown at 11." She appeared on with Pipa and didn't get on with her apparently. Maybe that's why she only lasted 2 shows!

The impression I got from Darren, re QVC, was that he viewed selling his skincare range, on a shopping channel, rather belittled the procedure of cosmetic surgery. A bit like 'I'm a cosmetic surgeon, buy my skincare', insinuating that the same results can be attained, just be using it. I don't feel he believed this, and was not a natural in front of the camera.
An extremely informative, revealing documentary.
It would be nice to see a photo of him, pre his rhinoplasty, and hair transplant.

Latest posts

Back