Being treated like idiots by gem presenters

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Kathy Smith

Registered Shopper
I am so fed up.of being treated like idiots by gems presenters the worst ones are adina and Rachael Hatton, do they really think,we are idiots stop trying to compare your channel to the very top top shops. You are selling us jewellery and I do not believe that the avalanche are the only time you get these prices. So stop treating us like idiots

It's all part of the sales patter.I am sometimes amazed by the lengths some presenters go to.i don't get drawn in and it sounds as if you know what they are up to.

The other day a presenter ,I don't know her name ,was selling emeralds ,and really bigging up a new wonderful,top class seam of emerald found in Zambia.Apparently it's overtaken Columbia as the worlds best emerald site.She went on and on about Gems buying only the top quality , blah blah blah. These emeralds are not treated like most others , on and on.

The eventual price of the ring bore no relation to the build up she gave seeming to be much too cheap. But she will have presuaded some people they are getting a top quality bargain.

I wondered if any of this breached the selling rules. She was making a lot of claims .

I love how they talk as if tanzanite is going to run out, tomorrow.

Though I've heard that since 2013 (so it's probably even longer really as I have only watched gems or tjc since then). Amazing that.

Seeing how much Tanzanite gets sold by all the channels the world must be flooded with it.Everything is rare and running out ,or the mine is closed according to them.

mr tom, I've watched Gems since 2008, and can assure you it's been more or less the same story since then! They tend to forget that people do watch them over a period of time, and seem to be addressing themselves to new customers. OK, fine, I know you can't assume everyone watching is a regular, but they need to remember some of us have heard it all before, many times! Like you, I cannot believe that something that's on at least twice nearly every day (at least, some days it's on virtually all day) can possibly qualify for being described as "rare". Yes, the really dark colour, high-end, large carat weight solitaire pieces will be dearer, and usually set in 18K gold. PS: while I'm writing this, Rachel is on screen, telling us she's just read a magazine article, where someone(?) is telling us it's a good time to invest in Tanzanite! Here we go again.....

I love how they talk as if tanzanite is going to run out, tomorrow.

Though I've heard that since 2013 (so it's probably even longer really as I have only watched gems or tjc since then). Amazing that.

Well I'm watching a presenter I have never seen (rarely watch now)gushing about Apache Gold Pyrite.The keyword she keeps using to encourage people to buy is 'copper'.Apparently this particular type of pyrite contains copper and is 'very rare'.She reckons as copper is rising in value it is struggling to 'be created'.What a complete load of f******twaddle.Pyrite usually consists of iron compounds but can contain a number of different molecules including copper.It formed ages ago.Why do they lie?If someone likes a piece of relatively inexpensive jewellery they will buy it.They don't need to feel it is rare or limited.This channel is more like a market stall everyday.The bits of stone in candles and perfumes to justify them selling them makes me p***myself laughing.Once I bought from these .Now,it seems to me greed and fingers in too many pies has ruined what once was good.

NB:If you do want this get in soon . It's almost depleted in nature.Not officially but it is almost.We better add it to the list of the other endangered gemstones!

Last edited:
Well I'm watching a presenter I have never seen (rarely watch now)gushing about Apache Gold Pyrite.The keyword she keeps using to encourage people to buy is 'copper'.Apparently this particular type of pyrite contains copper and is 'very rare'.She reckons........It's almost depleted in nature.Not officially but it is almost.We better add it to the list of the other endangered gemstones!

Utterly agree. I bought most in 2012 (a bit if a latecomer!) and, looking at the list, most of it I still think is lovely and good value. Not especially rare stones; topaz, various quartz etc but good metal weights & gems that had colour with no huge window, where the colour is only noticeable through the crown AND where the treatments were standard and comprehensible.

Now, I still buy but, my goodness, it's rare & only when I've done an "AA car inspection" assessment; size (dimensions, not carat), metal weight, any diamonds (if 'yes' then I avoid like the plague - even accenting diamonds) and ignore lightbox. If the centre of the gem looks coloured in to me in the website 'head on' photo then I don't buy either; guaranteed window IMHO.

The lessons I've been taught by Gems (to be fair, good as well as bad) now informs my shopping anywhere, be it online or the DHS.

I very rarely buy now and its because of the presenters and their hard sell. I will buy if I see something I like, I don't need to be told that they are going fast and shouldn't be at that price. Most of the presenters get on my nerves now. The only ones I can watch is Jim, Kate and Ellis. I used to like Hattie but Ive gone off her and don't get my started on Meels. She sounds really dopey and I cant stand her droning on. I miss the likes of Rae and the old ones who have jumped ship. I have a price ceiling of £30 because, if I don't like it, I don't feel that Ive lost too much. A few years ago I used to get some nice gold pieces but the gold seems so thin these days, I just don't bother as I'm sure they would snap very quickly

They should contact James Russell - the king of Tanzanite selling techniques.

From closed mines and Indiana Jones being the sole miner as it's such a rare and impossible gem to get hold of.

Anyone remember the VT on Bid.tv with the walking giraffes and Peter Simon's eulogy to go along with it?

Gawd, I didn't see that, Paul_s, I'd have loved to watch that one! And the mind boggles at how Pope Pete pronounced the word 'tanzanite'. He was on the other day flogging sewing machines, and he couldn't even remember the name of the guest, Stuart! The poor bloke obviously lost his rag on one occasion, and said to him "no, I'm Stuart - you're Peter". Talk about amateur night.

Latest posts

Back