Bid victimised by asa

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

watched two hours straight of ideal world today 11am to 1pm

postage not MENTIONED ONCE

not even p+p not the amount not anything

If the bid bosses have any sense at all they will be monitoring the standards of some of the other channels and the asa case will fall apart before it has started

watched two hours straight of ideal world today 11am to 1pm

postage not MENTIONED ONCE

not even p+p not the amount not anything

If the bid bosses have any sense at all they will be monitoring the standards of some of the other channels and the asa case will fall apart before it has started

Two wrongs never make a right.

Correct Pj

But if it goes that far the legal team of bid are going to have a field day when they produce the evidence of the standards of there direct rivals regulated (or not) by the same body

Case will not last five minutes

It's funny how people are so 'all up in arms' when there is even the slightest wiff of an injustice on BID TV. But as soon as the injustice is against BID TV it gets flippantly dismissed as perfectly acceptable. It must be tricky to own such a badly balanced moral compass.

It's funny how people are so 'all up in arms' when there is even the slightest wiff of an injustice on BID TV. But as soon as the injustice is against BID TV it gets flippantly dismissed as perfectly acceptable. It must be tricky to own such a badly balanced moral compass.

Have you made a complaint to the ASA with regards the content of this thread and your original ASA reports?

I watched Ben Mosley sell a set of 8 accessories (lens cleaner, batteries, stand etc) for a Vivitar Camera yesterday. It went for £2.99.

He was very bullish about the value of this item. He cleared the stand of the items and, one by one, put the items back on his stand proudly followed by '£2.99' after each accessory. He honestly didn't once mention P+P. Nor did he with his next item and all I heard him say with the following item was right at the start of the sale 'factor in your delivery and call charges'. His sales have been very interesting of late!

I genuinely understand people views about Bid having to (usually) be very, very clear about the P+P but i'm afraid their past behaviour has (quite rightly imo) attracted a heavy hand from the regulators. It's also worth remembering that Sit Up's cost of item to the cost of additional charges ratio is unique in TV Shopping.

As far as i'm aware no other channel regularly charges between 799%-952% more (depending on method of ordering) than the item cost in additional charges, which the ASA said 'are significant conditions that should be given greater prominence' which is quite right, given the massive percentages involved.

But again, if anyone can provide evidence that other shopping channels employ similar practices then I am very open minded to have my opinion changed.

Last edited:
Talking to myself here but

it IS NOT the ASA job to say bid charge to much in postage it is a free market and whilst i think it is to high it is not illegal

That's right PJ but there seems to be a misconception that the ASA have somehow concluded that Sit Up charge too much for P+P and that is simply untrue.

What they have said is that because the P+P Sit Up charges forms a significant condition of a purchase (we all know it's way more than any other channels) it should be afforded greater prominence, that's all, and they are well within their rights to say that. But nowhere have they stipulated they charge too much. Not once. Ever!

The ASA have no authority to set P+P charges, but they haven't. And as far as i'm aware Sit Up's P+P charges haven't changed, have they? However, if anyone can provide evidence that the ASA have said that Sit Up charge too much for P+P then, again, I am happy to have my opinion changed.

But I suspect you'll be looking for an awfully long time :giggle:

Last edited:
That's right PJ but there seems to be a misconception that the ASA have somehow concluded that Sit Up charge too much for P+P and that is simply untrue.

What they have said is that because the P+P Sit Up charges forms a significant condition of a purchase (we all know it's way more than any other channels) it should be afforded greater prominence, that's all, and they are well within their rights to say that. But nowhere have they stipulated they charge too much. Not once. Ever!

The ASA have no authority to set P+P charges but they haven't. And as far as i'm aware their P+P charges haven't changed, have they? However, if anyone can provide evidence that the ASA have said that Sit Up charge too much for P+P then, again, I am happy to have my opinion changed.

That's exactly what I thought and line you my mind is always open to be changed :)

That's exactly what I thought and line you my mind is always open to be changed :)

On that point i'm confident you won't get your mind changed PJ because the ASA have never, ever said Sit Up charge too much for P+P.

It isn't within their remit :happy:

Just brilliant

Pj said that is why they are focusing on Bid i did not

ANother 45 minutes of ideal world watched this morning (recorded from last week)

postage mentions = zero actual postage cost for item £5.99

Just brilliant

Pj said that is why they are focusing on Bid i did not

ANother 45 minutes of ideal world watched this morning (recorded from last week)

postage mentions = zero actual postage cost for item £5.99

Postage is now 77p on all items this weekend (started yesterday) so a good opportunity is anybody wants some items without the high p&p.

Personally I think p&p should be mentioned by IW on every item, it takes 2 seconds & obviously will help a certain demographic of viewers (for example people with bad eyesight).

yes and surprise surprise they are mentioning it all the time now!

Paul Becque (ex bid/price drop) is the only one from a decent amount of time watched who factors in the p+p especially when saying "get it home for"

This is my whole point surely the ASA would not judge saying "get it home for £40 today" as fair and just and that is something that happens on a very regular basis on that channel

Maybe the people who watch ideal world do not give a jot? Maybe they do and just sit quiet i have no idea

Postage is now 77p on all items this weekend (started yesterday) so a good opportunity is anybody wants some items without the high p&p.

Personally I think p&p should be mentioned by IW on every item, it takes 2 seconds & obviously will help a certain demographic of viewers (for example people with bad eyesight).

I have some sympathy with those who say other channels don't mention P+P regularly, I genuinely do.

But, and it's a very big but, not one other shopping channel regularly sells items (in fact a massive part of their inventory) where the P+P is HIGHER than the item price. Not one. In fact I have genuinely never, ever seen any other channel sell one single item for less than the P+P. But Sit Up even sell items where the phone call alone costs more than the item, they are absolutely unique in that respect.

And that is why the ASA have stated that more prominence should be given to the associated purchase costs on Sit Up, and I absolutely agree with them.

It's worth remembering that Sit Up choose to sell many items at clearly less than cost price but beef up P+P, which of course isn't refundable in a return.

Last edited:
So you think it is not an issue when using easypay or whatever they call it Ideal World presenters regular state a "try it price" without mentioning the p+P )or the cost of the phone call which never ever ever gets mentioned on i world)

So you think it is not an issue when using easypay or whatever they call it Ideal World presenters regular state a "try it price" without mentioning the p+P )or the cost of the phone call which never ever ever gets mentioned on i world)

Imo channels such as QVC and IW are a totally different kettle of fish. I agree with the points Wirral made, but I think we need to consider the fast/pressured manner in which bid/pricedrop sell their goods, "You've got to hurry, or you could miss out", "The clock's ticking" etc - Viewers being encouraged to make snap decisions need to be informed clearly and reguarly how much something's going to end up costing them...more so, than a channel where they spend sometimes 10-15 on each item, often discussing it with a guest presenter, giving the viewer time to research the product online, compare prices, write down product numbers to order later, and most importantly perhaps, decide " Do I really need/want this?" Bid isn't like that, so yes they do need to be more transparent.

I have some sympathy with those who say other channels don't mention P+P regularly, I genuinely do.

But, and it's a very big but, not one other shopping channel regularly sells items (in fact a massive part of their inventory) where the P+P is HIGHER than the item price. Not one. In fact I have genuinely never, ever seen any other channel sell one single item for less than the P+P. But Sit Up even sell items where the phone call alone costs more than the item, they are absolutely unique in that respect.

And that is why the ASA have stated that more prominence should be given to the associated purchase costs on Sit Up, and I absolutely agree with them.

I do agree, I don't think I have ever seen an item go for lower than the p&p either (on any channel) so as you say Bid/PD can't be judged in the same regard as rivals. In a perfect world all shopping channels would be made advertise one price which includes the p&p.... then again imo if that happened I can see the initial phone call cost rocketing lol. No doubt theres always a plan B.

Imo channels such as QVC and IW are a totally different kettle of fish. I agree with the points Wirral made, but I think we need to consider the fast/pressured manner in which bid/pricedrop sell their goods, "You've got to hurry, or you could miss out", "The clock's ticking" etc - Viewers being encouraged to make snap decisions need to be informed clearly and reguarly how much something's going to end up costing them...more so, than a channel where they spend sometimes 10-15 on each item, often discussing it with a guest presenter, giving the viewer time to research the product online, compare prices, write down product numbers to order later, and most importantly perhaps, decide " Do I really need/want this?" Bid isn't like that, so yes they do need to be more transparent.

Indeed Merry and it goes back to my point that Sit Up's business model is unique in Shopping TV, there is nothing else like it.

And that's fine, but it's not surprising they are treated differently because they ARE different.

Very different

Last edited:
that is a good point merry

it still does not make saying you can get item a home for £40 e.t.c right though

that is a good point merry

it still does not make saying you can get item a home for £40 e.t.c right though

merry makes a very good point, wise words as always merry
I totally agree with your point too NTB, it is wrong so transparency must be across all channels and, as I've said before, complaints must be judged with consistency
the main difference, which was highlighted, is the fact that SitUp is like no other selly telly channel, it's a bit more market stall than shop front!

Latest posts

Back