Bid victimised by asa

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merry makes a very good point, wise words as always merry
I totally agree with your point too NTB, it is wrong so transparency must be across all channels and, as I've said before, complaints must be judged with consistency
the main difference, which was highlighted, is the fact that SitUp is like no other selly telly channel, it's a bit more market stall than shop front!

I'm sorry deedee but I find that post incredibly unfair.

Since when have Market Stalls charged 8 times as much as the item for a bag? :giggle:

I heard a rumour that McDonalds are going to start charging 1p for a Big Mac but the carton will cost £2.99 but I don't know if that is fact or not.:wink:

Last edited:
I am not sure i agree that because I W present in a more professional manner generally (and they do) then different rules should apply

comments such as "this will change your life" about yonanas i never heard on bid

So ... Basically ... BID TV. A FALLING price channel shouldn't sell anything for less than £7.99 ? EVER? They shouldn't sell ANYTHING for 1p ? EVER because their postage is then sooooo much more than the price? Nonsense. Utter nonsense. This is a capitalist country. If you don't like it move to Cuba!

So ... Basically ... BID TV. A FALLING price channel shouldn't sell anything for less than £7.99 ? EVER? They shouldn't sell ANYTHING for 1p ? EVER because their postage is then sooooo much more than the price? Nonsense. Utter nonsense. This is a capitalist country. If you don't like it move to Cuba!

I wasn't aware that anyone has said that Bingo.

The ASA certainly haven't. Ever.

watched two hours straight of ideal world today 11am to 1pm

postage not MENTIONED ONCE

not even p+p not the amount not anything

If the bid bosses have any sense at all they will be monitoring the standards of some of the other channels and the asa case will fall apart before it has started

I doubt the case will fall apart. Whilst Bid could make a 'possible' argument regarding P&P not being mentioned by other channels... the biggest thing going against Bid are the misleading/exaggeration of selling products/sales techniques (deployed mostly in past sales). It's not all about P&P.

What I would be interested in knowing about postage is do other channels charge multiple postage costs if you buy multiples of one item? Bid never used to mention this in the past and I'd be a bit peeved if I got a phone call asking for £71.91 for posting 9 x gold (finish) rings weighing less than 500 grams (which would cost you £6.95 via Royal Mail Special Delivery - that includes full tracking and insurance). Some older/more vulnerable members of society could possibly feel inclined/scared to pay up. Do you honestly believe this is the right behaviour from a company?

I hope Ofcom fine Bid the same as Auction World (£450,000) because their behaviour (more in the past) has been nothing short of criminal. I love the excuses Bid give to the ASA and public - it's a joke - they knew exactly what they were doing and it's wrong, immoral and dishonest... The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil (misleading the general public) is that good men do nothing.

Last edited:
I doubt the case will fall apart. Whilst Bid could make a 'possible' argument regarding P&P not being mentioned by other channels... the biggest thing going against Bid are the misleading/exaggeration of selling products/sales techniques (deployed mostly in past sales). It's not all about P&P.

What I would be interested in knowing about postage is do other channels charge multiple postage costs if you buy multiples of one item? Bid never used to mention this in the past and I'd be a bit peeved if I got a phone call asking for £71.91 for posting 9 x gold (finish) rings weighing less than 500 grams (which would cost you £6.95 via Royal Mail Special Delivery - that includes full tracking and insurance). Some older/more vulnerable members of society could possibly feel inclined/scared to pay up. Do you honestly believe this is the right behaviour from a company?

I hope Ofcom fine Bid the same as Auction World (£450,000) because their behaviour (more in the past) has been nothing short of criminal.

Ideal World charge per item but sometimes they have 'Multi Line' offers for 2 items, or 3 or more items. And for fashion they always charge £4.99 for one item, £5.98 for two and £6.99 for three or more. For standard craft products they charge £2.99 per item but cap the postage at £6.99 for 3 or more items.

QVC also charge per item but if you order more than one of the exact same product you only pay half price on each extra product. In my opinion QVC seem to charge the fairest P+P costs out of the mainstream shopping channels.

The crazy thing with Bid is their P+P for large items (like Televisions) is incredibly good value. They charge £7.99 for two ID stamps but £9.99 for a 46" TV, then again how often do they sell TV's?

Last edited:
Ideal World charge per item but sometimes they have 'Multi Line' offers for 2 items, or 3 or more items. For fashion they charge £4.99 for one item, £5.98 for two and £6.99 for three or more. For standard craft products they charge £2.99 per item but cap the postage at £6.99 for 3 or more items.

QVC also charge per item but if you order more than one of the exact same product you only pay half price on each extra product.

The crazy thing with Bid is their P+P for big items (like Televisions) is incredibly good value. Sadly such products are few and far between, and are invariably overpriced in the first place.

Yes, I agree that Bid's value on larger items are good value for money - they appear to make most profit with P&P on smaller items/£1 or 1p deals...

I thought that might be the case with other channels - i.e. charging a little more on postage if buying multiples of one product or bunching several items into a single parcel.

Yes, I agree that Bid's value on larger items are good value for money - they appear to make most profit with P&P on smaller items/£1 or 1p deals...

I thought that might be the case with other channels - i.e. charging a little more on postage if buying multiples of one product or bunching several items into a single parcel.

Gems TV only charge £2.95 per day for their standard P+P (4-5 days UK Mainland), no matter how many items you order.

TJC charge £2.95 per item for standard delivery (3-5 days), or £4.95 per day for as many items as you like.

Talking of P+P have a look at the price cards that Mark Ryes has on his items on Price Drop. Look at the VERY smallprint ha ha.

Last edited:
Some highlights, other than the P&P saga...

● A sales pitch suggested a gold-plated bracelet was solid gold.

● A presenter claimed bedding came with "free P&P" when there was a £7.99 charge.

● Fleeces were described as normally "35 quid a go" - but could be bought for £4.99 elsewhere.

● In a jewellery sale there was only one pair of earrings and three opal rings, so dozens of viewers called the £1.53 phoneline after the items had been sold.

● An auction for a fragrance claimed that it was sold in prestigious Macy's store in New York - which hadn't stocked it for two and a half years.

● A cleaning fluid auction was branded irresponsible by the watchdog for describing the product as safe to use without gloves "even if you had ultra-sensitive skin", despite having no evidence to support the claim.

● Christin Lars Watch - Presenter stated that 'You genuinely could get yourself something that is affordable, smothered in diamonds' where the reality is you get eight small diamonds in the watch.

● Ingersoll Limited Edition Chronograph Watch - Presenter Stated 'Includes a Swiss-precision mechanism'. The watch was assembled in China.

Yet the company boasts: "What really sets bid shopping apart is the amount of time and effort we spend getting to know our products."

Yes, Bid.tv - victimised, someone call Kofi Annan at the United Nations.

Last edited:

● A presenter claimed bedding came with "free P&P" when there was a £7.99 charge.

● Fleeces were described as normally "35 quid a go" - but could be bought for £4.99 elsewhere.

● In a jewellery sale there was only one pair of earrings and three opal rings, so dozens of viewers called the £1.53 phoneline after the items had been sold.

● An auction for a fragrance claimed that it was sold in prestigious Macy's store in New York - which hadn't stocked it for two and a half years.

● A cleaning fluid auction was branded irresponsible by the watchdog for describing the product as safe to use without gloves "even if you had ultra-sensitive skin", despite having no evidence to support the claim.

● Christin Lars Watch - Presenter stated that 'You genuinely could get yourself something that is affordable, smothered in diamonds' where the reality is you get eight small diamonds in the watch.

● Ingersoll Limited Edition Chronograph Watch - Presenter Stated 'Includes a Swiss-precision mechanism'. The watch was assembled in China.

Yet the company boasts: "What really sets bid shopping apart is the amount of time and effort we spend getting to know our products."

There are endless things we could drag up isn't there?

Do you remember Peter Simon used to say Laurelle 'are one of the greatest names in design' (the company that is based in an Essex Industrial Estate). He also used to claim that 'Dr' Cringles had been around for almost 20 years and 'were leaders in their field'.

And it was often implied that Christin Lars was an actual person. I remember an assistant saying 'the famous Christin Lars' and Andy Hodgson actually said, live on air, 'I must add that Christin Lars isn't an actual person'.

God bless Andy H.

There are endless things we could drag up isn't there?

Do you remember Peter Simon used to say Laurelle 'are one of the greatest names in design' (the company that is based in an Essex Industrial Estate). He also used to claim that 'Dr' Cringles had been around for almost 20 years and 'were leaders in their field'.

And it was often implied that Christin Lars was an actual person. I remember an assistant saying 'the famous Christin Lars' and Andy Hodgson actually said, live on air, 'I must add that Christin Lars isn't an actual person'.

God bless Andy H.

:giggle: Or James Russell implying that Christin Lars had his own workshop in the Swiss Alps creating unique time pieces... along with Tommy Earnshaw from down t' road. Both artisans of their time pieces are true horologists with certificates as wallpaper adorning all walls in their homes and workshops!

Reality - some poor soul in the far east paid peanuts on a sweat shop production line.

:giggle: Or James Russell implying that Christin Lars had his own workshop in the Swiss Alps creating unique time pieces... along with Tommy Earnshaw from down t' road. Both artisans of their time pieces are true horologists with certificates as wallpaper adorning all walls in their homes and workshops!

Reality - some poor soul in the far east paid peanuts on a sweat shop production line.

:giggle: You couldn't make it up (but they could!).

The way they have carried on is literally unbelievable, and even worse they got away with it for ages.

and yonanas can change your life

oh no they did not say that on bid it was ideal world

move on nothing to see here

When was this? can you substantiate this claim?

when was this? can you substantiate this claim?

presenter ACTUALLY stated 'these are 35 quid a go these' according to the latest asa decision. this is nothing more than the subjective opinion of the presenter

really? DOZENS?

so it WAS sold in the 'prestigious' macys store? the statement is about as factual as can be.

and despite evidence to disprove the claim either

well this is the most ridiculous and petty claim EVER. 8 diamonds isn't smothered? really? if another channel stated this tomorrow and someone complained the response from the ASA would be 'its subjective and the opinions of the presenter don't represent those of the channel' utter nonsense.

the watches DO include a swiss precision mechanism. the WATCH is THEN manufactured in china..., TAXI?

Yes, Bid.tv - victimised, someone call Kofi Annan at the United Nations.

Dont bother he doesn't work for them anymore

I love the irony. an angry post about BID TV exaggerating facts and being untruthful which in itself exaggerates facts and is untruthful.hilarious! i'm actually in stitches!

heres a link i think you will appreciate

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hypocrites

Ad
Teleshopping broadcasts, on Bid TV, during which presenters stated the prices of available items. For example, in relation to a sterling silver tanzanite and topaz ring, the presenter stated, "… please remember you only pay the price we stop at … just under half a carat of tanzanite for under thirty five, in fact under thirty three … under twenty five …" Various prices appeared prominently on-screen during the presentation and, at the end of the broadcast, text stated "everyone pays £24.97". Text that appeared to the left of the screen throughout the broadcast stated "0.41ct AA Grade Tanzanite & White Topaz Ring, Set In Hallmarked 925 Sterling Silver".

In another broadcast, related to a gold-plated black enamel ring, the presenter stated, "How about thirty … that's it, fiver … five pounds … under four pounds … one pound, go … for a pound, you can't get a kids' plastic sweetie ring for that can you …" Various prices appeared prominently on-screen during the presentation and, at the end of the broadcast, text stated "everyone pays £1.00". Text that appeared to the left of the screen throughout the broadcast stated "Exclusively His 18ct Gold Plated Black Enamel Ring".

Smaller text next to the prices of the items in both presentations stated "GB mainland £7.99 p&p per item". Text at the bottom of the screen, which also appeared throughout the broadcast below a larger phone number, stated "£1.53 per call from a BT landline". Scrolling text, which appeared during the first part of the presentations, included "buying is easy with bid - dial the number - listen to the message - press 1 to confirm your purchase … everyone pays the lowest price".

Issue
The complainants, who had each seen a different teleshopping broadcast on Bid TV, challenged whether the ads were misleading, because they believed the additional costs for postage and telephone calls were not made sufficiently clear

THIS WOULD NEVER BE UPHELD AGAINST ANOTHER CHANNEL. NEVER!.

It seems that you won't let 1 word of criticism be said about bid

No I don't think 8 chippings of diamonds on a watch is smothered, Id call it that when the face is covered in them and part of the strap like they used to sell in the Ingersoll range for example

As has been said many times the p&p is considerably higher than other shopping channels and I've never seen QVC for example sell anything anywhere near their p&p costs where as bid do this with most items, paying 1p for something + £7.99 p&p and £1.53 call those charges are much more significant than paying £99.99 + £7.99 for something and its right they are forced to keep reminding viewers of the true cost

The old multibuy of get 9 of these for just £9 was a shocking selling tactic and I used to work out the true cost, £9 sounds good, £82.44 does not

It seems that you won't let 1 word of criticism be said about bid

No I don't think 8 chippings of diamonds on a watch is smothered, Id call it that when the face is covered in them and part of the strap like they used to sell in the Ingersoll range for example

As has been said many times the p&p is considerably higher than other shopping channels and I've never seen QVC for example sell anything anywhere near their p&p costs where as bid do this with most items, paying 1p for something + £7.99 p&p and £1.53 call those charges are much more significant than paying £99.99 + £7.99 for something and its right they are forced to keep reminding viewers of the true cost

The old multibuy of get 9 of these for just £9 was a shocking selling tactic and I used to work out the true cost, £9 sounds good, £82.44 does not

As i have pointed out before certain posters are quick to slam bid when there is the slightest injustice by them. but when the injustice is against them those same people become incredibly philosophical and pragmatic. it goes both ways im afraid.

As i have pointed out before certain posters are quick to slam bid when there is the slightest injustice by them. but when the injustice is against them those same people become incredibly philosophical and pragmatic. it goes both ways im afraid.

But with respect Bingo, and as far as i'm aware, none of the posters on this forum are selling anything. And I wasn't aware that any of our posts have to adhere to formal regualtory standards.

But the fact is, as detailed and backed up with hard evidence in this thread, that Sit Up have persistently breached the UK Code of Broadcast Advertising. You have also claimed that other broadcasters have done the same. However, while I don't doubt you for a moment it is noticeable that at this stage you have not provided much tangible evidence to reinforce your claims.

I note from the thread linked to below that you made 5 complaints relating to Gems TV on 13 June 2013 so hopefully, when adjudicated, these complaints will be able to support your allegations and I for one will certainly applaud you for highlighting any wrongdoing.

In the meantime have the ASA notified you of their intention to formally investigate your complaints?

Cheers Bings :happy:

http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?42014-Are-Bid-Shopping-now-worse-than-Auction-World-tv/page2

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back