Bid victimised by asa

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

As i have pointed out before certain posters are quick to slam bid when there is the slightest injustice by them. but when the injustice is against them those same people become incredibly philosophical and pragmatic. it goes both ways im afraid.

I can see that you're :headbang: with this thread, trying to drive your point home, and that is whilst Bid are bad, but they're no worse than any of the other channels. Firstly, I think a lot of us have given damn good reasons as to why the bid shopping format needs to be more upfront about its charges, more perhaps that the regular channels, and that's it really. As for the other channels, they may also be bad, so instead of coming onto the bid forum to defend the undefendable. Why not start a thread on the IW forum about their shortcomings, or report them to the ASA?

But with respect Bingo, and as far as i'm aware, none of the posters on this forum are selling anything. And I wasn't aware that any of our posts have to adhere to formal regualtory standards.

But the fact is, as detailed and backed up with hard evidence in this thread, that Sit Up have persistently breached the UK Code of Broadcast Advertising.

Obviously this is the case. my point. which i will continue to make is this. the response i received by the ASA dismissed complaints against another channel which they had been UPHELD against BID. this rubbishes the 'pile' of complaints BID has as the regulator doesn't feel they have to enforce the same rules against another channel. it is NOT an even playing field.

You have also claimed that other broadcasters have done the same. However, while I don't doubt you for a moment it is noticeable that at this stage you have not provided much tangible evidence to reinforce your claims.

maybe flick over and watch for 5 minutes? i watched IW world last night who were claiming to be offering a £10 discount on yonanas by selling it at £49.99. (usually £59.99) they have never sold it at £59.99 and i cant find anyone who has. it is a misleading price reference. imagine if bID did that? i have lodged a complaint but i am confident it will be dismissed. even though a similar complaint was upheld against BID recently.

I note from the thread linked to below that you made 5 complaints relating to Gems TV on 13 June 2013 so hopefully, when adjudicated, these complaints will be able to support your allegations and I for one will certainly applaud you for highlighting any wrongdoing.

In the meantime have the ASA notified you of their intention to formally investigate your complaints?

I lodged complaints which mirrored complaints upheld against BID TV. all have been dismissed. for me. the most damning insight is the one that states 'the views of the presenter are subjective and dont represent the views of the channel' thats a pretty outlandish stance for the ASA to take and makes a nonsense of a great number of the rulings.

Cheers Bings :happy:

http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?42014-Are-Bid-Shopping-now-worse-than-Auction-World-tv/page2

I am not disputing BID have been bad. they clearly have. some of the complaints are indefensible. but some of them are just petty, pedantic or based on little more than semantics. and given the response to me by the ASA a great many of the complaints have been made into a nonsense.

I am not disputing BID have been bad. they clearly have. some of the complaints are indefensible. but some of them are just petty, pedantic or based on little more than semantics. and given the response to me by the ASA a great many of the complaints have been made into a nonsense.

I personally find it hard to believe that all five of your complaints against Gems TV were dismissed without good reason, but that is just my opinion. However, when I have complained I have done so because there was absolutely no doubt the presenter misled the viewer. For example:-

James Russell, in two separate sales, claimed a £80 Yarvik Tablet came preloaded with full versions of Microsoft Office, adding 'these are not trials, you get the full versions'

Chris Birkett claimed the £10 Credit could be withdrawn at any point in the day and pressurised viewers to buy now, despite the T&C's clearly stating the promotion ran until the early hours of the next day with no caveat that it could be withdrawn before the stated end time

Guy Kean said you cannot use a rooftop aerial to receive Freeview and that you need a product like the Indoor Aerial he was selling

There was no ambiguity in my complaints so I hope that proves i'm not trigger happy!

Last edited:
Most people on here have it in for Bid. They would be very happy
for the presenters & staff with families to support to be out of
a job. It's that simple. Nothing to do with the company/bosses
products/decisions.

The presenters are 'front line' and when making complaints we can hardly involve the bosses in them. When the complaints go through the main bosses see them which would not happen if we put a complaint through to bid CS.

Considering there's no script or auto cue & a short time to
research items, I think most of them do a good job.
Cue.... 'Troll ' responses....

No excuse. Not enough time? Make the shifts shorter or more time to research? Do you really think "Sorry ASA but due to restraints on research time we make mistakes which would not happen if we had more time." They would laugh in your face!

my retort to that is

surely companies working in the same field are judged by the same or at least similar standards?

it appears that is not the case here

Gems have £2.95 P&P ALL DAY so technically if you have bought something it would be under £30, while bids is £7.99 for each item which is far too high. In addition when bids was upheld, you couldnt even read their P&P charges as they were too small, and presenters (mike being the worst) saying things like "These are 1p...multibuy 5 and flog 'em for £5 each making you a tidy profit". Yeah right Mike. How can you justify that? If that isnt CON I dont know what is!

Gems have £2.95 P&P ALL DAY so technically if you have bought something it would be under £30, while bids is £7.99 for each item which is far too high. In addition when bids was upheld, you couldnt even read their P&P charges as they were too small, and presenters (mike being the worst) saying things like "These are 1p...multibuy 5 and flog 'em for £5 each making you a tidy profit". Yeah right Mike. How can you justify that? If that isnt CON I dont know what is!

Indeed Benny, before the clamp down on P+P Mike Mason's multibuy sales were often nothing short of a disgrace, i'd say he should be ashamed of himself but I suspect i'd be wasting my breath.

And Sally was bad too, and Caroline Lyndsay and certainly the atrocious Nicola George. In fact most of them were (except of course Andy Hodgson).

I'm confident that no other current channel has even remotely behaved in that way and I politely challenge the naysayers to prove otherwise.

Last edited:
If you look at other shopping channels, Bid's P&P prices are
shown approx. X3 larger than others. I think it's quite obvious
& not misleading in any way. People may not like the amount,
but it cannot be said it was not made clear, visibly on screen
& vocally by presenter.

But if it wasn't for an ASA complaint it would still be the minuscule writing it was, and it would sill not be vocalised. Infact if you look at IW their P&P charges are the same size.

so because ideal world only charge £4.99 or similar they are allowed to say

"get this home today for just £40"

sorry but that is complete poppycock

Most of the time they will say "get if home for £xx + your P&P then your next monthly installments" In fact Genevive just said it as I wrote the post! What is IW P&P on this item? £0.77.

Talking to myself here but

it IS NOT the ASA job to say bid charge to much in postage it is a free market and whilst i think it is to high it is not illegal

No, but as it is more they should be expected to make it clearer than channels who charge £3-5.

Most of the time they will say "get if home for £xx + your P&P then your next monthly installments" In fact Genevive just said it as I wrote the post! What is IW P&P on this item? £0.77.

I'm almost certain that's what they have said when I have taken advantage of a Flexipay purchase, which I have done on many occasions. I have never been in any doubt what my first total payment would be.

Dont bother he doesn't work for them anymore

I love the irony. an angry post about BID TV exaggerating facts and being untruthful which in itself exaggerates facts and is untruthful.hilarious! i'm actually in stitches!

heres a link i think you will appreciate

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hypocrites

The claims I wrote are not my own, just some I found as examples received by the ASA which were acted upon (simple Google). Bid have even admitted they were in the wrong with some of those examples I listed.

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications.aspx?SearchTerms=sit-up#results

Anyway I really think you need to contact the ASA and make a formal complaint to them if you feel so strongly about the subject. I'm sure Ofcom will be going through every single complaint to validate/ensure fair action has been taken.

The ASA aren't there to persecute companies - more to advise and ensure fairness in advertising etc. Bid (as far as I know) haven't been fined by the ASA. However, with Bid not adhering to the ASA's rulings in some cases have been the authors of their own misfortune (which has led to the Ofcom referral).

I blame the management team more than the presenters for what it's worth.

Last edited:
The claims I wrote are not my own, just some I found as examples as complaints received by the ASA which were acted upon (simple Google).

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications.aspx?SearchTerms=sit-up#results

Anyway I really think you need to contact the ASA and make a formal complaint to them if you feel so strongly about the subject. I'm sure Ofcom will be going through every single complaint to validate/ensure fair action has been taken.

The ASA aren't there to persecute companies - more to advise and ensure fairness in advertising etc. Bid (as far as I know) haven't been fined by the ASA. However, with Bid not adhering to the ASA's rulings in some cases have been the authors of their own misfortune (which has led to the Ofcom referral).

I blame the management team more than the presenters for what it's worth.

The blame lies firmly at the feet of Management, there is absolutely no doubt about it. I think they have hired certain presenters (probably on the cheap) that simply do not possess the necessary skills to present live television for over three hours, selling products at a very fast pace, in a compliant manner. And heaven knows what kind of pressure they have been put under. However, and to be blunt, that isn't our problem.

And it's worth remembering that the ASA are (of course) an evidence based regulator. Without evidence to back up a complaint they cannot take action and I think it's fair to say there have been several claims made throughout this thread that simply don't stand up to scrutiny.

All I can say is if you are going to complain (about any advertiser) you must be absolutely certain of your facts.

Looking through some of the ASA complaints Bid even mention about 'compliance training' so whoever is giving the training should be receiving their P45!!

You'd think that even with one ASA upheld ruling that they'd be telling producers/directors/presenters to be extremely careful and watch/listen to what is being said and ensure they are fully compliant. In most cases it's basic common sense. I'm almost certain they will have rehearsals with regards selling items. Whether that's true or not I don't know but my gut feeling is they know exactly what they are doing and like to literally skate on thin ice to make that sale.

Don't get me started on their customer service team who like to sell people more bargains on the phone (which costs £99 for the year to enter the Bid.tv 'club') - is that still being offered?

Looking through some of the ASA complaints Bid even mention about 'compliance training' so whoever is giving the training should be receiving their P45!!

You'd think that even with one ASA upheld ruling that they'd be telling producers/directors/presenters to be extremely careful and watch/listen to what is being said and ensure they are fully compliant. In most cases it's basic common sense. I'm almost certain they will have rehearsals with regards selling items. Whether that's true or not I don't know but my gut feeling is they know exactly what they are doing and like to literally skate on thin ice to make that sale.

Don't get me started on their customer service team who like to sell people more bargains on the phone (which costs £99 for the year to enter the Bid.tv 'club') - is that still being offered?

I honestly believe that there are some presenters that, no matter how much training they receive, they are simply not up to the job. And that is Management's fault.

On the rare occasion I order nowadays I try my best to bypass Customer Services by using the website. And if they call me touting tatt I just hang up!

Last edited:
I honestly believe that there are some presenters that, no matter how much training they receive, they are simply not up to the job. And that is Management's fault.

On the rare occasion I order nowadays I try my best to bypass Customer Services by using the website. And if they call me touting tatt I just hang up!

Yes, I received a call last week from a charming young man from Bid tv, and refreshingly, (sorry) English seemed to be his first language. This is a courtesy call from bid, were you happy with your last order etc, then he went on to say "As a good customer we would like to....for a split second, I thought they were going to offer me a geniune reward..ha ha! - offer you a chance to join our savers club!..Er No thanks, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes - Goodbye!

Yes, I received a call last week from a charming young man from Bid tv, and refreshingly, (sorry) English seemed to be his first language. This is a courtesy call from bid, were you happy with your last order etc, then he went on to say "As a good customer we would like to....for a split second, I thought they were going to offer me a geniune reward..ha ha! - offer you a chance to join our savers club!..Er No thanks, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes - Goodbye!

Been there, done it, hung up!

I can't slate them for trying as they are certainly not alone, Ideal World do the exact same thing with their Extras Club.

Latest posts

Back