Bid victimised by asa

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

bingowings

Registered Shopper
Bid victimised

After receiving a reply from the ASA for some complaints i lodged against OTHER shopping channels its seems pretty clear to me that BID are being victimised by the ASA. if the same complaints had of been lodged against BID there is no doubt in my mind they would have been upheld.

examples:

1) You mention that you consider that the presentation of a deal described as ‘incomparable’, stating that trade buyers might purchase the product and as something that the presenter considered viewers would not get an opportunity similar to again to be misleading. While we appreciate your concern, these claims in the context of a teleshopping presentation would appear more likely to be subjective and generally understood as the presenter’s opinion, rather than objective claims which we could justifiably ask for substantiation for. Consequently, we do not propose to take further action on these specific points.

If it was BID the opinions of the presenter would without doubt represent the opinions of the channel would never be dismissed as just 'subjective'

2) You mention that a presenter stated that the price of a piece of jewellery advertised was under £30; I understand you object to this as postage costs would put the final cost above this level. While we appreciate your concern, we do not consider that this is something which is likely to generally mislead consumers to their detriment. We note that the price of postage and packaging is made clear onscreen

I think we all know what would happen if BID ran an 'under £30' promotion but didn't mention the p&p and didn't take it into account with their promotion. why is it enough for another channel to just put the extra costs on screen but BID have to verbally tell the audience each product? because they are more expensive? thats nonsense. either you have to mention p&p or you dont!

3) Regarding your concerns about a rose gold and sterling silver ring, which you believed was misleadingly suggested to be solid gold, we note that text onscreen did state “rose gold flash sterling silver” and understand that the presenter did not specify that the ring was solid gold. However, our contact at 'the channel acknowledged that the presenter could have made clearer the fact that the ring was plated silver, and has taken steps to make sure that this is clarified in future, similar presentations.

At no point in the sell did the presenter say it was plated. onscreen it said simply 9ct gold 925 and at the bottom it said 9ct gold 'flash' sterling silver. i have never heard 'plated' called 'flash' before. and the channel in question seems to be able to call plated gold plated gold the rest of the time. If bid did this it would be an upheld complaint. guaranteed!

This is clearly a witch hunt against BID TV. how can it possibly be one rule for one company and another rule for another? i know you are going to list the wrong doings of bid tv. but they are no worse than other channels. the difference is they are being found guilty while others are getting off scott free.the rules should be enforced FOR EVERY CHANNEL OR NONE AT ALL! they clearly have it in for BID!

Last edited:
Most people on here have it in for Bid. They would be very happy
for the presenters & staff with families to support to be out of
a job. It's that simple. Nothing to do with the company/bosses
products/decisions. The presenters get the brunt of it.
Considering there's no script or auto cue & a short time to
research items, I think most of them do a good job.
Cue.... 'Troll ' responses....

heavy favourite is

"this is the bid forum not other shopping telly forum"

my retort to that is

surely companies working in the same field are judged by the same or at least similar standards?

it appears that is not the case here

Bingo I explained to you why your complaints wouldn't be upheld before you submitted them.

Your no.2 point is really bad imo, how many times have Bid/PD said an item will be going under a certain price... but it didn't once you add the p&p? probably thousands. Bid & PD have never had a complaint upheld about that.. so what made you think Gems would?

After receiving a reply from the ASA for some complaints i lodged against OTHER shopping channels its seems pretty clear to me that BID are being victimised by the ASA. if the same complaints had of been lodged against BID there is no doubt in my mind they would have been upheld.

examples:

1) You mention that you consider that the presentation of a deal described as ‘incomparable’, stating that trade buyers might purchase the product and as something that the presenter considered viewers would not get an opportunity similar to again to be misleading. While we appreciate your concern, these claims in the context of a teleshopping presentation would appear more likely to be subjective and generally understood as the presenter’s opinion, rather than objective claims which we could justifiably ask for substantiation for. Consequently, we do not propose to take further action on these specific points.

If it was BID the opinions of the presenter would without doubt represent the opinions of the channel would never be dismissed as just 'subjective'

2) You mention that a presenter stated that the price of a piece of jewellery advertised on the 13th June was under £30; I understand you object to this as postage costs would put the final cost above this level. While we appreciate your concern, we do not consider that this is something which is likely to generally mislead consumers to their detriment. We note that the price of postage and packaging is made clear onscreen

I think we all know what would happen if BID ran an 'under £30' promotion but didn't mention the p&p and didn't take it into account with their promotion. why is it enough for another channel to just put the extra costs on screen but BID have to verbally tell the audience each product? because they are more expensive? thats nonsense. either you have to mention p&p or you dont!

3) Regarding your concerns about a rose gold and sterling silver ring, which you believed was misleadingly suggested to be solid gold, we note that text onscreen did state “rose gold flash sterling silver” and understand that the presenter did not specify that the ring was solid gold. However, our contact at Gems TV acknowledged that the presenter could have made clearer the fact that the ring was plated silver, and has taken steps to make sure that this is clarified in future, similar presentations.

At no point in the sell did the presenter say it was plated. onscreen it said simply 9ct gold 925 and at the bottom it said 9ct gold 'flash' sterling silver. i have never heard 'plated' called 'flash' before. and the channel in question seems to be able to call plated gold plated gold the rest of the time. If bid did this it would be an upheld complaint. guaranteed!

This is clearly a witch hunt against BID TV. how can it possibly be one rule for one company and another rule for another? i know you are going to list the wrong doings of bid tv. but they are no worse than other channels. the difference is they are being found guilty while others are getting off scott free.the rules should be enforced FOR EVERY CHANNEL OR NONE AT ALL! they clearly have it in for BID!

If you are unhappy with the ASA why not launch a complaint?

i will not mention the channel but today i have heard at least 6 times

"you can get this home today for £40 (example) and then two further payments in the future"

not even a reference to p +p or even phone call charges

That is one area that is not grey at all

sorry mobo had not seen the post but my reply makes sense anyway

also see my yonanas post the other day "this could change your life"

The ASA ironically banned me from making complaints as i had made to many about yes you guessed it Bid

Bingo, can you copy/paste in the official ASA adjudication link please?

There are currently 3 upheld/1 partly upheld complaints against Gems TV from the past couple of years so they do take action where necessary?

Is it possible you could copy/paste in your complaints so we can see first hand exactly what is going on?

Auction World had 1,000 ASA complaints so I think the number of complaints against Bid are a drop in the ocean... :cheeky: Maybe you should start a post about Auction World being victimised?

p.s. By stating that Bid are being 'victimised' are you condoning that Bid have done absolutely nothing wrong in their sales techniques?

Last edited:
Personally, I just wish people would complain
about the right people & for the right reasons.
I have watched Bid for years' back when it started. I've
never felt any need to officially complain. I've been in sales &
know how hard it is, but never on TV which is even harder.
Some complaints have been well warranted, but other are just
'Nit picking' after all, as a sales person you are employed
to 'sell' and make an item seem fabulous. That's your job. Whatever
you are given to sell. The sale is dependent on the
customer. I think the shopping channels are given
a hard time.

Personally, I just wish people would complain
about the right people & for the right reasons.
I have watched Bid for years' back when it started. I've
never felt any need to officially complain. I've been in sales &
know how hard it is, but never on TV which is even harder.
Some complaints have been well warranted, but other are just
'Nit picking' after all, as a sales person you are employed
to 'sell' and make an item seem fabulous. That's your job. Whatever
you are given to sell. The sale is dependent on the
customer. I think the shopping channels are given
a hard time.

I don't think there is any 'right people' to complain about. I would complain about any one of them who I think makes an inappropriate sale although I accept you are far more likely to find issue with some presenters than others. On the other side of the coin the most serious complaints (in my opinion) that I have made haven't involved the usual suspects at all.

As for complaining for the right reason, I think the ASA are the best judge of that. If it isn't valid it will be thrown out. I can only speak for myself but I will only ever complain if something is blatantly amiss and that isn't just likely to mislead the viewer, it is definitely misleading the viewer.

Last edited:
Bingo, M&M, I totally agree with your sentiments here. It is grossly unfair if the ASA not to apply the same standards consistently with each complaint, regardless of the channel. There should be fair and non discriminatory criteria for judging complaints and deciding an outcome. It would be wrong of them to treat one channel more harshly or unfairly than another.

I have seen it posted before that because bid "have history" in terms of complaints logged they should be treated differently by the asa.

I very much hope the asa do not share this attitude but in seems they may

Hi Mobo
Do you think if BID where guilty of the comPlaints LISTED they would have been dismissed? NOT stating gold plated is gold plated? Using some unheard of term such as 'flash' instead of plated? That's emission surely? Claiming 'the trade will be buying and you won't get a better deal? Only for the ASA to say it was a throw away statement by the presenter? Come on Mobo, surely you can see there are double standards here?

I don't think there is any 'right people' to complain about. I would complain about any one of them who I think makes an inappropriate sale although I accept you are far more likely to find issue with some presenters than others. On the other side of the coin the most serious complaints (in my opinion) that I have made haven't involved the usual suspects at all.

As for complaining for the right reason, I think the ASA are the best judge of that. If it isn't valid it will be thrown out. I can only speak for myself but I will only ever complain if something is blatantly amiss and that isn't just likely to mislead the viewer, it is definitely misleading the viewer.

According to the ASA BID should NEVER have to mention the p&p EVER again As it is clear on the screen? Well, if BID was ANY other channel that would be the case! I know you can't possibly agree with that Wirral?

If you look at other shopping channels, Bid's P&P prices are
shown approx. X3 larger than others. I think it's quite obvious
& not misleading in any way. People may not like the amount,
but it cannot be said it was not made clear, visibly on screen
& vocally by presenter.

it is quite amusing how the only person who ever mentions postage costs on another shopping channel is an ex price drop presenter

Also the other channels charge a fair postage that in some cases are half or less than bids, that's why bid should keep dating it more.

Latest posts

Back