Bidders beware....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Penny Pincher

Registered Shopper
Firstly let me say that I am really pleased that Argey managed to get her problem with cancelled orders sorted out. I wish I had been so lucky. So now a cautionary tale….… I also ordered from the rising auction on the 6th February. It was an extraordinary auction, suddenly pages and pages of really nice items arrived on the site. I must say I probably did get a bit carried away, but I still had some Christmas money and so I thought I would splurge. I didn’t really think that I would get as many items as I did, but I won loads of items, many of them like those we used to get from TJC in the “Good Old Days” really good quality items. It was an expensive basket at over £200, but I was really excited by the pieces so I went for it all. I checked out and paid my money….then waited…and waited… no contact, the orders were showing “Payment Taken”… finally after 9 days I contacted them, and was told it would be sorted that day. My orders arrived yesterday…together, another case of pay two P& P get one delivery...excitedly I opened the packages to find that..... 36 items were missing…. I asked about alternatives… nothing…I even pointed out that there was a virtually identical ring for sale in their catalogue. Only to be told that the silver weight on that ring was 10% more than the ring I had ordered…So now I know my value to TJC as a customer who has spent thousands of pounds with them, I am worth less than a gram of silver or about 50p…

Thanks guys… nice to know you care….

Last edited:
I have tried just about everyone, aside from the Managing Director, I've had emails from Mike Wall and from Rupinder, but I just keep getting the same answer." Very sorry, we know we have a problem and we're dealing with it...." in the meantime my blood pressure goes through the roof...I'm an old fashioned person, and I don't believe you should offer something for sale if you don't have it, let alone take the money for it....

Thats not good PP, hope they manage to sort it out for you. I recently won a few auctions too (3 different days) I have received 2 orders and the third one is on its way. Its annoying and frustrating if you don't receive the items specially if they were at a bargain price!

Hi Gals
Ordered a larimar tennis bracelet,3/3.pick of the show @11am,£129 quite a "considered purchase"for me,waited for an email to say it had been dispatched checked "my account",was invoiced ,money take from account same day.
Emailed TJC "where's my stuff",apparantly this is a pre-order and isn't received by them so will take longer,their web site has it listed as in stock.
When I buy from QVC a pre-order is not charged until they have it in stock ready to send and I am not happy about not being informed it was a pre-order and still no indication if WHEN it will be dispatched.
Will wait a little longer,as I do like it but if no joy will try the wonderful Rupinder.

Is this even legal, selling items that aren't in stock? A deposit is one thing but full payment sounds like they're using their customers as a bank. xxxxx

Is this even legal, selling items that aren't in stock? A deposit is one thing but full payment sounds like they're using their customers as a bank. xxxxx

I think this is terrible, should'nt be aloud to take full payment unless the item is in stock. It does sound like their using their customers as a bank.
At Qvc, if the item isn't in stock, they don't take any money from you untill they have dispatched the item. ( perhaps there feeling the credit crunch,but aren't we all ):wonder:

Hi all

I bought some RG jewellery recently and it arrived very quickly....very pleased! :grin:
On Monday this week, I called my bank to find out why the deposit for a holiday I booked last week was not showing up on the balance. We went through all recent activities in my account....well another surprise from TJC! I had the jewellery in front of me and my money was still in the bank...allocated funds ....not collected. Same applied to my holiday funds allocated with authorisation code waiting to go!

Very strange, news to me, I thought paying by debit card was like paying cash out immediately!

Its up to the customer!!
I personally wouldn't pay to buy any stuff if it's out of stock!!

There is a difference between buying online and buying over the phone and I wonder here about how often the database updates or how the basket functions.

Just by putting an item in a basket does not take its availability off the website with some carts. With QVC and other sites, you're given a half hour grace period in which to checkout. But not all websites have a 'cart idle' set up like this.

If they don't have this, or it fails, then in theory you can end up checking out goods that are not in fact available at the time of checkout. Some carts will empty the basket of the no longer available goods and it can be that the only way you realise you've lost goods out of the basket is when you reach payment.

So it does sound like a basket fail. Not your fault of course, but all online retailers do have disclaimers regarding tech failures. Goods are an 'invitation to treat' and retailers don't even have to sell you stuff if they don't want to. This said, it doesn't make for good CS.

Latest posts

Back