Bid's 13th birthday celebrations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I genuinely haven't seen anything in a general sale this weekend (that's to say a sale that dosen't have the phonelines locked and a very low quantity, i.e. a lottery) that could be considered a brilliant bargain.

And of course all the item prices have been bumped up with the 13p P+P items. The Car Mirror that always sells for £1 + £7.99 P+P just went with Andy H for £4.99 plus 13p P+P. Cheaper yes but still incredibly expensive for the same or similar item that has been sold in Poundland. And it's more than obvious that a glut of these 13p P+P items are on 14 working day delivery too.

But as ever it's upto the punter what they consider good value. Happy Birthday Bid!

I genuinely haven't seen anything in a general sale this weekend (that's to say a sale that dosen't have the phonelines locked and a very low quantity, i.e. a lottery) that could be considered a brilliant bargain.

And of course all the item prices have been bumped up with the 13p P+P items. The Car Mirror that always sells for £1 + £7.99 P+P just went with Andy H for £4.99 plus 13p P+P. Cheaper yes but still incredibly expensive for the same or similar item that has been sold in Poundland. And it's more than obvious that a glut of these 13p P+P items are on 14 working day delivery too.

But as ever it's upto the punter what they consider good value. Happy Birthday Bid!

The lottery is about 10 times worse on Price Drop, I'm surprised it's legal.

There's been quite a lot of expensive items in the clearance where only one or two were in stock, and they've hyped in up before hand that it'll be a quid. Followed by a boast that hundreds of people missed out. It really is just a raffle at that point.

The lottery is about 10 times worse on Price Drop, I'm surprised it's legal.

There's been quite a lot of expensive items in the clearance where only one or two were in stock, and they've hyped in up before hand that it'll be a quid. Followed by a boast that hundreds of people missed out. It really is just a raffle at that point.

The old trick of saying there are XX amount of callers on the lines to pressurise viewers but when the sale closes nowhere near that amount of items were sold has risen it's ugly head again too.

I let you all decide which presenter is the most likely culprit :giggle:

The old trick of saying there are XX amount of callers on the lines to pressurise viewers but when the sale closes nowhere near that amount of items were sold has risen it's ugly head again too.

I let you all decide which presenter is the most likely culprit :giggle:

I wonder would it be the same one who regularly says 'these are gonna go these, these are gonna go'........clock counts down, there's nigh on loads left

I wonder would it be the same one who regularly says 'these are gonna go these, these are gonna go'........clock counts down, there's loads left

Basically it's the one who says just about anything that springs to mind, factual or not.

Carat Weight? A mere minor detail.
Type of Metal? Who cares.
Heritage of a brand? Irrelevant poppycock :giggle:

How was using a price comparison from allbeauty.com misleading and biased?

Do tell Bingo, enthral us all with your acumen.

Well. You chose to highlight A clearly dubious web only company (why else would a company change their name if it's not dodgy) who I would imagine most bid customers have never heard of or would never use. You pointed to a cheap price to highlight how expensive BID are and neglected to mention companies which sell the product for the same or more. Thus showing clear bias through a misleading comparison. I personally think any comparison either by you or by bid should be from companies which are known or accessible to the bid tv viewers. Considering the bid tv demographic I don't believe a little known and dubious web retailer is a fair comparison.

Thank you and good night

Peter is doing a lovely monologue right now. Well, it seems lovely for him. At least he amuses himself.

Well lets see how this works out. They are doing all items until 9.30pm for £13 or less AND with a £13 credit (T&C's apply).

Well. You chose to highlight A clearly dubious web only company (why else would a company change their name if it's not dodgy) who I would imagine most bid customers have never heard of or would never use. You pointed to a cheap price to highlight how expensive BID are and neglected to mention companies which sell the product for the same or more. Thus showing clear bias through a misleading comparison. I personally think any comparison either by you or by bid should be from companies which are known or accessible to the bid tv viewers. Considering the bid tv demographic I don't believe a little known and dubious web retailer is a fair comparison.

Thank you and good night

Bid have changed their name, twice. Speed Auction changed it's name to Bid Plus. And Sit-Up also changed their name to Bid Shopping. Goodnight :giggle:

CheapSmells changed their name because they now sell many more beauty products than just fragrances. As for them being a little known, dubious or even dodgy company? CheapSmells have been trading since 2004, have approaching a million customers and have over 4000 reviews on Trust Pilot who rate them at 9.5/10 (excellent), they have also been commended by Which? Magazine. Even for you Bings that post is seriously lacking in fact and that is saying something!

Anyway, moving onto reality. Dirty Peter is very excited tonight, he could hardly control himself over some silver. But here come the ANGELS................

Last edited:
Someone just tweeted that all bid presenters are morons or something like that, Peter said we are and thank you for your comment we take it to heart and then asked for the persons name who was Arthur

Someone just tweeted that all bid presenters are morons or something like that, Peter said we are and thank you for your comment we take it to heart and then asked for the persons name who was Arthur

That's unfair.

They aren't all morons :giggle:

Peter is doing a lovely monologue right now. Well, it seems lovely for him. At least he amuses himself.

Well lets see how this works out. They are doing all items until 9.30pm for £13 or less AND with a £13 credit (T&C's apply).

Credit can only be redeemed on items greater than £13 excluding P&P.

Credit will be applied to qualifying accounts by 07:45 15/10/13 and will expire at 01:30 19/10/13

Credit can only be redeemed on items greater than £13 excluding P&P.

Credit will be applied to qualifying accounts by 07:45 15/10/13 and will expire at 01:30 19/10/13

Cue the ID Stamps and Egg Cookers for 4 days :giggle:

Just look at him with the massage cushion, he's slobbering and his tongue is all over the place :puke:

Last edited:
Bid have changed their name, twice. Speed Auction changed it's name to Bid Plus. And Sit-Up also changed their name to Bid Shopping. Goodnight :giggle:

CheapSmells changed their name because they now sell many more beauty products than just fragrances. As for them being a little known, dubious or even dodgy company? CheapSmells have been trading since 2004, have approaching a million customers and have over 4000 reviews on Trust Pilot who rate them at 9.5/10 (excellent), they have also been commended by Which? Magazine. Even for you Bings that post is seriously lacking in fact and that is saying something!

Anyway, moving onto reality. Dirty Peter is very excited tonight, he could hardly control himself over some silver. But here come the ANGELS................

Well if you don't mind handing your cash to a jersey based tax dodge company. They have plenty of poor reviews too. Although I wouldn't expect you to mention that. The fact of the matter remains. You selected a company for comparison that doesn't give a fair representation of the Market.

Well if you don't mind handing your cash to a jersey based tax dodge company. They have plenty of poor reviews too. Although I wouldn't expect you to mention that. The fact of the matter remains. You selected a company for comparison that doesn't give a fair representation of the Market.

And choosing a company that factors in the cost of credit in their prices is a fair comparison? Behave yourself.

You have made some pretty wild claims about allbeauty.com Bingo, I hope for your sake their Lawyers aren't reading your comments as you might have to back them up with some facts (which is not easy for some people!).

You would choose the obscure web retailer who are so Dodgy they have just had to change their trading name lol. Good luck with that lol

You're dedication to Bid is impeccable! I'll give you credit* for that.

*Credit can only be redeemed on items greater than £13 excluding P&P.

Here's a sale that you might wish to comment on Bingkins. Last night Birkett was selling a Pulsar PT3431X1 watch and used a comparison from a company called the British Watch Company, their price was £110.50 delivered which they found on the internet (presumably using google). The strange thing is that when you google the exact model number the very first comparison that comes up is from another company (The Watch Shop) for £65 delivered with the British Watch Company result coming a bit further down the page. Going from your comments about me using unfair comparisons from 'obscure' companies I think it's fair to say that neither the British Watch Company or The Watch Shop are exactly as high profile as say H Samuel.

The crazy thing is that Price-Drop sold it for a great price anyway (£47.98 delivered) which is much cheaper than anywhere I could see. Surely you must agree that when they are almost always choosing THE most expensive price as a comparison (and even when that retailer isn't what some people might consider a household name which you suggested is unfair) it ceases to be a genuine comparison. At best it's not very transparent Bingo, in fact I think it's very unfair. But on this particular occasion they didn't even need to do it as their price was great anyway.

Their comparison

http://www.britishwatchcompany.com/mens-chronograph-bracelet-watch-PT3431X1-p10338

Google search results using the exact model number

https://www.google.co.uk/#es_sm=93&espv=210&psj=1&q=pulsar+PT3431X1&safe=off

Price-Drop final price

http://www.price-drop.tv/Pulsar-Men%27s-Chronograph-Leather-Watch/PreviousAuctionProductPage.aspx?Cat=15&SubCat=38&Offer=5483390

Last edited:
Hi Wirral
I fully agree. I think a price comparison should be with more than one company (assuming it's sold by more than one company) and be with companies that are known by the audience and acessable by the audience. A web only retailer is none of the above. I don't want to make a generalisation, but looking at the names at the bottom of the screen I believe a large portion of bids viewers are senior citizens and not web shoppers. A comparison should feature a high street retailer as well as a web retailer. I think the same rule should apply here too Wirral. Don't you agree? I have read coutkess posts dismissing the value at bid by showing links to eBay shops. Again. This is an unfair comparison.

Hi Wirral
I fully agree. I think a price comparison should be with more than one company (assuming it's sold by more than one company) and be with companies that are known by the audience and acessable by the audience. A web only retailer is none of the above. I don't want to make a generalisation, but looking at the names at the bottom of the screen I believe a large portion of bids viewers are senior citizens and not web shoppers. A comparison should feature a high street retailer as well as a web retailer. I think the same rule should apply here too Wirral. Don't you agree? I have read coutkess posts dismissing the value at bid by showing links to eBay shops. Again. This is an unfair comparison.

It looks like both of those companies only have one store each which is where they are based so I guess if you are lucky enough to live in Coventry or Reading you could class them as a High Street retailer.

I think having a web retailer and a high street retailer for comparison purposes is a great idea. Unfortunately their two seemingly favoured points of reference for comparisons (very.co.uk and littlewoods.com) are Home Shopping Catalogue/Web Retailers but their prices must surely include a premium for the cost of being able to spread the cost over a certain period?

I'm going to do some research on this subject. In their defence they are not the only company who use Home Shopping catalogues as a comparison but I genuinely believe that it just can't be a fair and transparent practice to use such companies, or conveniently pick the very highest price they can find. Anyone of fair mind must see that cannot possibly be fair.

Whether it's against any rules is a different matter altogether, I may well think it's unfair but that obviously dosen't mean they are doing anything 'wrong', even if it could be considered somewhat underhand.

I think we need some clarification so i'll endeavour to find some.

Last edited:
Tonight they are selling the Cerruti for £11.99 delivered which is an excellent buy and not a dodgy price comparison in sight.

Very, very good indeed.

Latest posts

Back