Bit of piste here.........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Just finished watching the film Elephant Walk (1955), and the costume designer of Liz Taylor's outfits was top Hollywood designer Edith Head.

Most if not all of her designs could be worn today - stunning. Simply cut, mid length, and with pockets, so when Liz walk with hands in her pockets its the epitome of chic. Ok there are no Edith Heads today, but why todays 'designer' can't look back at the old movies and get inspiration is beyond me.

Even QVC fashion could be replicated - ok, yes in the dreaded poly/elastene, but even so, why pockets are not put in as standard is also beyond me. I've ditched any dresses in my wardrobe that don't have them.

images

I totally agree! In Brighton where I live there's a huge amount of vintage shops where I've been lucky enough to scoop up some lovely things. There are also a lot of boutiques selling vintage style clothing, but I'd say 90% of the stuff has a bold print of some sort on it. I've got nothing against that but I would like to see the understated elegance of yesteryear reflected in the clothes of today. I also love a pocket but it's not an absolute priority for me unless it's outwear. Many moons ago, well in the 1980's to be precise my mum inherited a whole bunch of hand tailored dresses from a lady she used to help, they were from the 1940's and everything about them was superb, swishy hemlines, beautiful fabric, colours to die for and they fit me perfectly and I'd often wear them, sadly with house moves etc and my mum passing they disappeared, she also inherited one of those "dead fox" stoles, which I'd wear to freak people out! She was also given an astrakhan coat, so elegant. I mean I much prefer to wear cruelty free fashion nowadays, but the elegance of the day has most certainly gone - back in the day even the most casual of attire looked classy! Fast forward to QVC and their definition of "tailoring" requires no more than a five year old kid, a pair of scissors and an overlocker!
.....and don't you love their analogies? I remember them flogging a $hit brown dress with white spots and these horrible white godet panels - yep, "Pretty woman"! If it's purple, its "regal" even if it's a dog walker's fleece, if it's got a slash neck then it's "very Audrey" I presume they mean Hepburn and not the old dear who collects the coats down the local bingo hall, and no, Brigitte Bardot wouldn't be seen dead in Ruthie's off the shoulder jumper or Kimmie's Capri pants sweaty leggings!

We think alike !!!

Yes, I forgot to mention - forget the prints. If its classy, its a block colour. Lucky you having 1940s fashions that fitted you, think how much they would fetch now. Yes, I too had a dead fox stole back in the early 70's when I was at the height of my 'hippiness' complete with floppy hat. My mum also passed on to me her beaver lamb coat - it was warm, BUT WHAT WERE WE THINKING ???

Love your description and I can picture a 5 year old with a pair of scissors :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Yep, its always 'Audrey' and 'Brigitte', there is never any mention of Grace Kelly - never heard of her I suppose.

Here she is in Rear Window with another Edith Head creation.......... fabulous

33930-rear-window.jpg

Don't we all. Growing up my Mum wore skirts with zips and cardigans in the winter, and cotton 'frock's with buttons and zips in summer. No "comfy" wear back in the 50's and 60's, and because most mums wore 'girdles' to hold their stockings up, most had great figures. Now wherever you look, young and old let it "all hang out", and never care about the size of their ar$es that block the sun out in their leggings !

Most people dressed quite formally no leisure wear then. To be fair I dont miss those times. I will wear a tracksuit for everyday life quite happily. But going out I will have nice dresses and shoes and a nice coat.

I've recorded that film. Looking fwds to watching after Mothers Day meal - (I need to cook....sigh)

Meanwhile, living the Cotswold dream: Saturday night.... attempting to unblock bog since 6pm. Making me cross.

Last year my then 16 year old granddaughter had her school leaving prom. Unlike most of her classmates who turned up in glittery long dresses with slits up to their knickers, cleavages bursting out and backless strappy dresses, enough makeup to sink a battleship and looking like ten bob Kardashians, she wanted a vintage look.
She doesnt often buy new clothes and scours Vinted, Ebay and charity shops for 99% of what she wears but did choose a new dress for her prom. Here`s a photo and it took tremendous courage for her to even attend her prom because she has Aspergers and usually avoids any social events like the plague. It took us almost an hour to convince her to go into the prom and her Dad sat in his car in the car park all night because he promised her if at any time she wanted to leave, he would be there waiting for her and would take her home.
maegan 1.jpg

Last year my then 16 year old granddaughter had her school leaving prom. Unlike most of her classmates who turned up in glittery long dresses with slits up to their knickers, cleavages bursting out and backless strappy dresses, enough makeup to sink a battleship and looking like ten bob Kardashians, she wanted a vintage look.
She doesnt often buy new clothes and scours Vinted, Ebay and charity shops for 99% of what she wears but did choose a new dress for her prom. Here`s a photo and it took tremendous courage for her to even attend her prom because she has Aspergers and usually avoids any social events like the plague. It took us almost an hour to convince her to go into the prom and her Dad sat in his car in the car park all night because he promised her if at any time she wanted to leave, he would be there waiting for her and would take her home.
View attachment 25436
Absolutely beautiful 😍

View attachment 25436
Beautiful - well done for going 🥰

View attachment 25436
You really can't beat classic elegance - I'm sure she was the belle of the ball!

View attachment 25436
Oh my goodness she is gorgeous; what wonderful skin. That dress is lovely and in the future it will still look lovely; won't date a bit. I have to say though, that I'd happily wrestle those shoes off her feet and run off with them.

Oh my goodness she is gorgeous; what wonderful skin. That dress is lovely and in the future it will still look lovely; won't date a bit. I have to say though, that I'd happily wrestle those shoes off her feet and run off with them.
The shoes were recycled from her Mum who had originally bought them for herself but decided they were too high for her and my granddaughter claimed them. The shoes are from Shein originally.

Latest posts

Back