Blender comparison tests on TV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
Programme on tonight "What to buy and why" BBC2 at 2030 compared about 8 smoothie blenders from cheap to expensive.

The programme wasn't very good IMO in showing the models and the conclusions.

They mentioned the Nutribullet at the start, but I'm not sure they even tested it, and the Ninja wasn't even mentoned.

This item was somewhere in the middle of the prog if you are interseted.

I've recorded that and will watch it over the weekend. I've decided to return the TSV without trying it and got the IQ one from Argos in the sale reduced to £79.99. I went to collect it today and the assistant said "that's £119.99" so I explained it was £79.99 when I reserved it and she charged me the lower price. I will get some fruit and veg over the weekend then give it a go.

I've got the Nutribullet and the Nutrimaster both from Ideal World at great prices and I've got to say they're both brilliant products . I use the Nutribullet for for the nutritional drinks and the Nutrimaster for everything else.

Horses for courses the old saying goes, and that's what I've found with blenders, I've got three! Sadly haven't managed to find one that does it all. Magic bullet - great for small jobs in the kitchen - chopping garlic, grinding coffee beans, parmesan, whipping up cream, making icing sugar, making smoothies, batter and a whole lot more! Ninja bullet - crushes ice, completely pulverises ingredients for health drinks, but far too big for all those small jobs ( a clove of garlic would get lost!) A stick blender for making soup. Now I know they say you can blend soup in the ninja or larger bullet, but you have to wait until it cools down in order to do so otherwise it is very dangerous, a stick blender you can simply take the pan off the heat and get blending immediately.

Imo, the Nutribullet or Ninja is only worthwhile if you do intend to make healthy drinks from fruit, veg and nuts etc. The regular Magic Bullet will make regular smoothies and milkshakes but so much more and for that it's my favourite blender. The stickblender is small, lives in the drawer when not in use and cost next to nothing! Got the Ninja as a wedding present, probably wouldn't have bought it for myself.

Having made frothy coffee a few times in my Ninja, using hot milk, I then saw a small moulded warning in the plastic "don't use hot liquids".

It worked OK, and the cups are dishwasher safe, so does anyone know why?

I watched it but may have had a senior moment as I think they said they were only going to test budget items.

Did you also watch 'Trust me I'm a Doctor..... as they concluded that anti-oxidant smoothies weren't all the makers claim.

BTW - It is correct that you have to keep holding down the Nutrininja whilst pulverising?

I was interested in the activity tracker review on the show too as I ordered the FitBit TSV on advanced orders. I use a phone app at the moment and it seems to work quite well for specific activities e.g. going for a walk but I thought a tracker would pick up general activity too. The activity trackers didn't seem to be much better than an app but I will give it a go and use the MBG if necessary.

I watched it but may have had a senior moment as I think they said they were only going to test budget items.

Did you also watch 'Trust me I'm a Doctor..... as they concluded that anti-oxidant smoothies weren't all the makers claim.

BTW - It is correct that you have to keep holding down the Nutrininja whilst pulverising?

I saw that report on smoothies. I'm working on the principle that fruit and veg is generally good for you. However people who are paying a fortune for anti-oxidant smoothies might be wasting their money. They also looked at protein shakes and came to the conclusion that they didn't help increase strength in people who exercised and also drank the shakes.

I saw that report on smoothies. I'm working on the principle that fruit and veg is generally good for you. However people who are paying a fortune for anti-oxidant smoothies might be wasting their money. They also looked at protein shakes and came to the conclusion that they didn't help increase strength in people who exercised and also drank the shakes.

My thought about these smoothies, and I don't mean the quick strawberry and banana ones we make or buy just 'cause they're nice, is that are we not just pulverising most of the goodness out of our fruit and veggies, nuts etc when we blend them?

Having made frothy coffee a few times in my Ninja, using hot milk, I then saw a small moulded warning in the plastic "don't use hot liquids".

It worked OK, and the cups are dishwasher safe, so does anyone know why?

I'm guessing that the heat perhaps causes the seal to shrink and the sheer force of the motor turning the blades causes the hot liquid to leak out. I've found that you can just about get away with frothing up warm milk, but i've found that on occassions it will leak slightly, or if it doesn't it almost explodes out of the cup once you've unscrewed the base! I discovered that frothing the milk when cold, then warming it in the microwave works just as well, and is a lot safer! As far as the diswasher bit is concerned, the cups and attachments are cold by the time we go to use them again so the seals have retracted to their regular size

Latest posts

Back