Bloom Faux Flowers!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

She always reminded me of walking day in my home town. All the local churches would gather their Sunday school kids, bedeck them in matching fluffy frocks and the boys in matching short trousers, shirts and bow ties. The kids would hang onto a long length of ribbon, probably so none got left behind or lost and at each end of the ribbon a lady from the Church would hold onto it and herd the kids in a straight line and telling little Johnny to stop picking his nose and young Julie to stop scratching her bum. The brass bands followed behind, the choirs and vicars in their newly starched cassocks, the brownies, girl guides and scouts who always looked like the poor relations in their well worn, often faded uniforms and the Rose Queen sitting on top of a truck and surrounded by her ladies in waiting and hanging on for dear life because old Fred driving the truck was heavy footed on the brakes.
The women who held the ribbons always appeared to compete with each other as the who could wear the fanciest frock and of course with matching shoes, hat or fascinator. Baskets of flowers would be carried by some of the little girls and the ribbons would have small bunches of flowers tied to it. I reckon Miss Peony flowers would have been right at home. Each Church tried to compete for the neatest ribbon lines, the fanciest frocks and best behaved kids who eventually got very tired and fedup and the youngest of whom wanted their Mum and tried to escape when they saw her waving at them from the crowd. By the end of the walks many frocks, shirts and bow ties would be drenched in snot, tears and stickiness from the boiled sweets the line ladies used to bribe the kids to stay put. The line ladies would have blisters from their new shoes, tide marks where their face powder had gathered under their chins from the sweat and stress of watching so many kids and literally trying to keep them in line and several hats will have drifted to the front or the back of heads on top of now flattened recently washed and set hair.
The final haul back to each respective Church as the walkers parted ways always resembled a herd of fancy dressed refugees, limping, crying, hungry, thirsty and silently vowing never to do it again.

Never heard of Whit Sunday walks or walking lines, so I googled . There are some wonderful images to bring it all to life.
Yep here`s a couple of images from my home town during the 1960`s
walking_day_1965_01.jpg
walking day.jpg

My Sunday school had an annual WHITSON TREAT in a field miles away, with things like a coconut shy, luck dips, loads of simple games, etc.

We were all carted off there in the backs of various lorries, no elf and safety then. That was one of the best parts of it for me.

I hope the ironic tone of my previous post came across!!! (Or maybe I do secretly aspire to the fairy-on-top-of-the-cake-with-flowers look. All I would then need is a musical box and a wind-up and I'm sorted!)

Re Whitsun - we didn't do anything for that but always had a May Day maypole with little girls in white with bells dancing through the streets.

It was my nephew's wedding last Saturday; a wonderful, if bittersweet day, & the first wedding we'd been to where the ceremony was held outside. I bought this dress several months ago, absolutely love it but even last week I was dithering over whether it was suitable for a 62 year old. Only my Mr T knew what I was wearing & our younger daughter was convinced that I was going to be in fancy dress the number of times I said that it might be unsuitable. I loved wearing it & it was the ballerina length skirt that made it feel very 1950s & special. I hope the link works.

It was my nephew's wedding last Saturday; a wonderful, if bittersweet day, & the first wedding we'd been to where the ceremony was held outside. I bought this dress several months ago, absolutely love it but even last week I was dithering over whether it was suitable for a 62 year old. Only my Mr T knew what I was wearing & our younger daughter was convinced that I was going to be in fancy dress the number of times I said that it might be unsuitable. I loved wearing it & it was the ballerina length skirt that made it feel very 1950s & special. I hope the link works.

Thats a beautiful dress T. I love it !

Thats a beautiful dress T. I love it !
Thank you, it received many compliments & it was really comfortable. I may never have an opportunity to wear it again but my sister & I did everything we could to look our best as a tribute to her wonderful, & desperately missed husband, who would have been so proud of his older boy.

Thank you, it received many compliments & it was really comfortable. I may never have an opportunity to wear it again but my sister & I did everything we could to look our best as a tribute to her wonderful, & desperately missed husband, who would have been so proud of his older boy.
Yes I`m sure he would be ever so proud of you all for keeping strong and making the day as special as you could for the loved ones he left behind. I firmly believe those who have left us do miss us as much as we miss them and my late husband always promised me if he could watch over us from wherever he went, then he would do. He knew he was dying and said he was going on a journey, he didn`t know where and he didn`t know when but that it would be an adventure and if he could visit us, be around us and watch over us then he would. Your BIL would have been there in one form or another of that I`m sure.

That’s a lovely dress, Twilight. 🙂 No wonder you got compliments.
Thank you, I think it was the dress rather than me but you're very kind. We've been invited to a party on HMS Belfast next month, dress code is informal & I find that really difficult. It's the 70th of one of my Mr T's climbing friends, I won't know any of the guests; this delightful man lost his wife two years ago in the most tragic family circumstances & I'm dreading saying or doing something stupid. If I was wearing smart or formal clothes I'd be able to 'hide' behind them, instead I'm just going to have to concentrate on talking about the weather.

Concur that the dress is stunning and absolutely appropriate and very special!

I must admit I googled “coast Chlöe Bardot” bc link wouldn’t work at first and the dresses which popped up were not this one! And I did think if you’d worn the dress I found, you’d have been upstaging the bridesmaids!!

But love your dress!

Beautiful dress - you must have looked fab!

I've always thought of dying as changing channels.

As I type this I have BBC1 on my TV but I know that there are dozens of channels out there that I cannot watch because my television is not tuned to them, but if I pick up my remote control and push a button I can view any of them.

I think of my loved ones, both human and pets that have died as being on another channel, I know that they are out there but I can't view them because I haven't got the correct remote control.

Bloom flaaaars look like they are taking over from Peony Flaaaars. The quality looks far better imo.

Dopey Simon asked the BA this morning about a phaleonopsauras , "where would you place it" - her face was a picture. She said "weeeell, in the hall would look fine, but you could move it around to give it a fresh look". I know where I would tell him to place it, honest to God, do they not listen to themselves when asking puerile questions ?

Latest posts

Back