Brands we’ve lost that America still has

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thanks - so long since I've bought any. Is rhodium precious, or a 'base metal'?
Will it upset my ears? Can only wear gold, but would love to not have to.

Rhodium is a chemical element with the symbol Rh and atomic number 45. It is an extraordinarily rare, silvery-white, hard, corrosion-resistant, and chemically inert transition metal. It is a noble metal and a member of the platinum group

Rhodium adds shine, luster, and durability to jewelry. It gives jewelry a bright, reflective quality and protects against scratches and tarnish. Rhodium is naturally nickel-free so any jewelry that is plated with rhodium is hypoallergenic

Rhodium is a precious metal often ten times as costly as gold; the rhodium itself will not turn your finger green or any other color

Information from Mr.Google

Isn’t it multiple times more expensive than gold or platinum and very little mined most of which is used for medical purposes or in cars catalytic converters.

(info courtesy of QI)

Rhodium is a chemical element with the symbol Rh and atomic number 45. It is an extraordinarily rare, silvery-white, hard, corrosion-resistant, and chemically inert transition metal. It is a noble metal and a member of the platinum group

Rhodium adds shine, luster, and durability to jewelry. It gives jewelry a bright, reflective quality and protects against scratches and tarnish. Rhodium is naturally nickel-free so any jewelry that is plated with rhodium is hypoallergenic

Rhodium is a precious metal often ten times as costly as gold; the rhodium itself will not turn your finger green or any other color

Information from Mr.Google
But silver is the most shiny, reflective metal of all, so Rhodium won't be quite as shiny as the silver underneath.

Isn’t it multiple times more expensive than gold or platinum and very little mined most of which is used for medical purposes or in cars catalytic converters.

(info courtesy of QI)
This explains why there has been a spate of robberies where the thieves didn't steal the cars, just the catalytic converter.

Thanks - so long since I've bought any. Is rhodium precious, or a 'base metal'?
Will it upset my ears? Can only wear gold, but would love to not have to.
Rhodium doesn't usually cause a reaction but you'd have to check the plating hadn't worn away; if you didn't wear them on a daily basis this would take years so I'd say you'd be fine.

I remember back in the old days when QVC took phone calls on air someone asked why they didn't do jewellery in only Rhodium? Whoever was on said it was too expensive more than platinum and that was why it was only used to plate jewellery

I see no point at all in WHITE GOLD, as this is also Rhodium plated, so it may as well be made of silver, at a fraction of the price.

From Google - - - Apart from the alloys mixed in with the pure gold, white gold jewellery is additionally coated in a precious metal known as rhodium. Rhodium comes from the same metal family as platinum.

It adds further strength and durability, and importantly, a really lustrous white surface sheen – making it the ideal metal to coat and protect jewellery.

Excuse me Strato! I love white gold. It is not all about how shiny it is. Women may prefer white metals you don't get engagement rings in silver unless custom-made. The platinum may be too expensive, but they want their diamonds, rubies, emeralds and sapphires in white gold.

Excuse me Strato! I love white gold. It is not all about how shiny it is. Women may prefer white metals you don't get engagement rings in silver unless custom-made. The platinum may be too expensive, but they want their diamonds, rubies, emeralds and sapphires in white gold.
My point was, if you like the silver colour, why spend 100 times more on gold, then alloy it with tin and silver so it looks whitish, then plate it with rhodium to make it look silver.

It would be a fraction of the price to use silver as the base, and then plate that with rhodium, it would look EXACTLY the same as white gold.

As for me, I like the colour of gold and rose gold. so that's what I have to buy, apart from gold plated silver (Veronese - - remember that?)

Latest posts

Back