Brazilian Alexandrite - New Collection

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sacha

Keep calm - Log on
Just watching the Don premiering his brand new limited collection of Brazilian Alexandrite. First ring sold out in seconds...
at well over a grand! Anybody else viewing? Item 879 941 - a marquise cut looks rather splendid!

I know alexandrite is expensive, but over a grand for 0.69ct seems a bit extortionate to me!

I love Alexandrite but I did had loads of OMG moments at the prices of yesterdays launch.

But it did look really good quality .

Although did Rocks and Co pay a shed load of money for the small Alexandrite bundle or did they make bundles of money on a huge mark up with it's customer base completed hyped up at the launch and so snatched everything that was on offer?

Rocks and Co is still my favourite jewellery channel with best quality gems IMHO.

I love Alexandrite, i'd love a larger certified stone wouldn't know where to look or who to trust lol
I'll have to make do with what i've got for now ;)

I love Alexandrite but I did had loads of OMG moments at the prices of yesterdays launch.

But it did look really good quality .

Although did Rocks and Co pay a shed load of money for the small Alexandrite bundle or did they make bundles of money on a huge mark up with it's customer base completed hyped up at the launch and so snatched everything that was on offer?

Rocks and Co is still my favourite jewellery channel with best quality gems IMHO.

Me too! :mysmilie_61:

I'm still taken aback at the speed those high priced pieces left the building, presumably....unlike me....their new owners had done their research on this source of Alex. And hopefully they will find a very good colour change.......for the money paid!

DK seemed to imply that he had bought this small parcel from a collector who wasn't 100% savvy on gemstones and so you might think he got it for a good price?

Mind you he always was a good (and enthusiastic) salesman........:wink:

Last edited:
I fancy when Don was asked about the colour change he did'nt really go on much about the change of colour more about the special blue/green colour it was in the studio light box maybe the new Alex is'nt so good on that aspect of changing colour ,I wonder how many pieces will be returned when people have time to see what they have bought and the price paid in the heat of the moment and the hyped up salesmanship.It'll be interesting to see what comes up for sale again as they were adament this was all there is.

Brazilian Alex is famed for it's blue/green daylight colour BUT as others have said, this doesn't mean that the colour change will be good. The value (and how to tell good quality Alex) is mostly in the colour change. Of course, size and clarity pay a part but first and foremost it's the colour change that determines the price AND it makes a huge difference.

There isn't much good Alex on the market at the moment as most mines have been mined out or have simply stopped producing. Certainly I don't know of any Brazilian Alex for sale in bulk. Just as a matter of interest, is this being sold with a lab report denoting origin? A lab report denoting origin AND that it's a natural Alex are, I'm afraid, becoming essential. I have in the last 5 years seen some very good synthetic Alex with natural looking inclusions. I'm not suggesting for a moment that these pieces are anything other than natural BUT a savvy buyer spending lots of money should always bear this in mind and make the sale subject to testing - irrespective of the seller.

Anything over 1ct (if it's good quality) will command a high price. If the colour change isn't there though, the value isn't either. For a determination of current prices look at www.muticolour.com David Weinberg who runs it is an Alex expert and his prices reflect the quality. It's a very good benchmark.

I worship Alexandrite. Alas, can't afford the real thing, but I have some 'faux' stones that are fun for the colour change. Some treated lab-grown sapphires that go from pale teal green, through violet, to a spectacular blood-red in the right lighting conditions. Only cost a few £ on eBay and they are so pretty.

Would love the real deal, tho!

Latest posts

Back