Brows!!!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Glamourkitty

Registered Shopper
I am watching the Gary Cockerill show and the dual brow pencil. Is this the new trend of ' laminated brows' on the before picture?

It is brushing them straight up to make them look fuller and then perming them into that shape. If you google it, some of the pictures are quite scary.
It's the model at about 5 mins 20 sec on the video.

Last edited:
The active ingredient in perm solution is ammonium thioglycolate; it breaks down bonds in hair so that if it's applied & left the hair becomes completely straight. I've only had one perm, it was an unmitigated disaster & the following day I went to the most expensive salon I've ever known, signed a waiver & had my hair de-permed. I think some of the pictures look dead daft.

Twi, it couldn’t possibly have been as bad as the ones I had! (note not one but several and all bad)

Very thick hair with a mind of its own. Whilst the hairdresser was putting in one roller the previous would shoot out across the floor so I usually ended up with very curly and not curly at all bits.

Every perm I ever had back in the 70`s were a disaster. One perm failed miserably and my hair fell straight just hours after leaving the hairdressers and another perm made me look like Kevin Keegan. I never bothered with a perm ever again.

My mother gave me a home perm in the early 70s to give my hair "some body", it was very fine and flyaway (still is). I cried for at least 2 days and didn't want to leave the house. I was about 10 or 11.

I had a curly perm in the late 70s but never had one since.

My mother used to do home perms many years ago, the stink was terrible, I usually had to go out.
……when she’d finished doing your perm. 😉😂

Attachments

• 4447C171-C395-46D4-9079-AACF83032D7E.jpeg
    4447C171-C395-46D4-9079-AACF83032D7E.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 51
Twi, it couldn’t possibly have been as bad as the ones I had! (note not one but several and all bad)

Very thick hair with a mind of its own. Whilst the hairdresser was putting in one roller the previous would shoot out across the floor so I usually ended up with very curly and not curly at all bits.

Every perm I ever had back in the 70`s were a disaster. One perm failed miserably and my hair fell straight just hours after leaving the hairdressers and another perm made me look like Kevin Keegan. I never bothered with a perm ever again.
I feel the pain. I looked like John McEnroe after mine and couldn't wait to get my hair cut short to get rid of it... then I did it again and one side took but the other didn't. Nightmare.

I never had a perm, natural kink in my hair. But, I have done them to others, my aunt said I could not put the rollers in tight enough. She liked them put in so tight it looked like she was in a wind tunnel. Years passed, and a friend asked me to do the home perm, she complained I did the rollers too tight. She had fine dead straight hair and no way would it curl so having just a bit of a wave was okay.

I used to colour my mum's hair as a teenager, my SIL was a hairdresser so gave her the card to get into the place where hairdressers got the professional dye etc. I have done highlights etc for friends as well. I have never had the urge to ever be a hairdresser.

Just been listening to Steve Wright on Radio 2, and he is talking about his worst smells.

He said his was perms. Amazing how these coincidences crop up (see previous posts).

I haven't even thought about the stink of perms for 50 years, was listening to Radio 4, changed to Radio 2, and there was SW taking about the exact same thing.

When I was 9 my mother cut my very long straight hair, which is still straight as a dye today, to just below my ears and then gave me a Twink perm which shrunk my hair further up my head! My dad was so upset and took me out for the day, I can still recall every boy on the top deck of the bus to Liverpool crying with laughter. I should have had counselling for that trauma! Still paranoid over hairdressers cutting over my big ears.

When I was 9 my mother cut my very long straight hair, which is still straight as a dye today, to just below my ears and then gave me a Twink perm which shrunk my hair further up my head! My dad was so upset and took me out for the day, I can still recall every boy on the top deck of the bus to Liverpool crying with laughter. I should have had counselling for that trauma! Still paranoid over hairdressers cutting over my big ears.
Did you find out why this was done?

My mum was a hairdresser who worked from home. Every day when we got in from school, there were at least two women with their hair in rollers, sat under dryers and either a perm, set or colour rinse taking place as well.

Latest posts

Back